EFI Experts please chime in and help please.. - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

EFI Experts please chime in and help please..

I currently have a SBC 383, Solid Roller / Victor Jr Intake / Holley HP Mechanical pump 170 gph / MSD Disb / 6AL / Timing retard box / AED 750 / Solid Roller / Edelbrock Plate Nitrous Systems (200 shot) / msd window switch / Car has NA 400 rwhp, and about 600 rwhp on nitrous / Turbo 350 w/3500 stall.

I'm really looking to convert it over to EFI (and then in the future add either turbo or a procharger). With that said I don't want the bolt on EFI Carb that has the 4 injectors. I would like to have a intake that has 8 injectors in each runner.

The only 2 systems I know of that will accomplish this is the Holley HP or the Fast XFI. The Fast XFI comes with everything from fuel pump, fuel regulator, Distributor, to intake... I don't think the Holley HP has everything, but I believe is much cheaper. The Fast XFI I can get for about $3700 (ugh) for the 500-1000 hp system.

I'm not experienced enough in this EFI, but think I will have easier/smoother running set-up that can be adjusted easily even as I upgrade to more performance mods.

I just don't know if I should purchase this FAST XFI complete system if there is a better or maybe I should say cheaper alternative out there that can accomplish this.

Any suggestions would be great or any other info needed.

The car is mostly used to speed up the road, and hit the 1/4 at the track for fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: EFI Experts please chime in and help please..

How about Accel DFI Pro-Ram? It's about $2600 on Amazon. Full kit with fuel system and it has a NOS and timing controller, or you can use the dual sync or other IPU distributor if you want to run sequential.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-77144/

Instructions are here (it's the Gen 7)
http://accel-ignition.com/ACCELDFI/A...tructions.aspx
http://www.accel-ignition.com/portal...ions_gen_7.pdf

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

That system looks like it might be a option. Have you or anyone else used it?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Sorry, I don't. I do know in the "How to Build Big Inch Chevy Small Blocks" book the DFI intake was the best out of the box single plane they tested. Also one of the recent Engine Masters winners ran the Gen VII controller on a custom setup. There's a good bit of forum fodder out there if you google "accel dfi" or "accel gen 7".

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 07:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I didn't know Fast had a complete system. I just looked it up. You're going to be $3500 to $4K for a good intake, rails, injectors, throttle body, distributor, fuel pump, regulator, and ECU to run everything. I always pieced them together. Bought the intake/rails/throttle body I liked, and then used whatever computer to run it that I wanted. The systems like Fast, Accel, Holley can be used on many different combos, just make sure you get the box for the specific engine and ignition setup you're going to run.

Any of the above three would be a good choice for your combo, they all can handle your HP and nitrous needs. If you're not going to be doing the tuning yourself you may want to pick a local tuner and get his recommendation, since he'll be the one tuning it. Many are comfortable with certain systems.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
I didn't know Fast had a complete system. I just looked it up. You're going to be $3500 to $4K for a good intake, rails, injectors, throttle body, distributor, fuel pump, regulator, and ECU to run everything. I always pieced them together. Bought the intake/rails/throttle body I liked, and then used whatever computer to run it that I wanted. The systems like Fast, Accel, Holley can be used on many different combos, just make sure you get the box for the specific engine and ignition setup you're going to run.

Any of the above three would be a good choice for your combo, they all can handle your HP and nitrous needs. If you're not going to be doing the tuning yourself you may want to pick a local tuner and get his recommendation, since he'll be the one tuning it. Many are comfortable with certain systems.
This is why I wanted to put this out there. See from the ones who have used them or different ones, and to see if there might be a better solution, but so far looks like the FAST XFI, might be the ticket...Just expensive, and hopefully worth it..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 08:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by obengston View Post
This is why I wanted to put this out there. See from the ones who have used them or different ones, and to see if there might be a better solution, but so far looks like the FAST XFI, might be the ticket...Just expensive, and hopefully worth it..
I've used Fast, Accel, BigStuff 3, and a host of factory ECU's and they're all very capable. One may have more bells and whistles, but they'll all run your combo. And if you buy comparative systems they'll all be in that price range for the good stuff. I would not shortcut a nitrous engine.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 09:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:

This last part is very important. I couldn't find anyone in SoCal who could tune the older version of the Holley system I had. I got it running strong, but really wanted to work on fuel economy.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 10:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
This last part is very important. I couldn't find anyone in SoCal who could tune the older version of the Holley system I had. I got it running strong, but really wanted to work on fuel economy.
absolutely Mike. You don't want to have a tuner learning a new-to-him EFI system on your car. Although the different systems all accomplish the same thing when properly tuned, the terminology, mapping (especially transient tables), etc. can vary a ton, and even though he may be a good tuner he will struggle figuring out what does what.

Much better off going with a trusted tuner and EFI that he tunes on a daily basis.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Quote:
absolutely Mike. You don't want to have a tuner learning a new-to-him EFI system on your car. Although the different systems all accomplish the same thing when properly tuned, the terminology, mapping (especially transient tables), etc. can vary a ton, and even though he may be a good tuner he will struggle figuring out what does what.

Much better off going with a trusted tuner and EFI that he tunes on a daily basis.
I did'nt think about calling some of the tuners around here. I will call some and see what they have to say.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 12, 11:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

Got my parts & support from here http://www.efisupply.com/index.htm

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 12, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro67_rcl View Post
Got my parts & support from here http://www.efisupply.com/index.htm

I have also been researching this site as well. Just really need to decide which way to go. Heck with this price maybe I should sell my engine, and just buy a built LS engine with harness.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 12, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech
Vince

My suggestion is to also call the tech lines of all the EFI manufactures and see if they even answer, and if they seem knowledgeable.

I think the new wave of self-tuning systems have really made the whole EFI thing much easier to get into. I knew nothing about EFI (still dont) but the new Holley EFI system I run has been remarkable and painless.

I went to the track with the factory Holley tune. I fattened/leaned it a bit, moved the timing around, and the car ran the fastest with Holley's base tune!!!!

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 12, 06:24 AM
mike

Another option would be to use a megasquirt system like i did. It is much more economical but you still have the investment of the basic hardware (intake,injectors ect).
Many people have used this system and there is a lot of support and information out there.

My camaro started out with a megesquirt II controller and tpi intake before i switched to a edelbrock pro flo-ex intake manifold and fuel rail from summit and a stock tpi distributer.
You can tune your own system like i did but a wide band o2 sensor is a must for tuning.

here are a few links.
http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti...lock_v8_v6.htm
http://www.megamanual.com/mtabcon.htm
http://www.msefi.com/index.php

You can save some money by doing some reading and research.

mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	proflo post.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	26585   Click image for larger version

Name:	tpi.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	26586  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 12, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

I'm partial to the Holley HP system.

You may not required much dyno tuning for your application with the autotuning piece of it (fueling only).

Certainly, you can install as is and have same performance as your carb with the benefits of the EFI (cold start, mileage).

Tech support/help is important too. Doug F. is on many boards and works for Holley on EFI...he will answer any question you have correctly unlike some of the telephone tech lines who are not as specialized.

I will never go back to a carb.

1969 Nova SS 350
EFI 407/TKO600/4.11
11.43 at 121 MPH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode