Original Pro flo ECU mounting - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Original Pro flo ECU mounting

I really need some help figuring out where to mount a Pro flo 3500 Ecu in my 68. I want it inside, if possible. I intended to mount it up behind the glove box.....wont work, heater box in the way....will not go in the glove box, the ECU is too wide. Can't go under the seat, cable too short.....just not much space up under the dash.

Have done very little fab work, so I am kind of stumped.....

Anyone have pics of how theirs is mounted? It would be a great help.

The coil is on the firewall above the heater, the ign amp is on the core support where the battery used to be....

Just need to get this ECU mounted .......

I live in the south (SC) so I guess if the heater box had to go, I could block of the opening and have tons of room.....but at some point in time I want to go with an A/C unit so that space will be needed for that

Thanks

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Original Pro flo ECU mounting

Quote:
I intended to mount it up behind the glove box.....wont work, heater box in the way
I dont get that..there is a huge MT space up above the clove box...have u removed the glove box to access the area?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes the glove box is out....the only flat surface is just above the heater box....and there is not enough room between the top of the heater box and the dash.....

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If you have a console there's a decent amount of room under there. How big is the ECU?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Funny that you mentioned that...I do not have the console yet...but I have been thinking that it could mount on the trans tunnel in front of the shifter...and be hidden by the console....

I will have to measure the ECU to answer your question....

Really appreciate the ideas......
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If itn will fit under the consol..no gauges I assume..it would definately fit above the clove box on the fire wall... may mean making up a simple bracket between it and the curve of the firewall just under the cowel area....up where the factory loom clips are welded to the firewall.
How big is this ecu?
I have my alarm and stuff mounted up there.....

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The ECU is 8" wide 8" long and 2" thick.....bigger than most of the newer ones....

Steptoe: Do you happen to have a pic of how they are mounted, and the bracket attachment?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 05:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

I went with the XFI on my Proflo. Mounted it behind battery as it would not fit in same places you tried

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2971...81587663SfZFIE
Attached Images

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just spent sometime messing around with cardboard....the Ecu for the original Pro flo is bigger than the XFI you have in your picture....It will not fit in that space the way yours is......i.e....bolting the top of the plate to the fender edge......

I guess I will figure something out.....sooner or later....probably much later...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Holy ****. What's it running on, a desktop?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblakes View Post
The ECU is 8" wide 8" long and 2" thick.....bigger than most of the newer ones....
Holy cow that ecu is HUGE!! If you are going to have A/C in the car about the only place I can see it fitting is under one of the front seats, or in the engine bay.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Harness is too short for under the seat....and out by the battery....Frustrating....there has to be someone that has a Pro flo 3500 in a 68 camaro....

On the trans tunnel in front of the shifter is a possibility.....but I do not have the shifter (auto) installed....and I think where the cable comes out the front, is going to make it difficult to put the ECU in front of it....

Frustrating!

Going to try making a bracket to mount it behind the glove box door.... Would love to put it under a seat, if someone made a harness extender......
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:

Steptoe: Do you happen to have a pic of how they are mounted, and the bracket attachment?
No.. cant realy see up there..which is why the alram is up there with the hidden radio areal...and the vent hose goes thru there also.
Rocketrod above expesses my thoughts exactly.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Steptoe: Thanks for checking
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok...I think I know what I am going to do....the battery is in the trunk...so the space were is was is vacated....I can fab up some brackets and mount it there....

Not what I really wanted, so if anyone else has a better place keep those ideas coming...

I can always move it if I come up with another plan

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode