which fuel pump to use with Ram Jet 350? - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 13, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
matt

which fuel pump to use with Ram Jet 350?

Hi I'm in the process of installing a Ram Jet 350 in my 1967 Camaro. I'm just wondering which fuel pump should i use a in tank or out of the tank pump. I'm thinking TANKS.INC for there in tank fuel pump and sending unit. Is this the best set up. They say no fuel pump starvation with this. Also is there anything else i need.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 13, 03:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: which fuel pump to use with Ram Jet 350?

We used a tank mounted (internal) pump the owner ordered from a vendor on eBain.
The pump was a WalBro unit. I've used lots of their pumps over the years and had no problems to date. This install has been no different so far.

While a tank mounted pump is tougher to service when needed, I have found they seem to last longer than most mounted in free-air and exposed to the elements.

Try a google search for 68 CAMARO in tank pump or something like that and options should come up.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 13, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
matt

Re: which fuel pump to use with Ram Jet 350?

Okay i'll stay with the in tank fuel pump. Are TANKS.INC good tanks to use?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 13, 09:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Truthfully, I've heard good things about the TanksInc. units but I've not installed one.
The unit I mentioned above is a Spectre tank with an upgraded pump. Lots of bad press for Spectre, but I believe as long as it is the later improved sump unit and you use a good pump system you shouldn't have any problems with them - at least I haven't yet ... None of the cars they are in are used in competition that would require a 'trick' tank to handle high flow or hard cornering - these are just street performance drivers.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 13, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I run a Walbro external right now but would have no problem at all running the Tanks Inc tank, sending unit, and pump setup. In fact, I'll probably talk myself into getting one sooner or later. They provide a vent and you'll need to figure out what you're going to do with that, typically a charcoal canister mounted high. You'll also have to plumb in another PTFE line to use for a return and install a regulator. You can use the new line for feed and the factory hard line for return to keep from having to redo the ends for high pressure.

I've got a non-EFI Tanks Inc tank and sending unit in my '49 Pontiac. Fit and function is perfect.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 13, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
matt

thanks for the help! I'll order the TANKS.INC gas tank.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 13, 03:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrington81 View Post
thanks for the help! I'll order the TANKS.INC gas tank.
Good choice, I installed the Tanks Inc/Walbro 255 for an LS swap in my '67 a couple months ago. Nice piece.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 13, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech

I use carter street mechanical pump on both my cars. No problems and easy to service. No muss no fuss and runs great.
Jerry
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 13, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
matt

Will the Tank.inc tank have any fuel starvation issues in hard cornering or below 1/4 tank? This is my only issue with selecting the right tank.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 12:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrington81 View Post
Will the Tank.inc tank have any fuel starvation issues in hard cornering or below 1/4 tank? This is my only issue with selecting the right tank.
There shouldn't be, but I haven't beaten on mine yet. The tanksinc tank has a tray for the fuel pump so you don't have to worry about sloshing. Here's a cutaway pic from their website:

And here's a shot of my tank:

And here's a shot looking into the fuel pump hole (the larger of the two) that shows the tray. You can see the little hole that allows the tray to refill, and the walls that prevent sloshing:

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
matt

Thanks for the help! Has anyone tried Aeromotive tanks. I've been looking at there website also.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Tanks Inc. makes Aeromotive's tanks for them. Then they customize the components.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
matt

oh wow. I didn't know that.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 13, 10:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

What PSI does the Ram Jet 350 require for fuel pressure?

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 13, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
matt

43-55 psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode