3Likes
  • 3 Post By ZEN357

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 18, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Garage
Sniper Install Questions

I'm in the preliminary planning stages of doing a Sniper install on my 68 Camaro.
I picked up a TanksInc with internal walbro and plan to run the C5 FPR.
My car still has a 5/16" fuel line (been meaning to replace for a long time).
I'm planning to install a new 3/8" NiCopp line from back to front and make the flex connections with Goodridge 910 PTFE hose.
Since I have some flexibility it seems like maybe I should run the fuel line up the drivers side and leave the passenger side for battery cable routing when I finally get to moving the battery to the trunk.

A couple questions to start with:

1) Does anyone have pictures of where they mounted the C5 FPR on a 1st Gen?

2) Has anyone routed -6 up the drivers side? Any pics? Any issues with "room" near the drivers side firewall with brake lines, clutch linkage, etc?

Thanks!

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 18, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Sniper Install Questions

Just my thoughts:
NHRA requires fuel line(s) routed on the outside of frame rails in case of any 'explosions' within frame rails, line is protected.
I would mount regulator just before fuel rail/injectors.
Run a return line, same route, to a Moroso return line adapter fitting between fill tube and tank, makes it easier, unless sending unit has a return nipple.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 18, 05:35 PM
John

Garage

The Corvette regulator mounts just in front and above the fuel tank and you have a very short return line from there to the port on the walbro pump.

From there you run a single line to the throttlebody. On the sniper throttlebody and left it on the passenger side and then you would block the return side on the throttlebody

You can run it on the driver side but it will be a bit more challenging to ties into the throttlebody that is on the passenger side

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 03:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

I have heard that there is now a in-tank pump with a built-in FPR. Is this something worth looking into?

Brett.....

P.S; so after posting this I went on the Tanks inc website and it appears I heard incorrectly. I did not find a Walbro pump with attached FPR. I did find a "Tank access door" that installs in the trunk floor in order to access the tank from the top. Great idea!

B....

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Oct 25th, 18 at 03:44 AM. Reason: add
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 04:58 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
I have heard that there is now a in-tank pump with a built-in FPR. Is this something worth looking into?

Brett.....

P.S; so after posting this I went on the Tanks inc website and it appears I heard incorrectly. I did not find a Walbro pump with attached FPR. I did find a "Tank access door" that installs in the trunk floor in order to access the tank from the top. Great idea!

B....
Ricks restomod tanks use a 5th gen Camaro fuel pump module with integrated FPR. A great solution imho. Or you can add a Vaporworx fuel pump controller so your pump only runs as hard as it needs to and not wide open all the time.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 05:17 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post

Brett.....

B....
I looked at this access dor a while back.

2 things.

The floor of the 1st gen trunk is not flat. The fuel tank is tight against the bottom of the trunk.

If you cut the hole you can't screw it in because the screws will hit the tank. And it will not seat flat on the bottom of the trunk.

With a little R&D you could figure a way to make it work. I decided not to as it's easy to drop the tank. But an access door or panel would be nice.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 05:22 AM
Team Member
Don

I glue the access door to the floor with 3M 8115 panel adhesive. A few relief cuts and a little hammer and dolly work gets it sitting flat. A great addition, I use the DSE access panel in all my builds.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 05:32 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

This video may help answer some of your questions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=1mIhs4xahBY
dhutton, Vega$69 and Just 1 More like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 06:39 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
This video may help answer some of your questions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=1mIhs4xahBY
The video is good. If you donít want an external pump you can use the Tanks inc EFI fuel tank and in tank pump. The Corvette regulator/filter does the same thing as the Holley but only cost $35

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The Corvette regulator mounts just in front and above the fuel tank and you have a very short return line from there to the port on the walbro pump.

From there you run a single line to the throttlebody. On the sniper throttlebody and left it on the passenger side and then you would block the return side on the throttlebody

You can run it on the driver side but it will be a bit more challenging to ties into the throttlebody that is on the passenger side
Hi John
Thanks for the info. It sounds like youíve installed a few of these. From the video and what Iíve seen the return is at the rear on the left. Do you connect to the front right supply fitting in your installs? I was thinking about using the left rear.

Also any pics of your fpr mounted?

Thanks.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 09:48 AM
John

Garage

Sorry I had the inlets and outlets backwards

Looks like inlet on DS and return only on pass side

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Sorry I had the inlets and outlets backwards

Looks like inlet on DS and return only on pass side
With the DS connection. At the TB that’s why I was thinking running supply up the DS from the tank. I’m just a little worried about space under the Master cylinder and around throttle cable.
Maybe I’ll just use the PS front option location and feed from the rear and use a 180* fitting.

Steve

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Holley makes stainless steel gas tanks now for a range of models with all the provisions for the in tank fuel pump and sending unit, you could give them a call and see if they have what you're looking for, for your application.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech
jeff

Has anyone used this, Holley 255 LPH OEM Style EFI Fuel Tank Modules
1967-69 Camaro/Firebird/Nova $329.00 on Holleys web site?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 18, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I was wondering the same thing about the module. I used to do a lot of Drag racing, not much any more but I don't want to waste money and not get a reasonable solution. Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode