LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 11, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Send a message via AIM to rp0029
It begins!!!! lq4 into 68 camaro.

This:

Is going into this:

I got tired of the sputtering, backfires, cold starts, and having to retune every time the weather changed so I took the plunge. It is a 90,000 mile 6.0 liter lq4 that came complete with all accessories, computer, and everything from a 2006 silverado.
My plan is to get this engine installed and running with my th350 and an adaptor. I'm going to get the edelbrock plates and conversion longtube headers, and an efi tank.
Once it runs I'm going to put in a 4l80e and 8.5 posi Nova rear.
I feel the 6.0 liter lq4, with its 4 inch bore and 6 bolt mains, makes a much better base powerplant for future upgrades (read "l92 heads") than the ls1.
Wish me luck!!

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Modern, fuel injected LS engine DAILY DRIVER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 11, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: It begins!!!! lq4 into 68 camaro.

Ought to be a nice story and ride.
Take pictures, plenty of them, take notes, intake & headers, 400 HP, add a camshaft, MSD ignition, heads, your L92's, 500 HP.
But, you gotta have an accessory belt......

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 11, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech
Jess

I want to try this kind of conversion. I like getting in my truck and it starting right up and no problems...

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 11, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

These engines are super cheap. This one was in pristine shape and included all accessories, including ecm, for $1500. Even that is on the high side, but I bought it locally. The headers are $500, l92 heads can be had used for $500, a GM hot cam and springs another $3-400, and upgraded intake/rails/TB another $400. Are there any other engines with which you get 500 reliable daily driven HP for under four grand?

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 11, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

Hi Ryan, I did this swap (LS1) last summer, you will be amazed at the difference it makes. I pulled a 305 tuned port out of my 68RS and I think it had to hurry to get 200 HP. I installed a Texas speed cam and new springs in mine, it already had the newer LS6 intake on it. Its not a real pain to do this swap, just take your time and do your research. I believe the most common problem that people have doing this swap is they dont match the headers with the engine mount adapters. If I can be of any help along the way please contact me, I probably can give you some part numbers and such to cut down on the guesswork. After going from a 305 to an LS1 my car is scary fast in my opinion, that said, I have never been in a blown engine car either.

68 RS COUPE LS1

2000 F-350

3 HORSES
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 11, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Thanks, Scott! I'm getting the project started this weekend, pulling out the 383. Tell me this: do you know of any swap headers that will bolt to the flowmaster system?

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 11, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech

I got my ls1 swap running last year, now I'm doing the 4l80 swap. I have the 8.5 nova rear and my 17" torq thrust 2's arrived today... great minds think alike!

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 11, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

Not sure Ryan, I put Hookers on my car with plain old flowmaster mufflers. Speaking of headers, I mulled the the price of coated or uncoated, my budget is not a big one so I went with uncoated. They have been on the car for awhile and still look nice. So if you have a budget like mine, this is a area you could save a little money.

68 RS COUPE LS1

2000 F-350

3 HORSES
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 11, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Hookers bolted up to flowmasters? What mounting plates did you use, and did you use? Tell me how awesome this swap is!

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 11, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp0029 View Post
Hookers bolted up to flowmasters? What mounting plates did you use, and did you use? Tell me how awesome this swap is!
edelbrock sells a kit with headers and full exhaust thats all bolt in, but most muffler shops could connect anyone's header to any header back exhaust for under $100.or if you have a friend with a welder they are easy to fab up

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 11, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

I saw that system. It doesn't seem to have o2 bungs in place but the parts will work together. I will probably go that route.

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 11, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

My hookers did not have a bung in the header itself, but came with a sleeve that has the bungs in them and they slip over the end of the header. From there I just had the muffler shop re attach the pipes to my existing exhaust.
when I did my swap I got the engine,transmission (4L60E) ECM,Harness,all the accesories, not sure if you knew it but you can use the harness that came with the motor. I sent mine to a guy in arkansas, he reworked it and added the required relays for about $200.00. He also will rework your ecm if need be.I dont remember his name but his number is (479-841-5584). He did have an add on ebay in the LS1 section not sure if he still does. I was lucky there, my friend has a program on his laptop and did my ecm and all of my tuning at no charge.

68 RS COUPE LS1

2000 F-350

3 HORSES
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 11, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

I'll probably get speartech to rework the harness and program the ecm. I'm using the truck harness.

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 11, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

I was very happy with speartech. They always answer the phone and were very helpful. They do the conversions as well, so they can help with more than just their wiring harnesses. They had some nice grommets for the firewall that I could not find locally. Good luck with your swap amd post some pics...
Scott

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 11, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech
sako

Good luck, should be nice after your done.
Oh, dont forget the OIL PAN cost. The truck pan hangs to low.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode