FiTech on 454 - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 16, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

FiTech on 454

I want to put efi on my car. Just got it out of paint jail and back on the road. First time I've driven it in 16 years got to drive it one day and lost second gear in my th 400. So I haven't bought it yet. Looking at the FiTech or Holly sniper. I will get a new tank with an in tank fuel pump and run another 3 /8 stainless fuel line. I've been reading every forum post I can find on the subject and would have ordered by now but have to get the tranny rebuilt.
I currently have a worn out Holly 850 dp and a drop base air cleaner on my bbc under a 2 inch cowl hood. I have a performer rpm non air gap intake. Looks like with the efi I can't use a drop base air cleaner. Has anyone else run into this issue. Wondering if it will fit under the hood.
Seems like most people with in tank pumps are pretty happy with these systems for the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 16, 05:30 AM
John

Garage
Re: FiTech on 454

In tank is the way to go. I'd go with either the Holley or Fast efi
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 16, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
In tank is the way to go. I'd go with either the Holley or Fast efi
Why is that?

ERIC
67 Convertible, 350CID, TKO600RR, 3.73 Eaton Posi

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 16, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

I was pretty interested in Holly Vega$69 looks like I'll have time to figure out which way to go. Tranny is coming out of the car today and my corvette ralleys are causing tire rub issues. Need to get a different back spacing and wheel width. Picking one issue at a time to solve. I will take a look at fast also. Had reservations with FiTech due to customer service issues. They haven't answered the phone from me.
Thanks for your opinion.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 16, 02:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

I have a dropped air cleaner on my Holley Terminator efi, but it's a SBC.

Some of the TBI style EFI don't like a divided plenum intake,due to MAP sensor location on one side. If you have the milled out divider or and open spacer it may be ok.

Lots of Holley EFI questions answered here -> Holley EFI

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 16, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

In tank pump is the way to go in my opinion. Quieter and more reliable. I would not bother running a return line to the front of the car. Buy an LS-style fuel filter regulator and mount it on the frame rail close to the tank. It will pass a constant 58psi and divert the excess back to the return line to the tank. Inexpensive and available at any autoparts store.

Here is one with the AN adapters included:
LS Fuel Filter Regulator

An added bonus is that it is a filter and regulator in one.

Check the online instructions for the unit you choose to buy. Several manufacturers do not allow you to run hard lines to the EFI, so you many be running rubber AN6 anyway. In that case, you could use your existing hard line as your return.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 16, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

Thanks daverichard. I've heard of fuel hammer issues with hard lines. Seems odd but I will look into that and the LS filter regulator. Hate doing things twice.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

The Sniper has a built in fuel pressure regulator. Go with something like a Tanks Inc setup with in tank pump. Keep in mind that some systems require a certain fuel pressure and might not have a user adjustable pressure value input for the fueling calculations so the LS filter/regulator is not an across the board solution.

Go with a single plane intake, dual planes have uneven fueling issues with TBI.

The guy who runs FiTech has a history of three or four different companies now where customer service eventually falls off the map. I know this is his third EFI company now. Holley, FAST, Edelbrock, QuickFuel et al will be there at some point in the future. However, even with those the best help you typically get on their forums is from customers or tuners....you have to call and talk to someone at the company if you want their help.

And above all get something that allows some level of user tuning.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 16, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

Steiner, I was planing on going with tanks inc system. Seems like the best way to go. Sounds like a single plane intake will work better than my performer RPM. My horse power is about 550 and the fitech and Holly systems 4 injector versions advertise up to 600. That's getting close. But wasn't sure if one of the bigger systems would control poorly. Seems like they only have two injector sizes. I would like some level of user tuning. If the unit can't build a proper fuel table on its own I'll give it a try. Which systems can you tune your self.
Thanks for your help.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 16, 06:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwolf View Post
Steiner, I was planing on going with tanks inc system. Seems like the best way to go. Sounds like a single plane intake will work better than my performer RPM. My horse power is about 550 and the fitech and Holly systems 4 injector versions advertise up to 600. That's getting close. But wasn't sure if one of the bigger systems would control poorly. Seems like they only have two injector sizes. I would like some level of user tuning. If the unit can't build a proper fuel table on its own I'll give it a try. Which systems can you tune your self.
Thanks for your help.

The Holley Terminator can do some tuning with the included 3.5" touch screen,or plug in your laptop for full access to timing tables,fuel tables,IAC and everything else....The terminator ECU is the same as the HP ECU.
If you go with something like that, make sure you have a compatible distributer to take advantage of the timing control, like a GM small cap HEI,they're not too expensive, as compared to a new MSD.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 16, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

Did some reading on the Holly forum. Looks like the terminator is a pretty good system. Thanks for the heads up. A lot of knowledge on that system. Probably worth the price difference between it and the fitech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode