Scan data - Troubleshooting - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 13, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Scan data - Troubleshooting

I've been having some trouble with the LS2 transplant running rough after I've been driving it for a while. I haven't touched the injectors yet.
I don't have any fault codes related to the engine, other than the fact I'm not using the Oil Pressure Sensor. I have an external unit plugged into the engine.

I bounced the scan tool data off the data list to see if it would give me any clues. One set of specs stood out... the Inj. PWM Bank 2 data showed zero millivolts, while Bank 1 was where it should be, between 2 and 6mv.
I guess I should expect to see a Bank 2 reading? I don't know.

I didn't see anything else that stood out as grossly out of specs. The O2 sensors were about 400mv apart from each other but within the 10-1000mv range.

My scan setup doesn't seem to show the 5v Reference 1 & 2 specs.

My fuel trims were just below zero, which is near 0% as expected. But unfortunetly I didn't record whether those were long or short term readings.

The MAF was where its supposed to be.

The MAP was where its supposed to be.

The second area of concern was the misfires. The data output is confusing, but there were random misfires on a few cylinders at random times. The odd thing is the Total Misfires was very low compared to how many I saw. I definitely have a miss, as it runs rough.
Are there any other data points I should look at? The injectors and coils all pass, but that could just mean they're getting power, not necessarily performing corectly. Correct?
I'm wondering if the fact that I don't get any Inj. PWM Bank 2 data that it's the reason the engine runs rough.

This is the data List I used: http://hsv-gts.ls2.com/Scan%20Tool%20Data%20List.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; Sep 26th, 13 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 13, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Big Dave

Re: Scan data - Troubleshooting

Your misfires could be from bank 2 being lean?

You have to have injector pulse width or i believe your not fueling as you should.

That may be part of the problem...could be a connection?

dont know if this helps but all i got at the moment.

'69 camaro, was orig SS 396 car.
original tranny & 12 bolt

Now:
568 ci, Merlin Pro block
Callies crank, Oliver rods
AFR CNC 325, Nash 5 speed, 9'' Ford 35 spline locker
F1 Procharger that will get on soon...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 13, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Guess

I appreciate it Dave.
I'll have to take a closer, longer look at the live misfire data. If I remember correctly, most (if not all) of the misfires that I noticed were on the even side (bank 2).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 13, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Guess

I created an Excel file of a number of parameters from a scan log, but I can't attach it to a post.
Would someone be willing to let me email it to them so they can look at it and tell me what they think?

I seem to be having more issues than just the Inj. PWM Bank 2 data being absent. I have several Bank 2 issues according to the data log I collected tonight. I may have a Bank 2 O2 sensor problem.

My Bank 2 O2 Sensor data is stagnant. It reads 438mV and stays there, while Bank 1 changes as it should.
The Short Term Fuel Trims for the two banks are quite different from each other, with Bank 2 being much lower.
The Long Term Fuel Trims show Bank 2 being a few percent lower than Bank 1 across the board.
For some reason the Oxygen Sensor Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 - Sensor 2 data isn't shown, or wasn't collected. Bank 1 data is shown.
The AF Ratio is 14.7:1 and never changes.

I included quite a few columns of data that I thought were important. If there's something missing that you'd like to see, let me know and I'll try to include it.
Thanks!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 13, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Re: Scan data - Troubleshooting

Here are a few charts of some of the Data Log outputs.
Anything stand out besides the obvious?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ST_FT_Bank1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	46929   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT_FT_Bank1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	46937   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST_FT_Bank2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	46945  

Name:	LT_FT_Bank2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	46953   Click image for larger version

Name:	O2_Bank1_Voltage.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	46961   Click image for larger version

Name:	O2_Bank2_Voltage.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	46969  

Name:	MAP_Volts.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	46977  

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 13, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
Big Dave

You may have a dead o2...?

Happened to me once and had me chasing a lot of other things...thought no way as it was only a week old!
Well it was bad and made all kinds of gremlins for me.

Are you familiar with holleys efi forum web site?

Theres a guy there named "Danny Cabral" and he's one smart fella!

He has answered a lot questions with LS issues and is very good!

Are you using the factory ecm?

I tried to link the "Holley" site but having a problem...sorry.

Sorry for late replys but I work 2 jobs and one is a 24 hr gig so i apologize.

Im sure it will come togther! Keep us posted...nothin like an LS swap!

dave.

'69 camaro, was orig SS 396 car.
original tranny & 12 bolt

Now:
568 ci, Merlin Pro block
Callies crank, Oliver rods
AFR CNC 325, Nash 5 speed, 9'' Ford 35 spline locker
F1 Procharger that will get on soon...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 13, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Guess

I'm not familiar with that site. I'll definitely check it out Dave... appreciate it!
I'm sure the O2 sensor is at least part of the issue. I plan to replace it this weekend and see what happens. I know they can cause all kinds of funky things.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 13, 03:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Joe, I'd be suspicious of the O2 Sensors. As odd as it sounds, I had a similar problem on my LS2 GTO. I put LT's on it with a full exhaust. One of the O2's had frozen in the exhaust & had to be replaced. The shop put an aftermarket replacement O2 sensor in. Everything seemed fine, put after a few weeks it started getting similar misfires & errors to yours. I chased my tail for awhile. Eventually replaced the aftermarket o2 sensor with a GM one & the problem was gone. Never came back. Exhaust shop was mystified, but it was the only solution.

"The more I know about people, the better I like my dog."
-- Mark Twain
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 13, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Yeah... I hear ya Greg.
I never did go ahead and replace the Bank 2 sensor... I'm finding it difficult to spend $60 on a part that may or may not remedy it, and also being a part that I can't return.
I have one of the after-cat sensors still, but the connector is different. I wonder if I can figure out the pin-out for the before-cat sensor wires and swap the connector? It'd save me money.
I wish I could find the other sides after-cat sensor... it might be the same connector. Don't know what I did with it.
I'll have to check part numbers and see if I can even use it as a test sensor.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 13, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech
LS pwr

HwyStarJoe,
I had a similar problem with my LS2... Bank 2, misfires, etc...chased the O2 sensors around too... to no avail... I finally was so distraught.. I talked with a 'vette buddy of mine, he suggested going to the CHevy dealer, ask for the best corvette mechanic, and explain it to him... turns out they have a "super" OBDII machine, specifically for LSx 'vettes.... He threw the machine on my car and within a few minutes found a #7 fuel injector going bad (lower press than the rest)... I had him replace the injector and the whole job cost me $90. No hassles, no more issues...

might be worth your aggravation.

TC

TC

Uncle Sam Pilot

1968 Lemans Blue SS 'vert
LS2/4L70E
Link to my build site

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 13, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Thanks TC,
That's definitely an option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode