EZ EFI 2.0 on 662hp BBC with AFR's 4l80e - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 13, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

EZ EFI 2.0 on 662hp BBC with AFR's 4l80e

Guys,
Finished the retrofit of the EZ EFI 2.0 and EZ TCU into my 67 Camaro . Its installed on a 496 with AFR 265cc Oval Port heads and a gasket matched Victor JR ( may swap to a RPM air gap ). The engine uses a Hyd Roller Hybrid cam setup 248/255 662/629 107 LSA at 10.6 to 1 compression. Needless to say this is right at a worst case scenario cam/compression setup for a self learning EFI system to learn. Engine was Dyno'd at 662HP however this was before a spring change as it wasnt controlling the valve train and never retested after that stronger springs make your own conclusions after studying the Dyno chart but 685hp would be conservative estimate.

Basic run of the mill 2inch budget header into home made 3 inch with H-pipe through Dynomax VT muffers. I love these mufflers at cruise ZERO drone but the internal valving pop with the pulses of a radical tight LSA cam at idle which basically sounds like a rock in the muffer and has gotten slightly better..IMHO a teflon coated valve or such to quiten this behavior and these would literally be the perfect street strip muffler...but cruising it more important to me at this point....

The engine feeds a 4l80e with a TransGO HD2 shift kit, upgraded clutches steels, using a turbo 400 34 element sprag built by my friend. Its coupled with a 3600rpm Pro Edge Billet converter with High Carbon Lockup and controlled via the EZ TCU trans controller which mates with the EZ EFI via can link to pass RPM and TPS.....

Out back is a 9inch with 3.55s and a locker, power is put down via calvert racing suspension into 275/60 drag radials...car has 60ft of 1.4x with old combo wheels up foot braking.....

This system coupled with the fast dual sync dist ( beautiful piece ) and EZ TCU allows for complete power train management. Ive been playing with it, I had some fuel pressure issues at first which caused me some problems once they were lined out its been a great experience. Im running the system in return style configuration with a Walbro 400LPH pump mounted in factory style under car tank. This system is capable of controlling a returnless setup via PWM using a solid state relay.

Let me say this engine was built before the decision to try this retrofit as such its literally about worse case scenario for self learning system in just about every facet for high HP to low vacuum ( 8" ) and tight LSA cam with tall gears and tight converter in a heavy car ( 3780lbs with me )...I am THRILLED with the performance of the unit...coupled with the vt mufflers the system just swallows the rather radical cam and makes it so smooth and drivable. Do bear in mind that im coming from a nice wide band tuned 950 Ultra HP Holley for comparison extensively adjusted.... Ill start by including a cold start up video bear in mind this is a large radical 107 LSA cam using the supplied PVC port on TB as well....

http://www.mycherrypix.com/Other/496...4357&k=hCN7zgt

Cold start up boom its ready to rock...if I didnt want to put heat into the springs I could literally start and roll..it will idle in park or gear at 800rpm and clean up quickly...remember my combo is close to worst case scenario I fully expected to have issues didnt go into it with much in way of expectations. I did a 220 mile round trip and got 15.3 MPG and that was BEFORE I was using the vacuum advance...will be redoing the test soon...

Here are a few pics of the project....

Ive got the drag radials bolted on and I plan to get some passes in during tnt tomorrow driving it 70miles to the track. Ive had this car for 20+ years and ive had more fun with the retrofit of this entire combo in the last 2 months than ive had in the last 10 years combined...its absolutely docile until unleashed and a pleasure to drive...I dont expect the performance I used to have in that im putting a lot of weight over the nose with a fully decked out March Black Onyx revolver bracket and accessory drive including AC and Power steering in addition adding the weight of a PS gearbox vs flaming river manual, a much tighter converter, heavier transmission, and 4.10 to 3.55 gear swap...

Anyone want to make some ET predictions before tomorrow? Ive had a lot of health problems and ET is secondary to seat time I drive the car every pretty day and ive put about 3000 miles on this combo...LOVE IT what it runs its runs...Starts great, runs smooth, and provides a fun factor of 10!!! Im very surprised the EZ EFI was able to control, learn, and zero in on the level of driveability I get from this combo...highly recommended...Ill be doing more videos and ill report track results if I get there tomorrow...

Shawn

67 Camaro
FAST XFI Sportsman EFI
496 BBC
10.6/1 AFR 265 ovals 112cc
Straub Hyd Roller w Morel SR
4l80e with EZ TCU controller
9.5" 3600 Lockup
( OLD-SR [email protected]/8.51-1000ft/[email protected]/1.46-60ft)
P275/60R15 MT DOT radials
Wheels UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: EZ EFI 2.0 on 662hp BBC with AFR's 4l80e

Car sounds Good!

69 RS/SS X22 51-51 Dusk Blue coupe in resto......still.
69 X11 355 ci M22 3:73 12 bolt...current driver
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 13, 10:34 AM
Eric

I registered just so I could post to your thread - hope you don't mind..... I am active on Team Chevelle but never had a reason to post here.

Anyway, I just started my EZ 2.0 swap on my 496 Chevelle with very similar concerns which you addressed and am definitely super excited now! AFR 290s/Air Gap on mine but with a slightly less aggressive hyd. roller at 240/244, 629/592 on a 107 LSA from Straub with Mahle 18cc domes putting me at 10.7:1. My car makes between 530 and 550 hp to the tire on a chassis dyno (I've seen 555 before but am not convinced the dyno wasn't just happy that day...) Anyway, just started my swap this week and should be done by the weekend if all goes as planned! Just glad to finally see someone with a similar build who seems to be having success! I had a Jake's 4L80E in my car for the last year but just recently swapped it out for a T56 Magnum! Talk about making that big block fun!

I struggled with the decision to replace my ProSystems 4150 carb as that sucker is spot on but I really think this 2.0 system is going to be everything I could possibly want, and more! I will be replacing my MSD Pro-billet HEI with the dual-sync, adding a MSD 6AL-2, Walbro 400l/hr in-tank pump and return line to do a system nearly identical to yours! If the car is done in time, I will put it on the dyno Saturday and see what kind of power it makes!

Last night the new Rick's stainless tank went it!

Today or tomorrow a large portion of the FAST system should get bolted on!

This is what it is going on.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 13, 06:13 AM
Eric

Getting closer on mine....

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 13, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Reads like you are having a nice journey down the chosen fork ... cool.
Nice Camaro, enjoy it, now you can.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 13, 08:33 AM
Eric

Did you ever make any passes?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 13, 08:20 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

I'm curious too! I have a very similar combo with a PS1000 and TH400/GV set up that would like to do Fast 2.0 and possibly a 4L80e.

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 13, 05:57 AM
Eric

I got mine started over the weekend but still have a bunch of wiring to clean up before it comes off the lift.

I do seem to have IAC issues though. My IAC readings are 180 at idle and as you roll into the gas it goes down which is backward. It will not adjust down either. We confirmed the pin out on both the IAC plug behind the throttle body as well as the pin out into the ECM and both are correct so not sure what the deal is there.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 13, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Flem,
What do you mean it wont adjust down? first make sure you have your CI, target idle, and injector lbs speed set ( it uses this to calc your startup maps before learning ).

If it will idle at all, the first thing imho to verify is that the timing is WHERE the FAST THINKS it is. You can do this by using the timing verification screen which will lock it out at 20. Start your car, put it in timing verification mode and confirm its 20 ( it lets you tweak it without moving your dist ). If you have 20 from there what is your initial and total? Are you using the idle timing trim? if so how much? As you open up your throttle blades the IAC will close to maintain desired idle RPM....its not unusual with a tight LSA racing style cam for the IAC to be maxed on cold start then slowly work down....

Get the motor up to temp and use an allen wrench to open the throttle blades till the IAC reads 15-20 in park.

we need to verify your timing, your desired idle speed, the parameters you have set including your IDLE AFR...have it start up in master screen...with the IAC at 180 idling what is the target AFR, injector cycle, and lbs/hr? for instance I idle at about 1.1% INJ duty cycle and 6lb/hr fuel at 14.0
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 13, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D9 View Post
I'm curious too! I have a very similar combo with a PS1000 and TH400/GV set up that would like to do Fast 2.0 and possibly a 4L80e.
The lockup converter is a HUGE benefit...had I known how nice it would have worked I would have gotten a MUCH looser stall....everything gets quiter and I can literally watch the trans temps go down when it locks in....

SO nice, SO smooth, really loving my car again all because of this complete management system...I have a weak 2-3 WOT which has nothing to do with the controller but after I get that sorted out im golden...so docile till you let it loose you would never suspect 675hp...

Shawn

67 Camaro
FAST XFI Sportsman EFI
496 BBC
9.5" 3600 Lockup
Wheels UP!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 13, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
I got mine started over the weekend but still have a bunch of wiring to clean up before it comes off the lift.

I do seem to have IAC issues though. My IAC readings are 180 at idle and as you roll into the gas it goes down which is backward. It will not adjust down either. We confirmed the pin out on both the IAC plug behind the throttle body as well as the pin out into the ECM and both are correct so not sure what the deal is there.
Just to be clear IAC is a valve that provides an AIR BYPASS for idle so it would open up at idle and close as YOU open the throttle blades....when cold it may be maxed around 180 but warm and in park open throttle blades ( once you have confirmed everything else ) till it drops to around 15-20 in park which will be 50-100 in gear.. and yes will close down when you go down the road as bypass air is not needed...think of IAC as the holes we used to drill in our throttle blades to get the engine to idle...

67 Camaro
FAST XFI Sportsman EFI
496 BBC
9.5" 3600 Lockup
Wheels UP!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 13, 04:50 PM
Eric

This is probably the best answer to your questions

Hopefully that plays... Posting from iphone

Timing verified at 20 on the balancer.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 13, 05:28 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate67 View Post
The lockup converter is a HUGE benefit...had I known how nice it would have worked I would have gotten a MUCH looser stall....everything gets quiter and I can literally watch the trans temps go down when it locks in....

SO nice, SO smooth, really loving my car again all because of this complete management system...I have a weak 2-3 WOT which has nothing to do with the controller but after I get that sorted out im golden...so docile till you let it loose you would never suspect 675hp...

Shawn
Good talking to ya Shawn. Thanks for answering all my questions! Did you build your trans or is it a stock pull out?

69 Camaro
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 13, 06:16 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Opps just read the thread again..nice built trans

69 Camaro
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 13, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
This is probably the best answer to your questions

Fast 2.0 master screen - YouTube

Hopefully that plays... Posting from iphone

Timing verified at 20 on the balancer.
Eric sounds like its idling great and im going to assume the idle target is 900? if so just open the throttle blades ( idle set screw ) till its above idle rpm target and the ECU will start lowering the IAC to comply....

67 Camaro
FAST XFI Sportsman EFI
496 BBC
9.5" 3600 Lockup
Wheels UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode