Any advice appreciated - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 16, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Question Any advice appreciated

I am building a BB (454 + .060) for my Camaro. It is a street rod, not a racer. I am going to go EFI, I just can't decide on which one. I am leaning towards the F.A.S.T and FiTech systems. I have read the manuals for both and found each has advantages and disadvantages. I already have an Aeromotive tank with EFI pump (340) all plumbed in with Russells nylon braided hose and -06 AN fittings and replaced all lines with SS fuel and brake. I have a return line as well.
Any advice would be appreciated. After all, experience is better than a manual.

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 16, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Re: Any advice appreciated

What is your budget and do you want forged parts or Hypereutectic pistons and cast steel crank?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 16, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
mike

I think he is asking which EFI. Sorry I can not help but even Holley has jumped into the game with TBI(looks just like the Fitech.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 03:35 AM
Senior Tech
Kip

I am in the middle of getting a Holley Terminator system up and running. I am on the fence on whether or not I would recommend it. The actual product is great. However, Holley tech support if terrible. I can never get through. They dont call me back. The one time I made it to a person, he was less than helpful.
The Holley forum is no better. The only help comes from a couple guys that dont even work for Holley. No Holley presence at all.

Whatever you go with, find out beforehand what kind of manifold it works best with. Terminators dont like dual planes with dividers. Never heard that from Holley though... I would consult outside sources. (tuners)

Holley also has old TBI software on their website for the Terminator which has multiple incorrect fuel graphs and values.

So.. my point is... ask LOTS of detailed questions from whichever company you go with....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 06:10 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Kev, is Randy from Canada pretty active on the Holley forum? He and I were brothers in arms on the Professional Products forum for a while and both had Powerjection systems....I pretty much disappeared and he was just a customer but became pretty much their entire tech support....so much so that he had to make an announcement when he was going to be on the forum less.

We both went different ways....he replaced his Powerjection ECU with a Holley to run the TBI unit and eventually went full sequential multiport. I replaced mine with a FAST Sportsman XFI and have everything to convert it to multiport but the Sportsman will only do batch fire. I'm too lazy to add the minimal stuff to go sequential anyway, hell I'm still running a mechanical distributor.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

To add on to what Kev stated:

TBI does not work optimally with any dual plane intake. There can be reversion issues and uneven cylinder fueling. They don't tell you this.

"Self Learning" systems without manual tuning functionality do not function well on engines with low vacuum, like 10" or less. You need to be able to scale the load mapping properly and set up the idle cell properly with lower vacuum. They do not tell you this.

"Self Learning" systems do not function optimally on manual transmission cars. Each gear has different fueling requirements across the load points so the system might adjust the long term map while you're in one gear, then when you hit load/rpm point in another gear the value is off and short term trim has to adjust a lot. If you can't adjust step jumps and transport delays (which decide how much short term adjustment is done before the long term map is adjusted) or tune it yourself closely so closed loop is handling everything with learn turned off (how mine is set up) then you wind up with a lot of AFR spikes and swings during normal driving that you feel. Say it with me....They do not tell you this.

Avoid any system that is solely "self learning" with little user input.
If you have the cash, go with multiport out of the gate.
Customer service is going to be just about a wash with all of them. If you want service then you need to buy your system from someone who sells and services them, like some of the tuners that post on the FAST forum for example.
Tick Performance has the best prices in the world on FAST, bar none.
You can do it, don't sell yourself short on what you can learn thanks to the internet.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Good info to know. I am using a dual plane Weiand Stealth on the BB. It has a deep plenum and a short divider so I think it will work. As for the EFI, I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to EFI "mapping". Most of the mapping info went right over my head along with some hair. I do like the F.A.S.T. system since you can adjust the primary settings and download the mapping software. For me, that's like buying a banana split and watching it melt. I am lucky to have a shop in town that is EFI savvy. They tuned by brothers vette for him and it ran great.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 06:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

I am headed in the same direction. I have a newly built 454 in my 69 with an 850 double pumper on a performer rpm dual plane intake. The more I read and study the more money I want to spend. my car is running ok now with the carb but I am leaning towards a multi port and away from a throttle body EFI system. It will cost more but seems easier to tune properly. Seems to make sense to control spark with a computer also. would be nice to have a knock sensor. Plan and research figure out what you want in the end. These guys that have been through this journey are invaluable. Keep us informed and we can all learn together.

69 X66 72 72
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 16, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

I wish I had forked over the extra $$ for the Muli port system... I liked the idea of the throttle body systems looking "right"... but if I can get through my tuning issues... it wasnt worth it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode