Power to coils? - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Power to coils?

I'm not getting the signal to the coils to fire them.
Running the factory LS2 GTO E40 ECM which is working. Unfortunately ScanXL isn't licensed to scan the coils.
I know the ECM is powered because I wouldn't get any scan data if it wasn't. I've got all the schematics I need but have no idea how the ECM talks to the coils.
Ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Power to coils?

Got your crank sensor signal?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Guess

I know its getting 12v. It drops to 9.5 during cranking.
I don't see any change on the signal circuit to\from it. I didn't see a change in signal at the coils either, but that's not surprising since they're not getting power.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Isn't the LS2 crank sensor supposed to be 5V supply?

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 01:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

IIRC they get their power directly from the fuse block from two(2) 20A fuses - INJ-A and INJ-B.
The power is supplied to the injector 'banks' via the Pink/Pink-Blk/Pink-Wht wires.
The injectors are then wired back to the ECM to be 'Grounded' as required by the controls to trigger them.

Your can try jumping a 12vdc Feed to one of the banks and then checking to see if the 'fire' with a NOID.

Be aware a grounded (bad) injector or problem in the wiring taking the signal to ground will prevent the injectors from firing ...
Try checking resistance across each injector (unplugged) and see if any are low.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Guess

I have no idea what the signal voltages are supposed to be for any of the sensors. That would be a good thing to know at this point.

John, the coils are controlled by the computer. The schematics show nothing about a voltage going to them.
But I do have a circuit to the coils with a label I don't know where it originates. Its not explained in the schematic. Its circuit S137 and S138. I don't have enough info in front of me to know what those are.
There are no connectors unplugged that have anything to do with power to anything.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

With your monitoring software running, are you seeing any RPM during cranking?

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 02:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Red face Re: Power to coils?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
I have no idea what the signal voltages are supposed to be for any of the sensors. That would be a good thing to know at this point.

John, the coils are controlled by the computer. The schematics show nothing about a voltage going to them. ....

You asked about COILS - and I took off on a rant about injectors

The coils get two (2) voltage feeds - a 12vdc switched signal from the ignition relay and then a 5vdc signal from Crank sensor (GM calls it a 'sequencer' input).
The 12v feed is for coil Primary winding and is the 'D' input on the connector at coil.
The 5v sequencer feed is in on the 'C' terminal of connector. This powers the coil trigger that grounds/collapses the primary potential onto the Secondary windings and triggers the spark. The trigger ground, back to sequencer, is Terminal 'B' on connector.
The last terminal is 'A' which is the Ground for coil back to block ...

Soooo - you need a switched source of 12vdc to that 'D' terminal circuit to allow the coils power
Again, a temp jumper here will allow you to fire engine - if crank sensor system is connected correctly ...

Hope some of this response is less than last ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Yes, the scanner shows a couple hundred RPMs.

John....while I was scratching my head bent over the fender, I see you're right. I need to get 12v to them. Now I'm wondering why they don't already have it.

I know I'm missing the power train interface module. That could be where I'm stumbling. Then again, I don't have the donor cars fuse blocks either.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 05:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Power to coils?

Correct power to the coils is almost as important as the rest of the signal connections - almost ...

I re-read some of what I wrote and the more I think on it - I'm not home and don't have schematic in front of me - I need to clarify a couple things.
* The 5vdc ('C' terminal) signal to the coil(s) does come from the ECM via individual pin-outs as has been discussed, the crank sensor triggers the outputs to these via ECM, but not directly as it reads in my reply ... It's just as important to the system, just not directly connected ...
* The 'ground' ('B' terminal) goes directly back to the ECM also. This is actually some sort of 'low' reference signal to the ECM, but functions same as a common ground for either bank of coils.
* IIRC I once traced the Pink power feed wires ('D' terminal at coil connector) from both banks back to the underwood fuse block with feed source of the same two (2) 20A circuits (INJ-A/ING-B) that we're feeding the Injectors.
Kinda makes some sense they would use the same feed for both systems since you need them in tandem to run the engine ...

Hope some of this helps and I'm not you even more.
I swear I feel I don't understand half of the wiring under a hood anymore - but I can fix and start just about all of them if I try hard enough
When I get home I'll peruse my LS info to see if can make any of this any more clear-as-mud
Good thing I'm so far away you can throw anything at me

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As John suggests, each side of the engine gets 'HOT in RUN, BULB TEST and START', pink wire, and also same supply goes to the same side injectors, same 15 amp fuse per side/supply. Labeled INJ1 & INJ2 fuses

REF LO, brown wire to 1.3.5.7, REF LO, brown/white to 2,4,6,8.
GRD to GRD
IGN CTRL 1 = purple, IC 3 = LT BLUe, IC 5=dk grn, IC 7=red
IC 2=red/wht, IC4=dk grn/wht, IC6=lt blue/wht, IC8=PPL/WHT

John typed faster than I did this time. My info from 2000 LS1.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Thanks y'all...
Sorry for the delay in answering... wife wanted to go see Trombone Shorty at the Jazz Fest last night.

Now that I know the coils (and most likely the injectors) are starving for power, I'm wondering WHERE they got fed the 12V from in the donor car. There aren't any unaccounted for connectors or bulkheads that I can find. So, I have to decide how to go about powering them.
I know I'm going to put the coils and the injectors on separate fused relays. Just gotta figure out where to tap into eaches circuits to power them on IGN.
That's why I'd love to know how\where they got their power originally. I'll shoot over to LS2.com and ask around. There's an Aussie over there that knows every inch of the GTO.

The schematics are still not clear to me what circuits are what when they're only labeled "A" or "C" in a triangle. What I wouldn't give for a military Tech Manual on the GTO.

Thanks for the time and trouble guys!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

On newer models, power fuses and relays are in the engine compartment.
Remember seeing relay box with the 6AWG red wire going to it?
This wire is the power for both circuits.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Right... I'm sure there was a related fuse\relay box under the hood that controlled them. Hell, there were 20 fuse boxes on that thing! But what I can't figure out is HOW.
There's nowhere for anything to plug into the harness to power the top end.
The only thing I can think of without going out there and deciphering, is that some of the unused wiring to C1 of the ECM is what I need.
I'll keep looking... no biggy. Summer isn't over yet.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Got it... vehicle diagrams to the rescue. Took some digging but there IS a connector unused that feeds the coils\injectors. I mistook it for Air Intake Temp sensor because it's way over at the MAF sensor branch.

Item 12 on the vehicle harness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO_C101_Pin-out.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	35633   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO_Front_Wiring.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	35641  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode