Making the EFI Decision! - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 15, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Making the EFI Decision!

I have a very stock 68 L48 and I am on my third Quadrajet carb in five years. Stripped fuel inlets, cracked squirter bosses, worn throttle shafts, hard starting and general poor acceleration have made my life miserable. I get the carb really dialed in, and then something breaks, or the weather changes. I think I have myself talked into EFI, but there are so many choices. My current plan is to buy the Tanks Inc. tank with an internal pump and run a returnless fuel system. I also want to retain my stock snorkel air cleaner and heat stove tube which means I cannot run a spreadbore to squarebore spacer under the throttle body, so I am planing to buy an Edelbrock performer intake with the stock style oil filler and paint it orange. This would also allow me to keep my stock temp sender in the head and add the EFI temp sender to the manifold.

So, what EFI system would you recommend? I am trying to make it look as stock as possible and keep my stock distributor with a Pertronix ignitor II kit in it. I have heard good things about the MSD Atomic EFI and it looks pretty easy to hide. The Edelbrock E-street has the bluetooth tablet that gives you an amazing amount of data and seems like a solid choice as well.

The motor is totally stock, so the objective of the swap would be to increase the drivability and possibly help a bit with gas mileage as I drive the car close to 5,000 miles a year. Any help from those who have gone before me would be greatly appreciated!!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)

Last edited by 69-Pace; Mar 12th, 15 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 15, 04:05 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: Making the EFI Decision!

I did a FAST ez-efi on my 70 and used a spectra tank with a return. Very easy to do. I had some challenges early on with it but the newer 2.0 system is supposed to be waaay better. Other than a few wires around the intake it still looks pretty much stock. Spectra tank was a breeze.

70 Camaro, tree-80-tree/700r4
69 Dart GTS 340/727
66 Buck Special the lost pro-touring project
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 15, 04:27 PM
Banned
Chet

Why are you going thru so many Q-Jets. That seems odd.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 15, 05:14 PM
Team Member
Jerry

I just ordered the Fast XFI 2.0.

69 SS/RS
565 BBC
Tremic 6 speed
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 15, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

My Quadrajet history is complex. When I got the car it had a stripped fuel inlet. I fought that for a couple of seasons and then found a replacement carb. Spent money to get it rebuilt (and plated) only to find that the throttle openings in the bottom plate were so worn they could not be repaired. Found another replacement which worked for a couple years and then when removing the top plate to adjust it, the boss that holds the squirter lever retaining pin snapped off. I then bought a "new" carb from Classic which turned out to be a total piece of junk. I have cobbled together a working carb using it and parts from past units, but it seems like I am always adjusting it and it has a stubborn off-idle stumble that I just can't seem to fix.

I have a couple of great books and I have spent tons of time, but I just can't get the level of consistent performance I want. As terrible as this sounds, I am willing to spend $2,700 to just make my problems go away!

I am curious about the Fast EZ 2.0 unit. It looks interesting but it is $600 more than competing systems, and the 1.0 product had a pretty poor reputation for reliability and customer support.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 15, 03:08 PM
Banned
Chet

Wow. I am going with a F.I.R.S.T. tuned port unit which is like a GM TPI on steroids. I was going to have a stock TPI ported and get large runners but the F.I.R.S.T comes as large as I need for the street. I love the look of TPI and am tired of seeing a 14 inch chrome air cleaner under every hood. Send me a pm if your interested in a complete TPI less computer off a 88 Vette.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 15, 09:31 AM
Tech Team
Brian

I am running the Holley Terminator kit on my 408 with the tanks Inc setup and couldn't be happier. It is a completely different car now after replacing the Holley 750 that was on it. Its a lot easier to drive around now with the family in the car and it turns into a monster when I am tooling around by myself

Here are a couple vids from initial start-up and throttle response (while early in the self tune stage) with my setup. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__krps0XfsE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUKw5-IFF9w

69 Camaro X44
408ci
Terminator EFI
AFR 195's
XE274H
T56 Magnum
4:10 posi
12 Bolt

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 15, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Iíve been running the FAST EZ-EFI with an in-tank pump for about 1 Ĺ years. It works pretty good most of the time, but Iíve had some reliability issues with it. Throttle response is really impressive and mileage is improved. A couple of things to keep in mind when going the EFI route include your charging and ignition system. FAST recommends using an ignition box to provide a timing signal to the computer, which I didnít know when I purchase my unit. Also, the system is fed through a 20 amp fuse, so youíll likely need to install a larger alternator in order to maintain the proper voltage at night. Iím still using my original 55 amp alternator, and itís barely adequate if Iím idling around town with the headlights on.

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
Oscar

I purchased the FAST 2.0 system when they first came out. Many who first purchased them had issues with electrical interference with them, to include myself. I finally got it worked out and have used it for two years, and run nitrous with this system with no problems. No with that said Fast has since fixed the issue with the electrical interference by installing some sort of filter system inside the ECU, so that issue from what I understand is basically non existent. I''m still running this system but just purchased the Sportsman series ECU to run it because I'm having a custom Turbo built for the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode