Lsx guys quick question - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 11, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
wayne

Lsx guys quick question

Well folks im picking up my ls1 monday. the questions of the day is should i go with a t56 or 4l60 auto? the car is a auto car and I have 373 gears, posi. mainly used on the street. I SHOULD ADD I HAVE DISK Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 11, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Re: Lsx guys quick question

Do you like shifting? I have a 2009 Pontiac GXP with a TR6060(newer version of the T56) 6spd and a LS3 with a 3.70 posi rear end. I love it. Granted this car is much different than a 1st gen but shifting gears is shifting gears.

It all depends on what you want to do. A 4L60 may be easier to physically install and maybe cheaper in the long run since you already have an auto in the car.

With a T56 you will need: clutch pedal, hydraulic clutch set up, a clutch, flywheel, drive shaft shortened, shifter handle among other things. You will also most likely have to alter the hole in the floor for this trans but am not sure. So there are some big costs involved. If you are looking to use a used T56, becareful what you get since most used ones tend to be trashed. Rebuilds are not cheap. I would go to LS1Tech.com and check stuff out there for more information.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 11, 01:16 AM
Tech Team
Jake

i'm going with a built 4l60 in my lsx swap and a 4000 stall torque conv. my main decision maker was having to cut a hole in the floor and all that mess.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 11, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Go with what you really want. If you really want the 6spd, get it. Its not that hard to install, and I only had to drill one round hole in the floor. Used a hole saw & it was easy. I used the factory hydraulics hooked to stock 69 pedals. I fond I always regret not doing what i really wanted, and most of the time I end up going back and doing it anyway. Lets see some pics of the swap when you get started.

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 11, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
wayne

thank for the comments

@ z06vette right thats why im building another motor now. i wanted an lsx before.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 11, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Ryan

Send a message via AIM to rp0029

Don't get a 4l60e unless you intend on keeping the engine stock. Unless they are built up, they can only handle about 350 hp. I'd go with a 4l80e if you're going the auto route. You may have to change the flex plate and add a GM spacer, reprogram your ECU and change a couple connectors in your harness, but the 4l80e is light years ahead of the 4l60e in terms of durability.

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Modern, fuel injected LS engine DAILY DRIVER!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 11, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
wayne

rp0029 thanks for the tip i strongly leaning to the t56
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 11, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

The 4l80 is super strong and its also bigger than the 60. Some say its actually easier to install other than the trans lines but a 90 degree fitting and a bfh should solve those problems. They are also a little more expensive and longer. I went with a 4l65. It was cheaper and my car is an auto and my wife wants to drive it. The 65 has 5 pinion planets instead of the 60s 3. Put some new clutches and a vette servo in it and you should be fine. I figure if they haul 400hp plus Denalis around they can prolly handle a first gen. I got mine rebuilt but not run and cheap. My 74 is a stick and I dont care if my wife wants to drive it. It will be a 5 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode