Pro flow 3500 in 68 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 11, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Pro flow 3500 in 68 camaro

I am just now getting around to installing a orig pro-flow 3500 in my 68. Yes...it has been on the shelf A LONG time waiting to be put to use.......

Anyway....I am looking for ideas/pictures on mounting the coil (non HEI Dizzy), the IGN AMP, and the fuel pump relay and fuses.......I am mounting the ECU up behind the glove box.

The manual says to mount the fuel pump relay and fuses inside....I do not have a problem with that....except it makes them less accessible.......

I have a heater box, which takes up alot of space on the firewall, but the coil and IGN amp could go above it....but it makes things kind of crowded looking.....

Am not looking to create a show car, have "average" automotive skills, just looking for ideas for mounting those items....pictures would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 11, 06:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl
Re: Pro flow 3500 in 68 camaro

I made a plate & mounted my relays ( fuel pump, elec fans & headlight upgrade ) next to the rally headilght relays behind the water bottle.

http://image62.webshots.com/662/4/5/...3sYiBMZ_fs.jpg

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 11, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the idea....I am in the process of moving the coil, and Ign amplified to the inside of the firewall.....

Nice pics...

Just a matter of taking time to see what will work where.....

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 04:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

How about making a mount for fuses & relays & hide them in glove box ?

Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Glove box....pretty good idea....I am mounting the ECU above it....and probably going to mount the coil and Ign amp on the inside of the firewall....the only problem with that is that the bolts/screws will still show on the engine side of the firewall......
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 09:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

mine are on engine side

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...5/IMG_2288.jpg

Rick

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Camaro67:.....looks good...I still have the original heater box in the way and if I mount them above it...just does not look real good.....

Thanks for the picture...

I see you are from Philly.....GO EAGLES!.....I was born and raised across the river in a little town..."Bordentown".....was stationed down at the Philly navy yard on a reserve DD for several years and made the trip everyday.....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 01:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Guy's , FWIW, I installed the 3500 proflow on my ZZ3 crate motor in my older 57'. I found out the amp box (where the module is) gets very hot so you might consider putting it somewhere it can get plenty of ambient cooling. Maybe on the grille area, hood latch support? Just splice the wiring to make it longer.

As for the fuel pump, unless the changed it from the early design and sealed flow thru model, I would look at putting it on the outside of the frame, rear q-panel , closest to tank. I also put the fuel pump relays close by, shield from water with a cover.

I had problems early on back in 2000 with the air ambient sensor, I believe its still mounted into the intake? I spoke with the Eddy engineer and he instructed to take it away from the motor and heat(it did not know what to do when temps was over 140į) so I plugged the hole and put it in the path of ambient air also. Problem was when it got hot (here over 100į), motor would surge like a blower car and I could not make enough changes with the controller to overcome it.

Once I got it working well, I was getting 23 mpg with a 3.70 gear and a 700R4.

Also,,if you happen to need a fuel pressure regulator(mounted between fuel rails just behind the thermostat housing) I have an extra. Its of no use to me now, sold car and I had a few parts left over.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

zdld17: Thanks for the info.....my only concern about splicing the wires to make it longer would be...the added resistance of the wire......Adding resistance to the circuit changes the current flow and voltage drop......not sure if that would effect the ECU or not.

Re: fuel pressure reg and any other parts: Just now installing mine, and do not really "need" them, but it is always nice to have spares just in case.....if the price is right.....let me know.

Jim
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 05:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

just go up one size in wire & it should be just fine. How about mounting the Ign amp behind the battery ?

Rick

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks...will take a look out by the front grille tonight...see what space is avail.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Spoke to the tech at Edelbrock...they said there is no problem with splicing the original harness....within a "reasonable" distance.....They said I did not even have to worry about going up one size in wire gauge.....just to make sure the splice's are done right.....

I am going to look into moving the fuel pump relay, ign amp and fuses to the core support instead of inside....the ECU and coil will probably go inside.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblakes View Post
zdld17: Thanks for the info.....my only concern about splicing the wires to make it longer would be...the added resistance of the wire......Adding resistance to the circuit changes the current flow and voltage drop......not sure if that would effect the ECU or not.

Re: fuel pressure reg and any other parts: Just now installing mine, and do not really "need" them, but it is always nice to have spares just in case.....if the price is right.....let me know.

Jim
Meant to say in first note that I put the ecm in the kick panel area but I had more area in the 57 than I think you do in the 68. How about under the seat.
Regulator is free for the postage. Anyone.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 05:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I hid my ecu behind battery ,,, was thinking under paasenger seat but harness was not long enough.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e.../JSP355/27.jpg

Rick

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hmmmm...behind the battery looks pretty good...easy access without removing the glove box......I will have to check and see if my harness is long enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode