1Likes
  • 1 Post By eville

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randy

Garage
Fuel Line Choices

I am looking at all of the aftermarket choices for fuel line. I would like to spend my money wisely, so, I thought I would ask the group. The rubber line looks like the easiest to work with and the claim is it is resistant to ethanol fuel. The other end of the spectrum is the PTFE stuff which seems a bit more challenging and more expensive. I will have to run an supply and return line about 20 feet total plus a line to throttle body for a total of about 26 feet. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 06:02 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: Fuel Line Choices

I would not run that much hose. Use hardline with short pieces to interface to it. Nicopp bends easy.

I use Holley Vaporguard hose and AN fittings.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 07:33 PM
Tech Team
Chad

I bought the vaporguard kit from holley. it was easy to work with, came with all of the fittings, and I havent had any issues.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 09:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I used the PTFE cloth covered fuel line on my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	225465  

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 06:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

I did the same a Mr. Don. I ran 3/8" NiCopp line. I bought a 2 feet section of stainless steel braided, PTFE hose, Russell, part number 658520, to connect to the gas tank to the hard line and a 1 foot section for the engine side. Bending a long continuous hard line is difficult. I used two sections of hard line. I joined the two with a fuel filter between them. The cost of the AN fittings can add up quickly. I used coat hangers to practice and to see how it was going to look under the car.

Running the entire length with flexible line is a viable alternative. Many people do it. It is easy to thread the line through tight spaces. The hardest part is fastening the line to the car. Some people just use plastic wire ties. I don't recommend using plastic wire ties. The plastic deteriorates over time. Some flexible fuel hoses will allow gas vapor to permeate through the lining so the car will smell like gas. I think you know that Ethanol will destroy some types of flexible fuel lines. Manufacturers of PTFE hose claim that Ethanol will not harm the hose and it will not wick gas vapors.

The cost is about the same between flexible and hard line. Consider the cost of the tools to connect the fittings to the line and the cost of the fittings.

Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you car parts which is bout the same thang.
Patrick
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randy

Garage

I am liking the idea of running the Nickle Copper hard line with flexible TPFE line at tank connection and throttle body. When you transition from NiCopp to TPFE do you need to flare the hard line? Does the NiCopp cut easily, and with what tool?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 08:55 AM
John

Garage

I run nylon braided PTFE lines all the way and secure them with Kugel line clamps. AN fittings.

Nice and neat. Allows single line from tank to fuel rails or throttle body eliminating multiple connectors.

Single Line Clamps : Kugel Komponents, Quality Komponents Since 1969

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 09:54 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57s67RS/SS View Post
I am liking the idea of running the Nickle Copper hard line with flexible TPFE line at tank connection and throttle body. When you transition from NiCopp to TPFE do you need to flare the hard line? Does the NiCopp cut easily, and with what tool?
I use these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-AN-Male-t...UAAOSwZBRcFQvi

Nicopp cuts easy with a tubing cutter.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech
Josh

Garage

I went with the Holley vapor guard kit on my 68. Easy to work with and I secured the line about every 14-18" with clamps.

68 Z/28
383, M-20, 8.5 w/ 3.73's
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 03:32 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

NiCopp here, but I flare with a RIDGID 37 degree flaring tool and use tube nuts and sleeves
DT likes this.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode