Fuel pump location - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Fuel pump location

I currently have a in tank fuel pump. Walbro 255. However last summer I overheated the fuel and the pump was pumping bubbles a few times. Now I have relocated the Fuel lines, the regulator, installed a fuel radiator etc to minimize heat. The pump works until the car warms up, then I get vapor lock or the pump is just getting ready to die. The fuel gage at the throttle body goes from 45 psi to 20 and the engine dies. I dont think it is vapor lock because the fuel lines feel cool enough as does the regulator. So I am thinking the pump is going bad. I purchased a like new original tank from a guy with a Z28 and it is awesome. I also bought a new dual piped/sending unit that goes in the stock hole. I was thinking of going back to a stock tank and mounting an external tank. Probably make a bracket to hold it and mount it right outside the front of the tank. Or is it OK to mount the fuel pump up front on the outer subframe? It would be lower than the tank. This has been an ongoing issue for me and put a major damper on my cruising last summer. I really want to fix it this winter.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Fuel pump location

The in-tank pump will push fuel better than sucking fuel from the tank.
Why not replace the in-tank pump? Fuel line routing after the pump shouldn't make a difference.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Well I thought about that but I have had problems with them and I am hoping the externals are more reliable. The in tanl\k caused me to cut a hole in the trunk and I want to go back to the standard tank. Weld up the hole in the trunk. I found a sender from ROBBMC with 1/2" pipes with AN8 fitting on them. This way I can use a standard tank with a aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump. This is what I am thinking at this point.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I believe the plan is a good fix.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 04:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

If you use the aeromotive pump be sure to get the speed controller. I was going that route and Frank at Prodigy talked me out of it. He said wayyyyyyy to many problems with those pumps. That Walbro is a heck of a good pump. The only idea I have about the pressure dropping besides acutal pump failing would be an electrical issue...such as grounding problem , etc. You may want to check voltage at the connection before and after the pressure drops.

68 coupe ,572,tko
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 05:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvervet View Post
If you use the aeromotive pump be sure to get the speed controller. I was going that route and Frank at Prodigy talked me out of it. He said wayyyyyyy to many problems with those pumps. That Walbro is a heck of a good pump. The only idea I have about the pressure dropping besides acutal pump failing would be an electrical issue...such as grounding problem , etc. You may want to check voltage at the connection before and after the pressure drops.
Hmmm, A1000 huh? I've got one of those. Had it three years. It's only failed ONCE. Wish me luck.
The outside power wires are fed through the housing to the motor. A wire on the inside came loose. Good luck fixing it. I tried. By the time I invented a new way to connect the inside wire, the O ring was too swollen to re-use. They fixed it. $100., for air freight, but the repair was free.
Just add me to the list Frank.

Oh Man! Forgot.
The A1000 fittings are proprietary. You gotta use their stuff. It looks like AN but it's theirs and costs a lot.

See the black things between the filters and pumps? That's those nasty swivels that are Aeromotive only. Hell, so is all the rest of those parts. Be warned.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Interesting info on the aeromotive pump. Maybe I will rethink my strategy. Maybe an external walbro mounted like freds. Any other good external pumps out there? One other tidbit. I never had a problem until I installed the pro charger and was told I needed to move the regulator up in he engine bay. Seems the heat in the engine bay is warming up the fuel and recirculating it to the tank. I have thought about putting the regulator back at the tank also.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

I am using a Holley inline pump (HOL12-90) mounted just in front of the tank, Had it about 6 months with no problems, real quiet, it was about $200.00 from Grand Prix Autosports.
Scott

68 RS COUPE LS1

2000 F-350

3 HORSES
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 07:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=140637

I researched the piss out of this... post above is what I did. So far so good. Pumps are OK outside of the tank but work best when in-tank...

Clean 67 - 600hp / 579ft lb, 502
St Petersburg, FL
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 10, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Looks like Mallory and Paxton have some descent In lines. Anybody have any experience with these? As a next step I may try to re-install my regulator back near the tank or I may go to my latest design since I already have a new old tank that is untouched and use the RobbMC sender with an external pump. Decisions, decisions. No hurry now, we are about to get a storm in Denver. We have had 50 degree days all through the Holidays.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode