Fuel overheating - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Fuel overheating

I recently installed a new procharger. As part of the upgrade I needed to bring my regulator up near the throttle body. It would run fine till the engine warmed up . Then the unused fuel would divert back to the tank. After this cycled thru a few times the gas would get very hot. I think I heard it boil. Not good. The hot gas would cavitate in the In tank Walbro fuel pump and lean out the engine and quit. I have since moved the regulator over near the left side of the firewall over the heater core cover. Now the header get it pretty hot. I can move it over a little more. I have also thought about wrapping it with insulating heat tape. Or I was thinking of running the lines all the way up to the radiator support thru the clip. Then mount the regulator on the radiator support and running the supply from the front to the front port of the fuel inlets on the throttle body. Anybody have experience with this problem and how to solve it. I have a big block with headers and a Procharger under the hood. The radiator keeps the engine cool enough but it still gets hot on the regulator and fuel lines.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 10, 09:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

Re: Fuel overheating

I did finally got to check out my fixes that we talked about in your previous thread. They WORKED!! The up side: No vapor lock or fuel related heat issues! The not so up side: 1)It cost a F'n lot of cash. 2)I realized that my expensive Tilton starter will not turn when really heat soaked. 3)Wrapping my exhaust made my car so quiet at idle that every mustang in the world wants to take a shot at me.

We had the Woodward cruse last week/weekend. I baked the snot out of the car. The rear bumper was so hot that I had to warn people not to brush up against it! It is really hard to get seared flesh off chrome without scratching!

67 RS Convertible - 496 L88 appearing Motion tribute, 6 speed, DSE 4-Link, 9 inch, Forgeline wheels. Current status: suspension upgrades and paint ongoing.
72 C10 longbed - 565 Twin Turbo, 4L85E, Forgeline wheels. Current status: engine build and inter-cooled upper intake construction. still needs paint.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 10, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

So wrapping the headers really helped with the heat? What did you wrap it with?

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 10, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Tube headers give off alot of heat, moreso than cast iron manifolds.
He probably use a header wrap to contain the heat within. Also quiets them down.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 04:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

I used Design Engineering header wrap. I wrapped the headers from the sub frame down so you have to really look to see it. It took six rolls to do the whole exhaust... At $50 a roll. I also put 'fire sleeve' on the fuel and return lines where they come close to the exhaust. It also keeps you from cooking your feet on the floor. I will take some pictures and post them if you are interested.

I also fixed the starter problem this weekend. I took apart the solenoid and found galling between the solenoid and the plunger. I smoothed out the solenoid and polished the plunger. Now it works better than ever. I then went back and tore down my old one that I used for fifteen years...same failure. It seems strange that they wouldn't polish them from the factory.

67 RS Convertible - 496 L88 appearing Motion tribute, 6 speed, DSE 4-Link, 9 inch, Forgeline wheels. Current status: suspension upgrades and paint ongoing.
72 C10 longbed - 565 Twin Turbo, 4L85E, Forgeline wheels. Current status: engine build and inter-cooled upper intake construction. still needs paint.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Yes, please post some pics. I ran 15 foot lengths of the sst braided teflon core hose from the tank up through the sub frame and out near the radiator. I mounted the regulator on the radiator support and ran a line over to the front of the throttle body. Much simpler install. I removed several connections on the supply and return side and hopefully should not have a heat proble. Next step would be to wrap the headers and possibly part of the subframe.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

If you have your fuel line run to the core support, have you considered adding a cooler in front of the radiator? I have seen people do it before. I don't care for the idea myself. It seems like a good way to incinerate yourself. I will take some pictures tonight.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 04:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

I guess that I will have to get the car on a hoist for under-car shots. I ended up with a lot of not very descriptive pictures. I can show you what did turn out. First picture is wide shot. Regulator is at the left just behind the air cleaner. The fuel line and return line are at the left, running down to the frame.

The next two are the drivers side showing the header wrap.

The next is the passenger side where the fuel lines run next to the exhaust. The orange color is the fire wire covering the fuel and return lines.

The last two are the header behind the front wheel, and the tail pipes behind the rear wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5283small.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	17540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5285small.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	17541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5301small.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	17542  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5307small.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	17543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5287small.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	17544   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5295small.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	17545  

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 08:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Do a search on here.....best remedy is put regulator back at the tank and return there. Deadhead at fuel rails . Been done by big power boys with zero problems. Good luck

68 coupe ,572,tko
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 08:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

There are a lot of posts on the boating forums that I read talking about vapor lock due to the increasing levels of ethanol in today's fuel. I suspect this is a contributing factor. I have also seen cases of headers collapsing after being wrapped in the insulating tape due to metal fatigue from the heat that is held in. You may want to keep an eye out for this. The problems were more common with the cheaper headers that had thinner tubing walls, but I would think that even the thicker tube headers could succumb to this after a while.

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 09:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

Tom makes a good point about the headers. On normal steel headers you might run into a rust problem as well. I am running 304 stainless steel .065 wall headers. These headers have seen 60,000 miles of wrapped torture and never seen a crack. They were 'donated' from my previous car!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Thanks for the inputs. I have run two new line of teflon core sst braided line from the tank up thru the front clip out the hole near the radiator. I mounted the regulator on the radiator support and ran a single line over to the throttle body. We shall see how it handles the heat. It is definitely much cooler away from the headers. I used a clamp to hold the sst hoses up over the Air Ride shock in the frame. The way the shock is designed it should not compress near the hoses. My old system had the regulator back at the tank and had no problems like this. However when I went to the Procharger I was told I needed to bring the regulator up front. Getting ready to install my new Wilwood 6 piston brakes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode