Mass Air Flow Build - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Mass Air Flow Build

I have a little down time waiting for the warm air to get here, (No Heated work area) and as usual I am over thinking everything.
I think I may switch everything from my 750 AV Demon to a Fuel Injection unit on my 383. This is the setup I am thinking about and why. As usual I would like your opinions, but please give a reason for them. This is for my education as well as any one else's who may follow this thread.

The manifold I want to use is the Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT. It has a good look, it is a newer design that the Stealth Ram. It has an Air Gap around the runners to help keep them cooler. Of course that may be perception, but that is why I use an RPM Air Gap now.

My Yenko hood would allow a little more fresh air in or better yet the hot air out.

For electronics, I was thinking about using the Mass Flow Harness, computer and sensors. This system uses factory parts, so they would be easily replaceable over the counter, and since it is Mass Air Flow, It is really self tuning. I would not have to try to adjust the fuel up and down, it would really do it itself. It also uses Two O2 sensors, where the Edelbrock and the Holley systems only use one. It is also Sequential Port not Batch Fire, Which is a bit more efficient.

http://www.massfloefi.com/why-our-system-page-2

I would not use their Throttle body Sensor setup; I would get a Pro-M 80 Mass Air Flow Meter. It has no restriction in the air path, and is big enough that I would have room to move up in the future.

http://www.massfloefi.com/mass-air-meters-stand-alone-meters-c-24_26/pro80-p-79

For a fuel tank I would get the redesigned Spectra EFI First Generation Fuel Tank. With the new baffle system.

Divided Turkey Pan Baffle

Yes it isn't a $1000 Ricks tank, but it doesn't cost $1000 Either. It runs around $350.

I could replace my Mallory Unilite Distributer with the Hall Effect Triggering Mallory Computer Controlled Distributor.

http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/DistrbutorsAftermarketFuelInjection.pdf

This would leave the only thing I would actually get from Mass Flow is the Computer, 30# or 36# Fuel Injectors matched to the Pro-M 80 Mass Air Flow Meter, the meter itself, and the Harness.

Last I would change my cam to the Comp Cams 280 XFI 13. The lift is real close to what I have now, but it has 113 Deg Separation instead of the 110 Degrees I have now.
The numbers look good on the Desktop Dyno, but then again, that is not the real world.

I am running a 383 Chevy 10.5-1 Compression, AFR 195 Cylinder heads with 65cc Chambers, and MAHLE flat top pistons. My Exhaust is a Pypes 3 inch, and my Headers are Headman 1 5/8 with 3" collectors.
Mass Flo said they would build the harness for this whenever I wanted to do it.

SO! What do you think?

Follow my build here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Balanced 350, Eagle rotating assy, Mahle Flat top Forged pistons, AFR 195 cylinder heads, AFR Hydrorev kit, Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Cam, comp Pro Mag Ultra Roller Rockers, Edelbrock AirGap RPM Manifold.
Live to rev!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 01:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Mass Air Flow Build

I run the Pro Flo XT, like you showed, LOVE it, still need some more tuning. not really insterested, I run it as a speed denisty, The MAS and air filter will not clear a fan shround and fan, I dont think they will clear the radiator support?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2392.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	20616   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2393.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	20617  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by john68 View Post
I run the Pro Flo XT, like you showed, LOVE it, still need some more tuning. not really insterested, I run it as a speed denisty, The MAS and air filter will not clear a fan shround and fan, I dont think they will clear the radiator support?
I am runnung a CSR Electric Water pump and an Aluminun Radiator with Short Shroud with Electric Fan, But I would run the Air tube to the side and through the Core support. This Meter would be at the end of the tube.

Spectre makes this for the First Generation Camaro with the hot air shield.

Follow my build here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Balanced 350, Eagle rotating assy, Mahle Flat top Forged pistons, AFR 195 cylinder heads, AFR Hydrorev kit, Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Cam, comp Pro Mag Ultra Roller Rockers, Edelbrock AirGap RPM Manifold.
Live to rev!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 07:58 PM
mike

I think you have a good combo in the works. The xfi is a great cam for a steetable injection cam. I would definitely go with at least a #36 injector with your set up.

I am running a pro flo xt on my 68 camaro with the 268 xfi cam in a 355 engine. I am using #30 injectors on mine controlled by a megasquirt II fuel control unit. I will be upgrading the injectors soon as i have the duty cycle maxed out over 100% under full boost.

Last edited by djudge; Feb 17th, 11 at 10:36 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by djudge View Post
I think you have a good combo in the works. The xfi is a great cam for a steetable injection cam. I would definitely go with at least a #36 injector with your set up.

I am running a pro flo xt on my 68 camaro with the 268 xfi cam in a 355 engine. I am using #30 injectors on mine controlled by a megasquirt II fuel control unit. I will be upgrading the injectors soon as i have the duty cycle maxed out over 100% under full boost.

What Throttle Body Are You Using?

Follow my build here:

Live to rev!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 10:40 PM
mike

Quote:
What Throttle Body Are You Using?
Its a dual blade throttle body from a tuned port manifold that was on the old engine. after i built the current engine the tpi was miss matched for the new engine so i replaced it with the pro flo. I didnt want to make any changes with the supercharger elbow so i made an adapter plate to mount the tpi throttle body to the pro flo for the time being.

By the way i would'nt be too concerned about Sequential fuel control. It really only makes a difference on emissions at a low rpm. My fuel control is set for batch fire and right now with the injectors being too small at full power the injectors are held open 100% of the time.

Last edited by djudge; Jan 25th, 12 at 06:22 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 11, 03:44 AM
Senior Tech
Ryan

Send a message via AIM to rp0029

Sell the 383. Put in an LQ4.

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
Modern, fuel injected LS engine DAILY DRIVER!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Really nice work It is always cool to see how you can adapt to the situation. I just sold a twin 58 BBK in order to go this way.

Follow my build here:

Live to rev!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp0029 View Post
Sell the 383. Put in an LQ4.
Why not an LQ9 while I am at it?
At the moment I think it would be cost prohibitive. Maybe I would consider it in the future.
I have a crisp new 383, with New Ceramic Coated Exhaust Headers, Aluminum Fidenza Flywheel, Electric Water Pump, 7qt Canton Road Race Oil Pan, TKO 600 5 speed with Mechanical Ram Clutch, Forged crank, Eagle H-Beam Rods, AFR Eliminator Cylinder Heads, and MAHLE Forged Pistons. I would have to replace everything I just built over the last two years, and modify my car to make such a change. I would loose way to much money and would spend more in electronics than my current setup would bring.
I really don't see that happening.
I'll easily see over 400hp to the rear wheels. I think I am fine with what I have.

Follow my build here:

Live to rev!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 11, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

I was able to find a Throttle body to work with the electronics on the MASS Flow Fuel Injection. It is the Accufab 90mm Race Throttle Body w/ EGR Spacer. I think I can rotate it 180 degrees and this will allow me to keep the throttle linkage on the driver's side. The Idle Air Control will be on the top, and it will use the correct type for the injection electronics used for the MAF system.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/90mm-r...ttle-body.html

Follow my build here:

Live to rev!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode