EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

1Likes
  • 1 Post By champ210

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jim

How To Pick A TBI-EFI System

I am thinking of replacing the carb in my 69 with one of the TBI EFI systems but don't have a clue how to choose one.

The Car
327 .03 over bore
Motown single plane intake
Dart aluminum performance heads
Lunati street/strip hydraulic roller cam
MSD pro billet dizzy and 6AL with 7200 pill
Hooker comp headers & Flowmaster duals
700R4 with shift kit
Moser 12 bolt rear with 4.11 Eaton Possi
Pushing 475 at the crank

Goals
Better gas millage
Increased HP
Better street manners
Able to compete at the strip once or twice a month
Easy cool weather starts
Better throttle response
Self learning
No need to change intake, heads, cam, etc.
Easy for a someone with no EFI experience to install

I don't want to spend my life savings on it. What fuel tank and pump should I be looking at or do the manufacturers offer a recommended tank and pump? How long does the install take? Do you need any specialty tools? Any other advice?

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
'68 Mustang GT/CS - Pretty Pony"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 06:12 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

Re: How To Pick A TBI-EFI System

Give efisystempro a call - good prices and GREAT support. Holly support sucks so buying from Summit/Jegs doesn't have any value add like the support from efisystempro.com.
The Holly Sniper is a great system. I'm running the full Sniper setup with ignition and timing control but you don't have too if you want to keep your ignition components in place.
Mileage improvement should never be a reason for a switch to EFI nor should HP gains - assuming your carb is dialed in pretty good. Most comparison tests show a carb making more HP actually - small but still more.
Now...if your carb is way out of tune and your timing is a mess then you will see both mileage & HP increases. Drivability, throttle response, cold starts are all great reasons to switch to EFI.
I like an external pump for easy access.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 07:01 AM
Apprentice
wade

I'm looking at sniper efi #550-511 with there in tank pump #12-300 as my 1st choice. This pump utilizes the stock tank. I really don't see a easier or cheaper option. Only other one I'm considering is the fitech and use a tanks inc efi tank #32B-T with there in tank pump #GPA-4 with a TAN-GML sender. I'm sure others will chime in.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I do not have an EFI on my car, but have considered one and clearly I'm no expert on this topic. However, I've read that some of these systems don't seem to work as well as they otherwise might if your engine produces very low vacuum so this is an aspect of EFI operation you may need to check into before buying. Maybe others on this site with actual experience with EFI can provide some feedback on how vacuum affects EFI as I could be way off base and vacuum levels don't matter.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 07:35 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim69 View Post
I am thinking of replacing the carb in my 69 with one of the TBI EFI systems but don't have a clue how to choose one.

The Car
327 .03 over bore
Motown single plane intake
Dart aluminum performance heads
Lunati street/strip hydraulic roller cam
MSD pro billet dizzy and 6AL with 7200 pill
Hooker comp headers & Flowmaster duals
700R4 with shift kit
Moser 12 bolt rear with 4.11 Eaton Possi
Pushing 475 at the crank

Goals
Better gas millage
Increased HP
Better street manners
Able to compete at the strip once or twice a month
Easy cool weather starts
Better throttle response
Self learning
No need to change intake, heads, cam, etc.
Easy for a someone with no EFI experience to install

I don't want to spend my life savings on it. What fuel tank and pump should I be looking at or do the manufacturers offer a recommended tank and pump? How long does the install take? Do you need any specialty tools? Any other advice?
I donít think EFI will improve your street manners, that is generally due to the cam selection etc in my experience. As above, make sure you are producing sufficient vacuum for a bolt on EFI....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Wiley E. Coyote

agree...get a vacuum reading before doign anything
Youre gonna spend a couple grand minimum then spend time sorting stuff out

May as well get a real good tune and leave it be unless youre proficient with these things yourself
Too many take these off and put a carb back on

good example of (assuming) cam not liking the system...this would make me wanna sell it too
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jim

Vacuum may be an issue. To prevent having a brick for a brake pedal at idle I had to add a vacuum assist system.

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 19, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

I installed a Super Sniper on my blow thru combo and couldn't be happier. The advice to buy from efisystemspro is excellent as well. I bought mine from Steve Morris because I wanted a boosted base tune from him. They are good as well.

A few caveats though. I think you really need to love tinkering and love learning new things. That way when you hit bumps in the road (you will) it is more of an exciting challenge than something to beat your head against a wall with. I love to learn new stuff and boy did I learn a ton with this project. You have to be patient as well. I had to wire it up twice pretty much because of my poor wiring skills.

The Sniper will work well pretty much no matter what the vacuum is so don't worry too much about that.

You really have to read more than the instructions. You have to follow them to the letter, but in terms of overall wiring you will need to watch some of their videos and other youtubers.

I recommend getting as complete a system as you can. Yes you can use your Pro Billet and CD box, but mag distributors are more prone to RFI/EFI which can be very tricky with the Sniper. I removed a perfectly good MSD 6AL programmable simply because I wanted the security of going with the full Hyperspark system with a HAL affect dizzy, coil and CD box. It is all plug and play.

Drivability will improve guaranteed! Yes a perfectly tuned carb can be great, but 95%+ of carbs are not perfectly tuned. How many of us have drilled out restrictors and changed high and low speed air bleeds? On a cold day I can reach my arm through the window to crank it and walk away. No more feathering the throttle to keep it running. No more garage smelling like fuel. It is awesome. Want to try more timing at the track? 45 seconds on the laptop. Want to adjust the timing curve precisely at 100 RPM intervals? Laptop. Want to adjust the idle or cruise AFR? 45 seconds on the laptop.

If you are a data junkie you will love the logging. You can log everything and they have an excellent interface for reviewing them. You can download the Sniper software off of their website and play with it. I can send you some logs to look at if you want.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jim

I spoke with the Holley tech. He said a vacuum reading of 7 will make the Sniper happy so I'm good. He also pointed me to a master kit which includes everything including an external fuel pump. The external pump makes sense for me since my gas tank is only a couple of years old. I will be telling Santa to leave a 550-511K under the tree this Christmas. I look forward to getting and installing a Sniper. BTW question for those that have a Sniper: Where/how did you mount the touch screen or did you hide it someplace out of sight?

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 01:18 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim69 View Post
BTW question for those that have a Sniper: Where/how did you mount the touch screen or did you hide it someplace out of sight?
I used a Nato magnetic mount (brand doesn't matter) and mounted it to my windshield so that I can see the touch screen on my left above the dash right by the pillar.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

I made a little bracket that I can attach it to the steering column at 12:00.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode