MPFI Intake Manifold - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 13, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

MPFI Intake Manifold

I'm toying with the idea of adding EFI to my 383 (somebody please talk me out of it)

I've noticed that in the few systems I've looked at, the multi-port systems seem to use single plane manifolds. Does the benefit of a dual plane intake for street driving go out the window or does the FI make up for it?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 13, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: MPFI Intake Manifold

EFI makes up for it.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 13, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
GM

I just finished installing the Holley Avenger MPI system on my 454, the install was straight forward and everything went smooth except for the bad o2 sensor out of the box. To sum it up I can't talk you out of it in good faith seeing this system is pretty much unbelievable! I'll never own a carb again.
As far as the single plane intake is concerned it does not take away from your low end torque seeing it is basically an air mover with the fuel being injected directly into the intake port of the head.
The self learning capability of the system is amazing to say the least but you can still fine tune with a laptop.
Go for it! you won't be sorry.

72 Nova 454 LS7 ATI Turbo 400 Moser WaveTrac rear

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 13, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I'm toying with the idea of adding EFI to my 383 (somebody please talk me out of it)

I've noticed that in the few systems I've looked at, the multi-port systems seem to use single plane manifolds. Does the benefit of a dual plane intake for street driving go out the window or does the FI make up for it?

Thanks.
I won't try to talk you out of it, but either make sure you've got a local tuner for whatever system you get, or confirm that any self-tuning feature will really get the car dialed in. I had a Holley Commander 950 on a 383. Idle, low end, acceleration, power, etc. were all fine; I felt I left some fuel economy on the table.

Also, you'll have to modify your fuel system to assure uninterrupted fuel flow under low fuel conditions. All of the LS guys struggle with this, with most of the solutions being well north $1,000. I stumbled onto a really good setup (ran the tank down to 1/2 gallon on a twisty road), which could be done pretty economically if you're a good welder, or know one: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116648

That said, there's nothing like turning the key and having the engine fire right up.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 13, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike - What do think of this tank/pump/sender setup? $220/$220/$35 plus shipping? http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd348.htm

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 13, 10:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike - What do think of this tank/pump/sender setup? $220/$220/$35 plus shipping? http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd348.htm
That might be okay. There's probably a big enough market for EFI tanks for these cars that cheaper solutions are being made than when I did my conversion.

The key is the baffling and the ability of the pump to pick up fuel in low fuel conditions. It's hard to tell if the baffle is the lowest point in the tank (good), or merely spot welded onto the floor at the same level as the rest of the bottom of the fuel tank (not as good). I'd try to get some pictures of the bottom of the tank and referrals from Tanks, Inc. and see if there are any car magazine reviews.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 05:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

I spent alot of money on cheap tank/pump solutions. In the end the only thing that worked was a Ricks tank Vaporworx system. I have a 454 in my camaro and had all sorts of fuel overheating problems. Contact Carl Cassanova and save yourself the pain and suffering.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 13, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Thanks again guys.

I've been considering the FAST EZ EFI 2.0 throttle body system. Looked at the Holley Avenger multi port system but it seems all of their kits include the fuel system parts that I wouldn't use. Haven't really looked at Edelbrock, Accel or MSD.

The more I think about it the harder is to justify the expense considering that it's just a fair weather toy. For now I think I'll stick with the good old Holley DP which works well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode