Got my LS! - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 12, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

Got my LS!

Found a deal on an LQ4 6.0 liter and a 4L80e trans that I couldn't pass up (thank god for Paypal....lol). Picking up tomorrow, and then the full will begin......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 12, 05:12 PM
Guess

Re: Got my LS!

I'm waiting till Spring. I know I won't touch it till then anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 12, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

That was my original plan, but Shawn wanted to sell this one so he could go on vacation....lol. $2k for the engine, trans, harness, ECM, gas pedal, and all the accessories. Already found an LS1 intake with rails and injectors for $150, and I'll probably replace the oil pump and timing chai. While its out just to freshen it up. Might as well swap in a little more cam, and end up with about 375hp or so with the headers, and still get over 20 mpg.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 12, 07:00 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That was my original plan, but Shawn wanted to sell this one so he could go on vacation....lol. $2k for the engine, trans, harness, ECM, gas pedal, and all the accessories. Already found an LS1 intake with rails and injectors for $150, and I'll probably replace the oil pump and timing chai. While its out just to freshen it up. Might as well swap in a little more cam, and end up with about 375hp or so with the headers, and still get over 20 mpg.
I have a few LS1 parts around that I took off my 04 Vette when I put a blower on it.

Let me know what you need and you can have anything I have for the shipping cost.

Use an LS6 intake NOT the LS1

If you take it a part do some mild head work.

Go on Corvette Forum and do a search or post what you need.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 12, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I have a few LS1 parts around that I took off my 04 Vette when I put a blower on it.

Let me know what you need and you can have anything I have for the shipping cost.

Use an LS6 intake NOT the LS1

If you take it a part do some mild head work.

Go on Corvette Forum and do a search or post what you need.
Do you have the intake and the Corvette coilpack covers? I haven't pulled the trigger on the one I was buying, so if you've got one for just shipping cost, I'm in!

I've heard about the "big difference" between the LS1 and LS6 intakes, but Hot Rod did an article a while back where they took an LQ9 truck engine and swapped a bunch of parts on and off to see what the effect was on the dyno, and the difference between the LS1 and LS6 intakes was only 2 hp. Surprisingly, they both flowed worse than the stock truck intake (lost 7hp with the LS6, and 9 with the LS1)- too bad the truck intake is so tall and looks like crap.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 12, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech

Congrats! you're gonna love it. It's a whole new car with an ls1, I can't imagine ever going to a carb'd crate motor ever again. Don't forget to post pics of your progress.

67 rs mutt
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 12, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech
Waylon Krumrie

I'm looking to make this swap in my Chevelle around March, so I'll definitely be keeping up with your thread.

That's interesting regarding the different intakes. I was planning on buying a LQ4 so I'll maybe I'll just stick with the truck intake. It is kind of ugly though....but I bet somebody has done something to make it pretty.

Good luck and post lots of pictures for us!

Phone:800-624-7960 Ext:119
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 12, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

Here's the first pics, Tim. The truck intake isn't just ugly- it's also really high and won't clear most hoods. You may have more height under the Chevelle hood than the Camaro hoods do, but I can't say for sure.

It's a 6.0liter LS with a 4L80E trans out of a 2002 2500HD. Here it is coming out of the bed of my truck.

Here's the pile of spaghetti that controls it, which will be sent out to be reworked to accommodate the LS1 intake (different injectors), and to tie into the rest of my wiring.

I popped the trans off and got it on the engine stand, and gave it a quick cleaning to see what we have. Doesn't look too bad for a 10-year old engine, but it's what's inside that counts.

And under the valve covers, it looks incredible. You'd never see an old-school small block this clean with 130k on it....

The bottom end looks just as good. No metal in the oilpan or anything else to indicate any issues.

I've got three broken exhaust manifold bolts to deal with, which in speaking to a friend who's a GM tech, is a pretty common problem on these engines. Time to get out the drill and the Easy-outs. Worse come to worse, if I can't get them out easily, I've got an excuse to buy upgraded heads. Gotta look at the bright side, right???
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 12, 10:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Looks real good Bob. I just saw a post over on LS1 saying that you were going this route. I'm planning to do the LS thing later this winter.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 12, 11:03 AM
John

Garage

Looks Great.

The 4L80 will require a fair amount of tunnel mod to fit.

The harness looks good. Won't need much rework. Just need to program out of the ECM the stuff you don't need.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 12, 11:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIproducts View Post
That's interesting regarding the different intakes. I was planning on buying a LQ4 so I'll maybe I'll just stick with the truck intake. It is kind of ugly though....but I bet somebody has done something to make it pretty. Good luck and post lots of pictures for us!
I don't think anyone has made a truck intake look good.

However, you can pick up an LS1 intake pretty cheap ($100-150), even the LS6's are reasonable if you're are patient.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 12, 11:20 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post

However, you can pick up an LS1 intake pretty cheap ($100-150), even the LS6's are reasonable if you're are patient.
I wanted this one but it just won't fit under the stock cowl hood

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&c...9,r:0,s:0,i:90

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 12, 12:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
I wanted this one but it just won't fit under the stock cowl hood

Have you looked at the Edelbrock Pro-Flow XT? I think it's almost 2" shorter.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 12, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post

I just picked up an LS1 intake with rails, injectors and throttle body for $150. I'm probably going to keep the drive-by-wire TB that I already have, so I can sell the cable-operated TB for probably $30, and be in the intake, rails, and injectors for $120.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 12, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
The 4L80 will require a fair amount of tunnel mod to fit.
I spoke to a couple guys who said the 4L80 fit with no tunnel mods other than a little hammer work to clear the trans cooler connections. I'll be switching my trans cooler lines to braided, so I can get the connectors a bit tighter with 90 degree AN fittings.

I know the 6-speed autos are huge and need a lot of tunnel work, but the 4L80 supposedly fits. As much as I hate to cut the brand new floor, I'll do it if need be, since the 4L80 is much stronger than the 4L60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode