Team Camaro Tech banner

Sniper Fuel Economy

18K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  gphusker 
#1 ·
Well, I know people have been asking about the fuel economy of carb vs EFI, difficult to relate though it may be, and I wanted to share my experiences.

The rear is an 8.2" w/ Yukon Posi 3.08. The tranny is a TKO-500 with the 3.27 1st gear. The engine is a BluePrint full Roller 383 430hp, coil in cap dist, Edelbrock dual plane EPS, with electric fans. For a carburetor, I was running a Edelbrock 1406 (it's a 1405 set to run leaner from the factory).

Before I moved out to AZ, I used to drive 80/20 highway/city and still have receipts showing 22.9-23.3 mpg per tank on the carb.
Driving from The West Valley in Phoenix, through Phoenix to 87 and then up through the mountains to Flagstaff with the AC on and two kids in the back, we averaged high 18's in the mpg. That includes the 5K ft elevation change and the city driving through Flagstaff.
Once I installed the Sniper system, choose stock cam in the set up Wizard regardless of what your cam is..., I drove it around and let it learn how to be happy. Once it was, I adjusted the Idle AFR to 14.0, The WOT AFT to 13.0 and the Cruise AFR to 15.0. She was happy and had no temp issues of lack of power in Lean Cruise, so I upped the AFR to 15.5. With those settings, I am averaging over 25 mpg. Pure Highway @ 65 is over 27mpg. For my next trick, I'm gonna try and lean her out some more and try to find a stock GM distributor that I can lock out and use the Sniper System to control the timing.

- Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
Pretty dang cool information Rob. I just installed one of these on my car and though my motor configuration isn’t similar in cubic inches the info is somewhat applicable. Thanks for posting. I may hit you up in the near future to pick your brain on how to do this myself with my sniper.

#7 ·
Well, she did not like the 16/1 cruise.... However, I believe it is because the parameters of Idle, Cruise and W.O.T. are not ideal for my car. It would seem that the closer I get to WOT, the richer the afr would get; and it does, but not until around 30% throttle!!!!! So, hear I am trying to accelerate for a pass on the highway at 65 mph in 5th at about 1650 rpm. 16/1 ain't gonna cut it. I suppose I may need to buy the $50 cable so I can adjust those parameters on my laptop. Sigh....

#8 ·
Nice...my problem is keeping my foot out of it :eek:

Always blip the pedal on under passes, city streets, and such :eek:

I may go FI one day, buddy has a FITech I can try, but its the smaller one which might be too small for my motor :(

#9 ·
Not going to like 16- 1 afr on any motor and detonation will kill the motor let alone the mileage stick around 14.8 - 15.

Have you set it up to let the sniper control timing? Doing so will get you the best of both mileage and throttle response. You can use an adjustable MSD rotor.

#13 ·
Well in my experiences! The one important item would be to wire the Sniper EFI A/C ground to a relay triggered by the compressor. That way the EFI knows the added load is from the AC. It will then bump your idel up by 100 and trigger your E Fan if you have one. I really have no complaints about the system except the need for a $50 cable to download the MAP to my PC if I want to tweak certain perameters.

#19 ·
I put a sniper on my Dad's 62 Impala with a 327 4 speed. We had to change the secondary lever because it was really not drivable. As much as you tried to give it a small amount of throttle it would act like it was stuck and then it would release and you would immediately go to around 40% throttle. After changing it is fine. Still a little finicky though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.