ProFlow ECM and Ign Amplifier. - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 12, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ProFlow ECM and Ign Amplifier.

I moved my ECM and Ign Amplifier to a location on the core support. I fab'd a bracket on the core support and mounted the ECM on one side of a metal plate, and the Ign Amp on the other side...they are mounted back to back.

So now it has occured to me that the Ign amp may create electrical interferance with the ECM..... I know that Fast EFI recommends the ign box and the ECM be at least 2 feet apart.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: ProFlow ECM and Ign Amplifier.

One could just try it...but since common sense says that the ignition amplifier is pretty 'dirty'...mounting next to the ECU is almost asking for trouble.

I would prefer a location to hide both elsewhere...maybe one behind each headlight bucket...that is closer to 4 feet apart.

I put my ECU under the passenger seat inside the car...no MSD.

Good Luck!

1969 Nova SS 350
EFI 407/TKO600/4.11
11.43 at 121 MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: ProFlow ECM and Ign Amplifier.

You're more likely to pick up interference through the wiring proximity to high voltage than the actual unit which is most likely the reason for the two foot rule. Might be good to try the MSD noise filter also. I used one on a truck with MSD to help with some radio noise. Didn't work, but I think it's because the MSD is mounted in the engine bay back corner close to where the antenna runs through the fender.

My unit has the ECM connected directly to the throttle body and the main wiring harness and wideband harness come right off the back and are practially under the dizzy and coil (MSD mounted to firewall above passener valve cover). No issues with that but my engine, frame, and body are grounded to hell and back. It uses a removable cable to connect a laptop and back when I had an HEI I used to just leave the cable installed and run under the dizzy, behind the valve cover, and through the blower motor grommet in the firewall so I could run the laptop in the seat while driving. Didn't have an issue until changing out the HEI for an MSD 8360 and Blaster coil over the valve cover. Then it wouldn't keep connection. No issues with the actual ECM though.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode