source for 5.3's - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

source for 5.3's

Hey guys this is my first post but I have been a long time lurker. My dad is also on here (rlay). We are just finishing up his 69 camaro, full resto. and about to start on mine. (dad has a 69, brother has a 68 and I have a 67 all primed up ready to go back together) I am looking for a reliable source for a 5.3 I want to put in my 67 camaro. I really wanted something local, but I am not really getting any where with that. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Re: source for 5.3's

I don't know of anything in your area but they should be pretty easy to find.

http://www.car-part.com/

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

What do you want to spend? Pace Performance sells complete drop in ready "breathed on" GMPP LS crate engines with carb, coils, and ignition controller from $3000 (4.8L) and up with 24 month 50k mile warranty. Might need the muscle car pan as they're not specific on which one they come with.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Not sure where in La you are, but a salvage yard here has 30+, most already pulled. Scott

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 12th, 11, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I live in Ponchatoula (north of New Orleans) and work in Baton Rouge. The salvage yards I have called only have one here and one there. Costs were ranging from $850-$1100 for just the engine assembly and no harness or computer. All were pretty high mileage. They have a LKQ near by but I have not called it yet. Do you happen to know the price range for the ones in Fla.? Thanks again for all of the info.!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 13th, 11, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

You need to go to a bigger city. Can get them anywhere in Dallas or Houston. Surprised your having trouble around New Orleans.

You should be able to get complete engine, top to bottom and wiring harness and ECM for $850. Don't let the cheapness of the engine fool you. It can get expensive retrofitting one into an older car. Ask me how I know!

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 11, 02:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
I don't know of anything in your area but they should be pretty easy to find.

http://www.car-part.com/
Well if you would just go to the site I listed above and fill out the information for your area and input part wanted as "engine" you can find one in Louisiana for between 350 and 750. LKQ had one listed for 300 with 138,xxx miles.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 15th, 11, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I did that and came up with those results. I also searched LKQ's website and found a L33 (aluminum block/heads) they had listed sugg. retail for $1000 at the one somewhat local. Stupid question but i am guessing this does not include harness and ECM? Since it says suggested retail does it mean when I stop there it may be a lower price? Sorry about all of the questions, but this is my first time dealing with salvage yards and I would like to be armed with lots of information before I make a decision. Specifically from guys that dealt with them already.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 16th, 11, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

The L33 are more expensive because they are rarer. You have to be careful when comparing prices because you will see people selling only the engine for $850 and others selling the engine plus harness and ECM for the same price.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 11, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Should i be looking at he L33, I thought with the aluminum block it would be a better/lighter motor?

I don't want to put a lemon into the car, so please let me know if I should steer away from that and to a LM7.

The price is engine only, ecm is $100 and harness is extra also. This motor only has 49k miles. Most of the other motors had in excess of 100k, for $850-900. So i didn't think $1000 was bad for a L33.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 11, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

The computer would be nice to have but you can get one programmed for $200 or less and most guys don't want your old harness to rework so if one without the harness is significantly cheaper go for it. Guys will tell you to sell your old harness on ebay but good luck with that. Shipping on engines isn't that bad. Also consider that you are either notching your frame or running an aftermarket accessories drive. The other way to go would be to get a vette engine (don't get the ls2 with 58 tooth reluctor) as it already has an accessory drive that will work and you won't be switching truck accessories over. The extra cash might be worth it to save some headache. Is there a reason you want a 5.3 other than they are relatively cheap? Don't forget that the basic engine is only part of the cost you will incure and what seems cheap up front isn't always so cheap at the end of the line.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 29th, 11, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Gotya, Actually a guy i boat with has a LS2 6.0 out of his GTO that he totaled with ~28k miles. i am going to check it out Tuesday. He was going to use it for a s10 project but he bought another boat and now wants to sell it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 31st, 11, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06vette View Post
Not sure where in La you are, but a salvage yard here has 30+, most already pulled. Scott
- See there is more supply than demand for these engines s/b able to get a complete 5.3 for 500$ maybe 750 with harness and ECM these are great engines and dont fail that often so there alot around check craigs lists too

69 R/S Z/28 302 X33 D80 late 09C
69 T/A clonification LS6-6speed under construction
15 ZL1
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 11, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlay View Post
Gotya, Actually a guy i boat with has a LS2 6.0 out of his GTO that he totaled with ~28k miles. i am going to check it out Tuesday. He was going to use it for a s10 project but he bought another boat and now wants to sell it.
For the sake of transmissions, it would be better if you got a 28 tooth reluctor ls2. They switched somewhere around 06. Back on the block above the starter will be a grey or black plug. You want it to be black. It just leaves you with more options for auto trans and who you get to do your harness. You could do your own harness or the cheapest I found to do the 58* was PSI.
When you think that you've already got a low intake, more cubes and more power, you might be further ahead with the gto engine considering you're going to have to do the same work to the accessories. That said, the 5.3 might come with an lh8 pan that some say hangs down to low. I just saw a nova with that pan and he could have dropped it a good 3 inches before it was a problem with speedbumps. On the other hand the gto pan is used by either second gens or chevelles or something so it could be sold so you can pick up the holley pan for $400.
I think I may have already said this but you can get an engine shipped for under $300 pretty much anywhere in the US so if you can find a better option but its further away, I wouldn't think twice. I found some LS1 vette engines on car-parts.com for less than $3000, ls6s for a little more and you would already have the accessory drive that would work. I also know of a wrecker in WI that had a 28* GTO ls2 with a cam, ignition and headers for the same price I bought my c6 ls2. I would guess those headers could have been re-used.
All I'm saying is that you have to look at what you want in the end, how much work you are willing to do to the engine and what you want to spend. You could end up spending the same amount of money and ending up with less potential unless you are a really good scrounger. I've seen a corvette drive and accessories go for $500 and intakes for less than $100 used. With the right buys your 5.3 might end up costing you less than $1500. I'm just giving you the options I went through in my head before I bought my engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode