Fuel tank setup for EFI in 69 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
john

Fuel tank setup for EFI in 69 camaro

Need help guys, i am looking for some ideas on how to change my fuel tank setup on my efi 69 camaro. I bought a tank that is setup for efi with the pump in the tank, from spectra premium, sold by rock auto, having a lot of trouble with fuel starvation below 1/2 tank, so i take it out to work on it and now my gas gage don't work, Called rock auto, they say you cannot get the sending unit pump setup , you have to buy a whole new tank. so i called spectra they said the same thing. So bottom line is tanks have starvation problems and you can'y get parts for them. So I'm looking for alternative ways to change my fuel tank setup, Is there a pump sending unit that i can weld in the top of my tank that will work. I've priced tanks from rock valley and rick's but they are a little high when i already have $500 in what i have. so looking to find something that will work with what i have or a way to modify what i have. WARNING don't buy Spectra tanks. GM32AFI or GM32BFI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 08:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Fuel tank setup for efi in 69 camaro

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ight=rock+auto

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
john

Don't understand your comment exactly, but i looked at your link and understand i could pay $1200 for a tank that would be fine. but now that i already have $500 invested in a tank that won't work, is there any one out there that has modified on of these tanks or your stock tank to work. If so, what type of pump and sending unit did you use.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
joe

I used a 94 caprice unit that I had sitting around. welded a drilled baking pan on the bottom of tank for sump. total cost, 100.00 for new pump, 5.55 for baking pan and 20.00 for sending unit.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 08:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Unhappy Re: Fuel tank setup for efi in 69 camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69camconv View Post
Don't understand your comment exactly ...

... what type of pump and sending unit did you use.
My comment was to read the thread and note the how Spectra is dealing with the problems - and warranty returns ...
Did you read post #55 about modifications
Does your tank have the new internal baffle/pan shown
They just started shipping them last month ...

Did you read @ standard pump performance and upgrades to one of the better Walbro units

Did you read about Sender issues

Have you contacted Spectra and requested a new tank (or a 0~90ohm sender vs. the original) when they are available ...

There are lots of ways around an EFI tank set-up - a common method is to refit the stock tank with a modern EFI pick-up, like Joe did above
Others on site have done similar tank modifications - do a search ...

There are rumors that an alternate tank will be out very soon from another vendor or two
You'll have to do that research yourself ...

Sorry I couldn't of been more help.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
john

Thanks for the info Balljoint, on the caprice tank, is the pump and sending unit stock to a 94 caprice? I'll look into this.
Vintage 68 thanks for the info also, I did talk to spectra about a replacement, do deal, tank is over a year old, It does look to be one of the newer tanks, it does have the bowl, pump I'm not sure about, has no markings. After talking with spectra don't want to deal with them any more anyway, unless they're going to replace the unit with a much better one. and it don't sound like this will happen. I will go back and read the link more thoroughly. But i thought they might be a send/pump unit that might work with the tank i have. If not i will modify my tank like Ball joint showed. My tank looks to have the same opening as a stock 69 camaro tank, so i thought i might get lucky and find a unit that will fit and be the right depth.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
joe

69camconv, the unit is from a 94 caprice with the LT1 which is what I put in my 68. I had to shorten the pump mount a bit though.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
john

Good info balljoint, the unit i have now only has 2 tubes coming out of it, I'm assuming the 3rd line is a vent line of some sort. I read somewhere that it may run to the charcoal canister, I'm not running one, so what needs to happen with the 3rd outlet. Did you weld the studs through the plate and does it come with a stock o-ring to seal it to the plate? And did you modify the bowl in the tank any?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Someone needs to make a stock drop in to the oem tanks that will support 600 hp.

1968 Convertible L92 VVT project, Hotchkiss lowering front & rear.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech
joe

Re: Fuel tank setup for EFI in 69 camaro

I have the 3rd tube to a charcoal canister. The third line can be removed and saudered closed. I drilled the holes in the steel plate and welded the studs from underneath. I used the factory large rubber o-ring and when bolted down, it seals. There was no bowl in the tank so I welded a baking pan to the bottom to act as a sump. No problems so far. been driving it for a year now.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
john

Thanks Balljoint, i worked on it this weekend, after searching the net for alternative sending units, (my pump still works) i found that chevy had a sending unit that clipped on the side of many model's pump assembly(approx. 200) that i thought i could make work. so i made a trip to my local salvage yard in search of on like it. I found one, bought for 5 bucks, to take home to see if it would work. Hooked it up, it worked fine, reprogramed my gage display(dakota digital), read fine in all positions. Then i had to mount it to my existing pump assembly. took some trial and era to get it to fit down through the hole but after a couple of tries it is in. I will remount tank this weekend and fill it up to put it to the real test. Looks good so far. found replacement sending unit for the salvage one i put in on ebay for 15 bucks, ordered one for a spare. I think my tank will be okay now, i modified the bowl in my tank to prevent starvation. So hopfully I'm good now. if not i have your method to fall back on.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 11, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
john

I've got every thing back together, and took it for a drive sunday, sending unit and pump working fine, and reading correctly. thanks for everyone's help
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Try this,
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa..._ID=6/art6.htm

Follow my build here:

Balanced 350, Eagle rotating assy, Mahle Flat top Forged pistons, AFR 195 cylinder heads, AFR Hydrorev kit, Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Cam, comp Pro Mag Ultra Roller Rockers, Edelbrock AirGap RPM Manifold.
Live to rev!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode