Anyone used one of these EFI tanks? - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Anyone used one of these EFI tanks?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261079192491...#ht_2627wt_751

Saw this tank while researching trying to find a decent tank that's a little better quality than the Spectra but that won't set me back 1200 bucks or more. Anyone have any experience or opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
gary

Re: Anyone used one of these EFI tanks?

That tank looks like those made by Tanks, Inc. Check out their website below, as the cost appears less there. When the pump and pickup are included the cost is around $500. A friend has purchased one of these for his '69 with LS motor, but is still 8 months from being on the road.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd348.htm

Also on the Summitt site: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-18657/
The aeromotive tank uses that same tank and the Aeromotive pump and is an upgrade over the Walbro pump.

Gary

'69 Camaro - 383 SBC w/ 440 hp, Crossram Dual-quad w/ Holley HP EFI, Tremec TKO, Ridetech Coilover Suspension w/TruTurn, Billet-Specialties Draft 18x9, 18x12, BFG KDW 275/335
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Hey thanks for the link Gary!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

Check these out too... About the same price throught Summit...

http://aeromotiveinc.com/f-body/

k
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 12, 11:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Dont waste your money trying to do it on the cheap. Ended up buying a Vaporworx system. Call Karl Cassanova. I wasted alot of money on these cheaper solutions.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 09:28 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHigh69 View Post
Dont waste your money trying to do it on the cheap. Ended up buying a Vaporworx system. Call Karl Cassanova. I wasted alot of money on these cheaper solutions.
You don't need to spend $1600 on an EFI Fuel Tank!!!

I have a Tanks Inc. going in my LS7 Build

A tank is a tank. A good quality fuel pump and the Corvette Filter/Regulator to return fuel is all you need.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 09:51 AM
Tech Team
Mike

I like the looks of that tank. If I cant find a solution to my spectra tank i will be buying that one. I had my specta tank for three years and besides the fuel starvation problem it worked great in my 68 with a 95 LT1/T56 swap. Working right now to see if spectra will help me out even though my warranty ran out. If not I will be getting one from tanks inc!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 12:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
You don't need to spend $1600 on an EFI Fuel Tank!!!

I have a Tanks Inc. going in my LS7 Build

A tank is a tank. A good quality fuel pump and the Corvette Filter/Regulator to return fuel is all you need.
The bolded italicized part sounds as if your car with the Tanks, Inc. tank is not on the road. Is that correct?

If so, on what other experience are you basing your "A tank is a tank" statement? Many of us running EFI have discovered that while "a tank may be a tank," not all tanks work well with EFI.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 12:51 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
The bolded italicized part sounds as if your car with the Tanks, Inc. tank is not on the road. Is that correct?

If so, on what other experience are you basing your "A tank is a tank" statement? Many of us running EFI have discovered that while "a tank may be a tank," not all tanks work well with EFI.
I have lot's of experience with EFI.

Tank is a tank is stating that the tank simply holds the fuel. Baffles and sumps certainly have to be considered.

So if the tank and baffles are good then next is the Fuel Pump. Whether the pump is in a 5 gal bucket or a custom stainless steel tank makes no difference to the pump. So a good quality Fuel Pump that will reliably supply the required volume of fuel is all that's needed.

Next is the regulator/filter and the Corvette unit is good for about 58 psi and 500+ HP and has the return for a single fuel line setup that returns the fuel before it run to the fuel rails where it can be heated.

Are you suggesting guys have experienced problems with the Tank Inc. setup?

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 01:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
I have lot's of experience with EFI.

Tank is a tank is stating that the tank simply holds the fuel. Baffles and sumps certainly have to be considered.

So if the tank and baffles are good then next is the Fuel Pump. Whether the pump is in a 5 gal bucket or a custom stainless steel tank makes no difference to the pump. So a good quality Fuel Pump that will reliably supply the required volume of fuel is all that's needed.

Next is the regulator/filter and the Corvette unit is good for about 58 psi and 500+ HP and has the return for a single fuel line setup that returns the fuel before it run to the fuel rails where it can be heated.

Are you suggesting guys have experienced problems with the Tank Inc. setup?
Assuming that one can easily get a tank with baffles and/or a sump that works well with EFI under low fuel conditions is assuming away the issue.

I purchased a Tanks, Inc. tank insert some years ago, examined it for my proposed use, and decided that it didn't look like it would do the job under high G/low fuel conditions. The relatively small sump with the unit looked to me like it could be starved for fuel in, for example, a long fast turn with low fuel.

I ended up using the Tanks, Inc. fuel pump assembly in a big (IIRC) Aeromotive sump. That set up worked very well, other than the fuel gauge being mostly an accelerometer.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 02:07 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
Assuming that one can easily get a tank with baffles and/or a sump that works well with EFI under low fuel conditions is assuming away the issue.

I purchased a Tanks, Inc. tank insert some years ago, examined it for my proposed use, and decided that it didn't look like it would do the job under high G/low fuel conditions. The relatively small sump with the unit looked to me like it could be starved for fuel in, for example, a long fast turn with low fuel.

I ended up using the Tanks, Inc. fuel pump assembly in a big (IIRC) Aeromotive sump. That set up worked very well, other than the fuel gauge being mostly an accelerometer.

I should have said assuring the sump/baffle will meet the requirement.

And the gauge comment. I'll have to use that with your permission. haha

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 12, 04:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd68 View Post
I like the looks of that tank. If I cant find a solution to my spectra tank i will be buying that one. I had my specta tank for three years and besides the fuel starvation problem it worked great in my 68 with a 95 LT1/T56 swap. Working right now to see if spectra will help me out even though my warranty ran out. If not I will be getting one from tanks inc!

My Spectra tank pump died after 1.5 year ,,, end up going with a Ricks Sainless,,,2 yrs later still working great

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 08:58 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro67_rcl View Post
My Spectra tank pump died after 1.5 year ,,, end up going with a Ricks Sainless,,,2 yrs later still working great
Did you have issues with the tank itself or just the pump?

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 12, 04:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

Quote:
Did you have issues with the tank itself or just the pump?
Typical starvation @ 1/4 tank or lower when turning corners,,, then the pump went. Also could not find out what pump was used.

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 12, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Having baffles and corner pick ups are the best. Otherwise you will starve the engine in hard cornering. The vaporowrx well down to 1 gallon of gas. In addition having a pump that can modulate depending on fuel demand is extremely handy. I have used regulators with single line to the front and duel lines to the front with regulator and the problem is you will boil your gas. It returns to much gas to the tank and eventually it heats up and will boil the gas. Having a metered system using the 2010 camaro pump with PCM control is best. Otherwise you will be pulling over for overheated gas on hot days.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode