1967 Camaro FiTech Build - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 16, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Andy

1967 Camaro FiTech Build

I purchased a 1967 Camaro about a month ago and decided to go fuel injection. Car is a 350 small block and TH350 transmission. After a ton of research, this is my plan.
-Ricks Tank Restomod Tank - comes with new 2016 OEM SS Camaro pump in the tank RestoMod Fuel Tanks - Rick's Tanks
-fitech up to 600 HP
-Painless wiring with breaker relay Weatherproof Fuel Pump Relay KitDetails | Painless Performance

With this setup, the pump is designed for 58 psi, which is exactly needed for the FiTech. Therefore, I will not need an inline regulator and pump is in the tank. Also filters are in the tank. All I will need to run is fuel line and will not have to have return line either. I did not like the look of the fuel command deal that FiTech makes.

So far, all I have done is remove fuel pump and put block off plate, remove old quadrajet, remove old fuel tank and lines.

I am going to post some pics as I get done, but I think this will be the cleanest way to run the EFI setup. I hope this helps others. I looked everywhere before doing this setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160909_19_08_35_Pro.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	164074  

Last edited by cacowan; Oct 26th, 16 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 16, 07:53 PM
John

Garage
Re: 1967 Camaro FiTech Build

I just completed the FAST EZ EFI install on a 383. Used Tanks inc EFI tank with 255L in tank pump and the Corvette Filter/Regulator which regulates to 58 psi.

Same set up I use on my LS swaps.

Did the initial set up with the handheld and it performs perfect.

Good luck with the Fitech
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 16, 07:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

You'll still need a return line. FYI.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 16, 08:46 AM
John

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
You'll still need a return line. FYI.
Yes the corvette regulator returns to the tank. Nice thing is it's mounted close to the tank and you run a single fuel line to the engine
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 16, 02:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

According to this link you don't need one if you have an external regulator. You can block (or cap it off) the return line. I am running the vaporworx tank on my LS3 and it is great! Both systems require 58 PSI. Be sure to run PTFE style fuel line.

Do I need a return line? ? FiTech Fuel Injection

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 16, 07:21 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
According to this link you don't need one if you have an external regulator. You can block (or cap it off) the return line. I am running the vaporworx tank on my LS3 and it is great! Both systems require 58 PSI. Be sure to run PTFE style fuel line.

Do I need a return line? ? FiTech Fuel Injection
The tech post reads you can block off the return at the TB.

If you have an external bypass regulator the bypassed fuel returns to the tank.

I believe the 5th Gen pump regulates with PWM so not sure how it would work with a basic FP relay.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 16, 05:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Post Re: 1967 Camaro FiTech Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The tech post reads you can block off the return at the TB.

If you have an external bypass regulator the bypassed fuel returns to the tank.

I believe the 5th Gen pump regulates with PWM so not sure how it would work with a basic FP relay.
John, the OP was asking about using the FITech with a Vaporworx tank. The Vaporworx system uses a 5th gen fuel module assembly. It has the pump, regulator and filter in one assembly. The LS3/L99 pump assembly (which is standard in the Vaporworx setup) has an "regulated" output of 58 PSI. My VW setup only has a power, ground and sender wires. You don't start dealing with PWM functions unless you have ZL1 and CTSV pumps and supercharging (not sure with other type power adders). The VW only has one line connection and no provisions for a return line. Th bypassed fuel never leaves the tank.

Just trying to stick with questions that are asked and not how they relate them to other different systems people are using. They do the same thing just differently. There are other options besides the Tanks inc setup.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 16, 06:42 AM
John

Garage

I wasn't referencing the Tanks set up I just wasn't sure how the 5th Gen pump worked. Sounds like a neat setup to regulate everything inside the tank.

One note on the painless relay set up.

I just installed a similar kit for a FAST set up and the 30 amp circuit breaker would trip after about 15 seconds and the engine would shut off. Would immediately restart and then shut off again. Pain in the A to figure out what was going on. Lol

I removed the CB and everything works great. I talked FAST and they never use one and also based on the fact I had never used a circuit breaker in any of my other electric fuel pump builds.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 05:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

Good luck with the set up.

You can always retake a class, but you can never relive a party
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 06:22 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
John, the OP was asking about using the FITech with a Vaporworx tank. The Vaporworx system uses a 5th gen fuel module assembly. It has the pump, regulator and filter in one assembly. The LS3/L99 pump assembly (which is standard in the Vaporworx setup) has an "regulated" output of 58 PSI. My VW setup only has a power, ground and sender wires. You don't start dealing with PWM functions unless you have ZL1 and CTSV pumps and supercharging (not sure with other type power adders). The VW only has one line connection and no provisions for a return line. Th bypassed fuel never leaves the tank.

Just trying to stick with questions that are asked and not how they relate them to other different systems people are using. They do the same thing just differently. There are other options besides the Tanks inc setup.
Hi Chris. Ricks changes the regulator on the LS3/L99 pump to get 58psi. All stock 5th gen pumps Camaros have high pressure regulators and use PWM. Ricks has to pull the high pressure regulators and install 58 psi regulators for the non PWM tanks like you have. I know this because I had to change one back to run a Vaporworx PWM controller on an LS3. They told me they have hundreds of the high pressure regulators that they have pulled out.

PWM control essentially regulates fuel pressure by toggling the pump on and off with a varying duty cycle. Advantage is less heat generated by the pump versus the pump on 100% of the time with a return regulator.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode