Video of Fast 2.0 installed - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 13, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Video of Fast 2.0 installed

I posted this on pro-touring as well so if your a member there as well you may have seen it....

Okay just finished the install. So far everything feels good, and seems to be responding well. I have not taken it very far on a test drive, basically through the neighborhood, just want to feel comfortable that its not going to cost me a tow truck ride back home. I did a quick video of the basic things I have done to the car as well as the 2.0. Don't laugh at my lack of mechanical ability, but almost everything done/installed on the car I have done myself in the garage.

I will clean everything up once I know it is good, and make it more appealing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 13, 08:17 PM
Team Member
Jerry

Re: Video of Fast 2.0 installed

Very cool ,nice job

69 SS/RS
565 BBC
Tremic 6 speed
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 13, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

I Think I may have spoke to soon. I have been working on this thing ALL DAY. Not sure whats going on. Yesterday, it seemed to be working fairly good except it would still loss power/communication and shut the car off, but would start right back up. I took it on about a mile drive, and it shut off going down the road but picked right back up. On the way back the o2 threw a code, but reset. I got it home cleared the code and it started right back up, so I parked it in the garage. This morning I figured I would take it on a longer drive so it could self learn. Well never made the ride. It started right up, but I could not even touch the throttle because it would flood. I reset the timing, and reset the ECU. Still no change, and would still lose communication and turn the car off. I played with the wiring all day, called Fast tech several times. I do have the power, and ground wire run to the trunk to the battery, the two wires runs right along side the 1 gauge wire running from the battery to the front where its connected to a bolt that passes through the floor, and connects to the alternator and starter. The Fast tech says the two wires may be picking up to much noise from the 1 gauge wire. So I will run two wires outside the car to the front and connect it to the ECU and see if that changes anything. Thats going to be a couple of days, because after starting on the car all day my starter/flywheel started just spinning, so got under the car so the starter bolts had became lose. Tried to tighten them and one broke off, so hopefully it did not brake off inside the block, but I think it did. So now its like going to the doctors office for something, its a guessing game until I find the solution.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 13, 05:11 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Nice upgrade

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Nice upgrade, as DougG says, and nice Camaro, to say the least.
X2 on the DC power wires.
Is the O2 sensor wire a shielded cable?
If it is, shield should be grounded at one end of the cable, not both ends, gets ground loop.
Could you place a spare battery in the pass floor and run FAST power to the spare battery only?
Certainly would eliminate induced noise. This is just a science project, not permanent.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Nice upgrade, as DougG says, and nice Camaro, to say the least.
X2 on the DC power wires.
Is the O2 sensor wire a shielded cable?
If it is, shield should be grounded at one end of the cable, not both ends, gets ground loop.
Could you place a spare battery in the pass floor and run FAST power to the spare battery only?
Certainly would eliminate induced noise. This is just a science project, not permanent.

THe 02 is not a grounded line, but can you protect it with one??
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Generally, OEM design have a foil shield wrapped about the wire from the sensor itself.
This singular wire is shielded from the supplied heater wires, if equipped.
The wire can be shielded using a braided hose, bunch it up, slide it over the wire, stretch the braid back out, crimp a terminal lug on one end and attach to ground, the other end of the braid, fold back upon itself and solder to itself.

But, if FAST doesn't worry about having a shielded wire, then I wouldn't worry about it now, unless all other options are exhausted first. I am sure there are several installed FAST systems set up the same and they work.

I would try a separate battery for the ECM.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I think I'd just connect power to the alternator or junction point if you have one under the hood and ground directly to an intake stud or cylinder head.

My ECU is mounted on the throttle body and the TB grounds through the intake studs. Main power is run between the inner and outer fender from the battery in stock location and does run parallel to a 4AWG amplifier cable there. I used to leave my connection cable (uses a laptop) run through the heater wire grommet. Never had an issue when running an HEI but when I went to an 8360 and mounted the coil to the firewall by the passenger side valve cover it would lose connection due to the proximity of the cable. Never had an issue running, just would loose connection with the laptop if connected.

What are you using for control power? Did you run a new wire from the IGN spade on the fuse block inside the car?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I think I'd just connect power to the alternator or junction point if you have one under the hood and ground directly to an intake stud or cylinder head.

My ECU is mounted on the throttle body and the TB grounds through the intake studs. Main power is run between the inner and outer fender from the battery in stock location and does run parallel to a 4AWG amplifier cable there. I used to leave my connection cable (uses a laptop) run through the heater wire grommet. Never had an issue when running an HEI but when I went to an 8360 and mounted the coil to the firewall by the passenger side valve cover it would lose connection due to the proximity of the cable. Never had an issue running, just would loose connection with the laptop if connected.

What are you using for control power? Did you run a new wire from the IGN spade on the fuse block inside the car?
To power the ECU I have a junction box that is powered with ign on. The box has several terminals for connecting different devices, so yesterday I removed it from that junction box and run it directly to the battery just to see if it would still lose power, but never got a chance to fully test it, due to the flooding.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 07:16 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You need one that is hot with the key in "start" also, not just "run". Is your junction box set up for that?

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 02:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I saw that the TPS was sending a signal to the control panel. Is it doing so when the failure occurs?
PLEASE fix it. I want one.
My Retrotek sure would look good at a swap meet.

ALSO!!! Those power windows are to die for. Do you have a link????

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 02:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Fred, there's probably some guys over on the Professional Products forum that would buy yours. They have a classifieds section.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 03:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Thanks Steiner, I'll have a look.
Oscar, I found the link. Lots of choices too.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 04:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Here is a link to a switch for that: http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Life-45820-Electric-Window-Switch/dp/B006ZLEUQI
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 13, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Fred,

You ask about the TPS signal and if is was doing that when the failure occurs?? I have no idea, would that be a issue?

Yes the windows are nice, also not sure if I showed it in the video, but the is no win-shied wiper motor it is installed inside the cow, its a seven system delay as well really nice, and mounts really nice. By rain-gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
I saw that the TPS was sending a signal to the control panel. Is it doing so when the failure occurs?
PLEASE fix it. I want one.
My Retrotek sure would look good at a swap meet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fast 2.0 efi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode