MSD Return line kit - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 15, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

MSD Return line kit

I have an Atomic EFI that I am going to install when I do my motor swap and after lots of research and coaching from you guys, I decided to go with a Tanks Inc. EFI Gas Tank and run a return line.

Alot of you guys recommended the Corvette regulator and while it would be alot easier install, MSD recommends against that so I went with their return line system and their regulator.

I bought the Holley bracket that you see in the below picture, at the recommendation of one of the MSD techs on their forums (the pic is what the tech posted of another person's set up), but it is not a direct bolt up at all.

Has anyone else used this set up? If so, do you have pics of the bracket you fabricated to make it operate correctly?

I was thinking of just buying a flat piece of steel and drilling holes in it and making a sort of clamp, that will hold it in place on the Holley bracket.

Also, can I run the vacuum from the distributor to the vacuum fitting on this fuel regulator? It would keep from from having to buy another fitting for the throttle body.

68 Camaro: SBC 396 Stroker motor from BluePrint and an MSD EFI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 15, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: MSD Return line kit

I installed my Atomic EFI just about a year ago. At first I was running it returnless but had some heat vapor lock issues. I ultimately went to a return system with a regulator but I used the existing steel fuel line as the return. I also installed some hose heat insulation on both the feed and return hoses from the TBI down about 40" to just past the firewall in an effort to keep the engine heat out of the fuel lines.

As for your vacuum question, NO! The fitting on the regulator is a vent only. You must run the vacuum advance canister to a ported vacuum source on the throttle body. Your installation instructions will clearly indicate which connections on the throttle body are ported and which are live vacuum.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you! Jeremy Clarkson

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 15, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshake View Post
I installed my Atomic EFI just about a year ago. At first I was running it returnless but had some heat vapor lock issues. I ultimately went to a return system with a regulator but I used the existing steel fuel line as the return. I also installed some hose heat insulation on both the feed and return hoses from the TBI down about 40" to just past the firewall in an effort to keep the engine heat out of the fuel lines.

As for your vacuum question, NO! The fitting on the regulator is a vent only. You must run the vacuum advance canister to a ported vacuum source on the throttle body. Your installation instructions will clearly indicate which connections on the throttle body are ported and which are live vacuum.
Thanks alot...very good information!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 15, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

What was the reasoning behind recommending against the corvette-style regulator? When I was looking at the MSD system a year or so ago, they were very supportive of that approach and even sent me a picture of a Firebird they used as a test car installed that way. Curious what night have changed their minds. Are you running an in-tank pump?

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 15, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverichard View Post
What was the reasoning behind recommending against the corvette-style regulator? When I was looking at the MSD system a year or so ago, they were very supportive of that approach and even sent me a picture of a Firebird they used as a test car installed that way. Curious what night have changed their minds. Are you running an in-tank pump?
Yeah, I just bought the Tanks Inc EFI tank. The diagrams on their site and the techs do not recommend the corvette regulator.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 15, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I can't attach pics from my phone but if you Google msd atomic efi return line, you will see the diagram a few pics down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode