Team Camaro Tech banner

MAP, MAT, MAP Vac

5K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Sixty8Camaro 
#1 ·
I'm very confused, have a young guy at work that seems to have a lot of knowledge about engines?

He is indicating that I only will want to use one of the three sensors?

The following are pictures of what I have:

A MAT Sensor that I have tapped a hole into my Air Intake Tube.

A MAP Sensor that I purchased an short adapter cable to connect to the Terminator X harness.

And finally the blue vacuum line coming off the back of the Terminator X box.

Before talking to him my expectation was that I was going to use both the MAP and MAT sensor and then disable the MAP Vacuum within the programming interface?

Any help with a better understanding of how these play together is greatly apprciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Stop listening to the guy at work. He doesn’t have any idea what he is talking about imho...

Don

Reactions: Vega$69
#4 ·
Thanks John & Don.

He is a pretty smart kid and when I showed him the pictures he agreed, I think yesterday he though I was describing some other type of sensor that runs off the intake tube?

#6 ·
The blue tube is an internal 1bar map sensor. You can either use that or use a gm 1 bar map sensor and plug into the harness.
term x uses 1 bar. I believe stock ls3 uses 2.5 bar

#7 ·
Google “mass air flow” and “speed density”. Your kid is probably up to speed with all the latest oem inj systems which are maf. The terminator x is speed density. Your kid is likely used to seeing a mass air flow sensor in the intake. A speed density setup doesnt have one. If my manifold had a place for the mat it would go in there.
the way i read the term x info is that if you are running NA they prefer you use the vac line, but you dont have to. If you are running boost you must use a sensor.

#9 ·
What I have connected is a MAT sensor in the intake tube.

And a 1 bar MAP sensor

I don’t have the blue vacuum connected to anything. I have been drIrving it for the last week and seems to be running amazingly.

It purrs smoothly at idle and roars when I put my foot in it, which seems to be often.

#11 ·

Price went up a lot in a year?

I thought what I paid was too much.

Crap, looking at that picture just realized I did not install that rubber hose. Where should that have been connected to?

#15 ·
Ya... that sounds like something I neglected to do :(

Surprised I have not had any issues? Seems to be running really good with no obvious issues.

Driving it this last week what would have that cap off had done? (I hate be a novice)

#17 ·
I'm a noob at LS engines too so I'm trying to learn how to correctly set up the pcv. In that link you posted it talks about the system needing to be closed, not vented to atmosphere, which is consistent with what I've read on other sources. Yours may very well be fine with the PS capped. Do you have a DS valve cover and/or valley cover connection to the intake for pcv? You definitely need something to vent the crankcase to the manifold.

#18 ·
If I had a memory I would be dangerous :)

The topic of the this hose was already discussed to great lengths in a post I submitted over a year ago :)

LS3 Port Identification

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.