5.3 or 6.0 LM7 or LQ4 Truck Engine - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 13, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

5.3 or 6.0 LM7 or LQ4 Truck Engine

Given a choice of either, which would you choose for a 68 Camaro swap. The LM7 costs about $1000.00 the LQ4 about $1500.00.

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a "dropout" . I realize a LS1 from a Camaro, all aluminum would probably be the best choice, but most of those are going for $2500+.

Any of them would still require motor mounts, harness mods, headers, drive system mods, etc....

I saw Ryan's thread on his LQ4 swap, and glad he paved the way with such detail.....

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 13, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Re: 5.3 or 6.0 LM7 or LQ4 Truck Engine

I'd go LQ4 (LQ9 if you can find one)- like they old saying goes, there's no substitute for cubic inches.....

What are your plans for the engine- keeping it stock or building it up? I went with an LQ4, a Z06 cam, and an LS1 intake.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 13, 01:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

What is the casting number on the heads?
I just purchased a LY6 for my 55 Nomad. The motor has 823 Casting rectangular port heads.

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 13, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My plans would be for a "mild" build.....nice street cam, headers and intake.....

I do not know the casting numbers on the heads, engine is not located in my area, I would have it shipped.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Bob,
Why the LQ9 over the LQ4? Because of the electronic Trottle body? The cost difference is $500 ..worth it? Do you have a part number for the Z06 cam? Does it require stiffer springs? Lifters?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Bob, I also forgot, the LQ9 has a higher compression ratio....so same question, is it worth the extra expense in your opinion?

thoughts from anyone else?
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 09:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

LQ9 has higher compression (flat top pistons vs dished), and floating wrist pins/stronger rods. The earlier LQ4's had a press fit wrist pin. Some '99-00 LQ4's had the iron heads instead of the 317 aluminums.

The compression doesn't make a huge difference, +20hp/+10tq between the two, and I think some of that is in the tune.

The difference between an LQ4 and LQ9 was about $200 when I bought mine, so I went with the LQ9. I'd lean towards a 6.0 rather than a 5.3, just for the cubes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

The higher compression ratio is the reason for the LQ9 over the LQ4. Is it worth the extra $500? Only you can answer that question.

If I remember correctly, the cam is the 2002-2004 LS6 cam- part # 12565308. It does require new springs. Be careful when ordering springs- they sometimes list the part number for a single spring, and when you multiply the cost of that spring x 16, the total cost is ridiculous. They sell the same springs in a box of 16 for about $60. You just need to find a parts guy at a local dealership who knows what he's doing so he orders the set instead of 16 individual springs.

Also, you'll need a special spring compressor for the LS- the standard ones down't work.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 09:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Also figure out what you are really going to do with the engine. If you are going to buy a new harness and swap out any of the accessories, it doesn't make sense to buy a complete dropout. I did, and I ended up replacing almost everything and selling the take off's on eBay to recoup some cost. If I could do it again, I'd start with a long block and go from there.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the info so far guys.....I have lots to think about. Brent, I hear what you are saying about the harness. I had actually thought about modifying it myself. I am familiar with circuits and soldering and www.Lt1swap.com has some real good info about diy.....

I need to look at the prices of longblocks and compare ....any good sources?
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 12:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblakes View Post
Thanks for all the info so far guys.....I have lots to think about. Brent, I hear what you are saying about the harness. I had actually thought about modifying it myself. I am familiar with circuits and soldering and www.Lt1swap.com has some real good info about diy.....

I need to look at the prices of longblocks and compare ....any good sources?
It just wasn't worth it to me to try to adapt a harness. After all the other expenses I had during the project, the last thing I wanted to do was turn the key and not fire up (still happened, but it was my own fault).

I got my engine through Bow Auto Parts (http://www.bowautoparts.com/), out of Bow, NH. I found them on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/bowautoparts . They were local enough that I just drove up and picked the engine up, saving on shipping. They do full dropouts though, not long blocks. I just checked their eBay inventory, and prices look about $200 higher than when I bought mine over the winter.

For the harness, I used PSI Conversion out of NJ. Jon is the owner, and very responsive to e-mails and phone calls.

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Bowauto is where I have been looking at them....Hard to believe they have gone up that much in a few months.....

Anyone with other thoughts on Longblock vs dropout?

Thanks for the responses on the difference between LQ4 and LQ9. That helps alot....
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 02:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblakes View Post
Bowauto is where I have been looking at them....Hard to believe they have gone up that much in a few months.....

Anyone with other thoughts on Longblock vs dropout?

Thanks for the responses on the difference between LQ4 and LQ9. That helps alot....
I got mine mid January, and jumped on a lower mile LQ9. It was priced better than some of his others, struck a deal on the phone and picked it up the next day.

Do you care what the engine looks like? You said you're going to do an intake (good thing, the truck intake is ugly). The truck alternator sits pretty high compared to the other setups. Will you change the brackets to move it?

If you're going to keep it stock and mod the harness, buy the drop out. If you're going to do cam and intake (heads too?), harness too?, then maybe you don't need a complete engine. It just depends on what you're final goal is.

I'm the wrong person to ask, because I literally stripped the motor and started from scratch. I degreased it, painted it, did heads/cam/intake, new alt/ps pump & brackets, starter, harness, fuel rails, injectors.....Don't be like me, know where you want to end up. With that said, I couldn't be happier with final outcome.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 02:54 PM
John

Garage

I would buy the complete engine and harness with the ECM. Go the LQ9 for the higher compression. Then you can just add a better cam. I would not use a ZO6 as there are way better cams out there for not much more $.

The harness is super easy to chop and the ECM programming is a cinch.

That said a way better way to go is to use the new MSD Atomic set up. No Computer, NO Wiring Harness No tuning as it self tunes. Down side is it does not come cheap.

http://www.jegs.com/p/MSD-Ignition/M...33276/10002/-1

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 13, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I would probably clean it up a bit, which would include taking it apart for inspection. Only replace things that needed it. For now, as little as possible....then start saving again after the initial purchase...

Have no intention of purchasing new heads, just clean up the old ones....in fact, the stock cam will probably even be used for awhile, as noted above, to save cash.

As far as the alt. bracket, I do not see too much alternative to purchasing a different one, the stock one will not fit under the flat hood....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode