FITech throttle body EFI? - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

FITech throttle body EFI?

I have been running a MSD Atomic throttle body EFI for about a year now and have been happy with it. But recently I found a new FITech throttle body EFI that has me thinking I may swap out the MSD.

http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-...m4-InjectorKit

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this new unit. It sells for about half the price of the current crop of EFIs on the market and was apparently designed by GM engineers using stock replacement GM injectors and sensors. Considering the price and the people who designed it, it looks like it could be a real game changer in the throttle body EFI market.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you! Jeremy Clarkson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 15, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: FITech throttle body EFI?

I don't really post here anymore but saw this and wanted to comment. I do not believe that system was designed by any GM people but rather by the same person who created the old Boss and Retrotek systems. See post 4 at the thread below:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...ection.937206/

Professional Products bought out Retrotek about six years ago and all the original people are gone. The problem with the Retrotek is that it was marketed as a "self tuning system" when in reality you really needed to tune it yourself to optimize it, and to get around some of the software bugs. One of the old software guys there told me as much but said the owner wanted it to be marketed as a hands-off does-it-by-itself system because honestly that's what anyone new to EFI would want to buy. This FI Tech system is probably very similar with hopefully some improvements and the addition of a keypad for those who are "scared" to tune their own system while still allowing you to use a laptop. The handheld-only units cannot be fully optimized, period. I believe some of the old Retrotek guys are also over at Procomp because their "Turnkey EFI" system...well, one of my friends downloaded their software, changed the extension on the end of one of his old Powerjection files, opened it with their software, and it loaded fine. He said the software still even had some of the old Powerjection bugs in it. I know for sure one of the Retrotek guys went there years ago (after he got fed up after the Professional Products buyout) because he showed me screenshots of the software he was working on for them, but I do not think he is there anymore.

Now, if you are happy with your MSD unit but just want to be able to do more with it I'd recommend looking into one of the Holley or F.A.S.T. systems that can be used as the ECU to control your existing unit. My friend went with the Holley HP on his old Powerjection and then eventually upgraded to multiport using the Powerjection TB to control air only, then installed a different throttle body altogether and has gone to sequential injection. I am doing the same on my Powerjection III system since the computer died a few weeks ago but am using the F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI which was $1337 through Tick Performance. I'm controlling fuel only with it right now and it took less than two hours of driving time to dial the map in, and that was with the "autotune" turned off as it has the same learning function as the EZ EFI 2.0 system....it's basically a laptop tunable EZ. It did take some time going over datalogs and adjusting the base tune, but less than two hours of driving to do those logs. Actually it doesn't take much driving time at all if you can get datalogs of various situations. I had a friend drive some so I could tune on the fly but that was a waste of time.

A new V3.0 ECU for my old V2.1 unit would have been $500, bolted/wired right on, and did come with timing control (which V2.1 did not have but that some have said does not function correctly all the time) and I could have been back on the road after fixing the cal file for the new programming package. However, I just have a bad feeling that it will not be supported much longer so I went with someone who has been around a while and most likely will continue to be.

Next year when I have more cash I'm installing the F.A.S.T. RHS EFI intake, buying four more of the same injectors I have now, buying the dual sync distributor, and will be using the PJ-III throttle body for air only. Then it will be batch fire multiport with computer controlled timing...a real user tunable timing map not just "input total timing and RPM" etc.

I think most of these units use standard GM type sensors for TPS, IAC, CTS, MAP, etc. My new harness plugged right into my old sensors. I only had to buy a new MAP sensor because the PJ-III one was soldered to the ECU and install the IAT sensor in the air cleaner. Did a TPS sensor calibration and that was it. Input engine and injector parameters, let it make a base map, and go from there.

Once again, these "self learning" units are decent but they are limited in what you can do and how much engine you can run them on, like the EZ and Sportsman units need around 9" of idle vacuum to operate correctly. Lots of people have issues that could be tuned around if there was access to the software. I feel like they are meant to instill confidence in someone who wants EFI without overwhelming them. No harm in that, but you get what you get. There are even some things in the Retrotek unit I could do that the Sportsman XFI can't like fixed idle pulsewidth for a large cam. You have to spend more money to get everything, no way around it really.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Sep 7th, 15 at 07:24 AM.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 02:39 PM
f68
Tech Team
Alan Mays

What I mainly want to know is what about blow thru turbo with this fitech kit

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 15, 05:01 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Just an FYI. My buddy ordered the kit and they are 4 weeks back ordered. Guy over at FITech said they can't keep the units on the shelves.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 15, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Just an FYI. My buddy ordered the kit and they are 4 weeks back ordered. Guy over at FITech said they can't keep the units on the shelves.
Well that's good, at least now maybe someone who bought one can comment.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 15, 01:30 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
Well that's good, at least now maybe someone who bought one can comment.
Yes I agree. It will be installed on a 69 GTO though. 1100 shipped with the fuel line kit. Free shipping because of the backorder. Should be free shipping anyway IMHO.

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 15, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

I think Steiner gave you a pretty good reply. Don't get caught up in the low cost. You get what you pay for.

Have you read their return policy? " You can return the new, unused part within 60 days from the purchase date." The key word "unused" how do you test it?

You might also read their warranty. There is a lot of information there that you need to understand before you spend your money.

Good luck with your decision.
Mike
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 15, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Good to hear the Atomic EFI served you well. I have a brand new one sitting in a box waiting for my BluePrint 396 Stroker to show up.

68 Camaro: SBC 396 Stroker motor from BluePrint and an MSD EFI.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 15, 04:00 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK-4 View Post
I think Steiner gave you a pretty good reply. Don't get caught up in the low cost. You get what you pay for.

Have you read their return policy? " You can return the new, unused part within 60 days from the purchase date." The key word "unused" how do you test it?

You might also read their warranty. There is a lot of information there that you need to understand before you spend your money.

Good luck with your decision.
Mike
I didn't spend anything lol. Not many places will take back a used part yet alone a fuel injection system. Anyway I do agree with you "you get what you pay for". Look for an update after the install, then we can have a better discussion on the topic.

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 15, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

There are installs popping up now and you can google "fitech install" or "fitech review" to find some info. Most of it looks positive.

Regarding the statement on their "About us" page: "FiTech's technology is designed and developed using OEM level engineering and components. The software has OEM level functionality, diagnostics, and limp home modes.".......
.......that may be creative license as here is part of the bio from one of the employees: "Jeremy has spent the last 10 years in China working for Fuel Injection Technologies Ltd. (a parent company of FiTech), which has developed products that grew into a competitive alternative to Bosch and Delphi for OEM vehicle manufacturers in China."
I know that the units ship from China.

Now, here is what I know (with a little conjecture thrown in for good measure). FiTech is Ken Farrell. He was one of the original designers off the Boss EFI units which later became Retrotek, then they were taken over by (or sold to) Professional Products who made Farrell "director of electronic products". The common thread with those models has been lack of support and customer ratings on the low end of the spectrum, but then again they have typically been the lowest cost options. There is a reason he doesn't list these names in his bio.

When Professional Products took over, they did/do offer a forum but then all of the tech support (Cody, Bryce, and Doug) left and the customers were/are running the tech support aspect. Bryce is now at FITech I believe. So apparently Farrell left before those guys did and has set up shop competing against them with most likely near identical ECU (though hopefully improved). I have been told by EFI experts to avoid the units with ECU in the throttle body as they will fail it's just a matter of time. Mine did but it took about 10,000 miles. They stay cool enough while the car is running but once you shut it off all that heat has to go somewhere....might be a good idea to install some sort of heat shield plate under the throttle body, Retrotek used to supply an insulator type gasket like is used with Edelbrock carbs but it just helped with directly conducted heat soak.

I bought my Powerjection right before the Professional Products rebranding but it shipped as a Professional Products packaged unit. I found several bugs in the software as well had a few component failures. The good thing is that it was laptop tunable so I was able to get around some of the problems. It was "OE equivalent" and these were/are common problems:
-Fuel fittings leaked onto intake, found stripped fittings in fuel regulator and lines feeding throttle body. Built my own lines and moved regulator from throttle body to fender. Replacement fuel regulator had NPT fittings machined wrong and leaked worse than original requiring a tow home after sealant got washed out. JB-Welded fittings into it.
-Professional Products fuel pump very loud and failure prone, was told by tech it didn't sound right. Replaced with Walbro.
-Professional Products fuel filter element detached inside canister. Replaced with Fram.
-Coolant temperature sensor failed, would not register below 60 degrees. Replaced with parts store GM equivalent.
-Throttle position sensor failed, had step creep at idle. Replaced with parts store GM equivalent.
-ECU failed. Replaced with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI.

So, this is at least an indication of the history of the business practices of the FiTech founder. Right now the company info page indicates just a handful of employees so I hope that the support does not go the same way as earlier ventures.

All that said, past performance is not always an indicator of the future. Being the cheapest does not always mean the worst, and this is coming from someone who bought the cheapest (at the time). The EZ units which cost much more have their own share of issues. The important thing is to at least know what you're getting into an be prepared. Hopefully these things will have as near a 100% satisfaction rate as possible.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 15, 07:51 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Well my buddy finally received his FiTech fuel injection kit. I must say, this thing looks like a quality part. Yes, only time will tell how good it really is. The car is in the body shop, so the install is still in the near future.

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 15, 06:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I just order my 600HP kit, should have it in a week. Jegs has them. I will get updates and take photos

1967 SS (496) BBC FiTech EFI
1972 454 Fitech EFI (Baldwin motion clone)
1978 Trans am Gold SE W72 (461)
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 15, 03:23 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott67ss396 View Post
I just order my 600HP kit, should have it in a week. Jegs has them. I will get updates and take photos
Please do!!

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 15, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Holley is now offering something similar starting in March. Curious how these all pan out.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 15, 08:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

will install this weekend

1967 SS (496) BBC FiTech EFI
1972 454 Fitech EFI (Baldwin motion clone)
1978 Trans am Gold SE W72 (461)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode