Team Camaro Tech banner

My Holley Sniper EFI and Fuel pump Install

17K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  ME4NSTRK69 
#1 · (Edited)
1969 Camaro 375 Horsepower 70 4 bolt main

Just wanted to share my experience and total cost for my Holley Sniper install.

-Drilled a hole in the exhaust 6 inches from the merge of my headers and used the supplied clamp to install the 02 sensor
make sure this is done as Holley describes on a between 10 and 12 o'clock angle to avoid moisture settling and shorting out the sensor ( I learned this the hard way)
Get a bung for your 02 sensor welded in ASAP as per Holley the band clamp is to get the car going and not a permanent fix. When I took my clamp off there was a lot of carbon that got past the clamp. The extra air getting out will effect your car **

-Dropped the tank using a jack and a block of wood and some towels. ( empty tank is much easier to deal with learned this the hard way )

-Installed the fuel pump, make sure the locking ring is tight and the rubber gasket is seated right.

-Cut up and used a 3/8 fuel hose to protect the fuel pump hardline where the straps go over it and where it gets close to the tank.

-Drilled a hole above the fuel neck in the trunk and ran the fuel pump harness through

-Ran the 2 ground wires to a spot on the rear of the trunk grinded all the paint off first ( don't need to run the wire up to the battery negative of you are using the Sniper efi)

-Soldered in the brown wire to the purple wire which is the gas gauge

-Removed the back seat and passenger seat

-Took off the door sill

-Removed the plastic pieces by the kick panel

-Drilled a hole in firewall

-Ran the blue wire from the fuel pump relay through the hole using a grommet to protect the wires

-Also ran the pink wire from the sniper harness and tuning screen wire through the hole and hooked it up to a blade in the fuse box

-Unscrewed the screws that holds the sheet metal in place over the factory channels by the door sill and ran the blue fuel pump relay wire through there

-Soldered the grey wire from the fuel pump to the blue wire used a wire loom to clean up the wires

-Re installed the tank again using a jack and block of wood so I didn't damage or dent the tank.

-Ran the fuel line from the fuel pump to the factory hard line.

-Removed the mechanical fuel pump 2 bolts to hold the pump 2 bolts to remove the plate. ( once the plate was out removed the rod )

-Put the block out plate on and gasket used some gasket sealer as well

-Mounted the fuel pump relay on the fire wall by battery

-Ran the negative and positive to the battery

-Ran the yellow wire to the negative on the coil

-Mounted the Sniper used a 1/2 spacer hooked up the linkage needed a atp trans detent cable end

-Connected the fuel line from the factory hardline

-Installed the fuel filter then ran the line to the Sniper

-Installed the new thermostat housing and temp sensor

-Jacked car up and drilled hole for the oxygen sensor installed and plugged it in.

Started it and went through the steps on the screen.

Runs awesome starts right up. More responsive and the car feels a lot faster. Gas gauge took a minute to work but it works perfect

Think that's about it

Was a pretty easy install

Holey Tech was awesome as well

I def suggest it

Also I ordered through Holley and they took a few $ off the price I only listed the reg prices here

Parts list: total cost was aprrox 1600$

-90 degree 6an fitting and cap

-Holley Sniper EFI $999

Holley Sniper EFI 550-511 Holley Sniper EFI Self-Tuning Kit - Black

-Holley sniper fuel pump module $349

Holley Sniper EFI 12-300 Holley EFI Fuel Tank Modules - 255 LPH - Camaro, Firebird & Nova

-6 feet 100 psi hose and 5 fittings $45

-New tank $140 ( your stock tank is fine )

-Thermostat housing/with oxygen sensor 16$

https://www.holley.com/products/cool...0- Non-Brand

-1/2 inch bushing ( local parts store ) $5

-anti squeak kit $20

-Carb Stud kit $4

-Autozone part #yr100 trans detent cable end $3

-Wix fuel filter #33482 (84 vette)

-fuel pump block off plate $9.99 got 2 shorter bolts for top 2 bolts local hardware store $3

-Replacement 02 sensor Bosch 17025 ( buy from a reputable parts store not eBay or amazon , again I learned this the hard way )

Mr. Gasket 1515 Mr. Gasket Fuel Pump Block Off Plate -Chrome

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mike...

Although this is down the list of things to do, its nice to see a positive report on an EFI install. I picked up a FiTech 600 unit used and just put it on the shelf in the box. Down the road I will more than likely use the Holley in tank system you used, definitely not the underhood FiTech unit. If you have additional pix of the installation of the in-tank unit, could you post them up? Also include some pix from underneath after the tank was back in place? About where did you locate the bung and are you happy with a bolt-on one vs a welded on setup?

I see you have AC, so I'm curious if you also have eFans and if the Sniper is controlling the eFans to work with the AC. Did you run a return line from the Sniper back to the tank?

Mike

#3 · (Edited)
I don’t have electric fans yet,
The Holley sniper module doesn’t use a return line, so I didn’t run one. We put the bung about 7 inches past the collector from the header, so far so good. I’ll take a few pics when I get some time no problem. The in tank unit goes in just like a regular sending unit would except you have to unscrew the float to fit it in then re screw it together. Holley instructions are very good

I used 2 pieces of 3/8s hose that I cut to protect the fuel pump hardline where it is close to the tank and also where the mounting strap goes over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I have also experienced greats results with several Sniper Systems I’ve install. I’ve use the Corvette Filter/Regulator with return lines. Same as the Holley module it regulates fuel pressure on the supply side of the TB.

I sometimes think a lot of issues people experience is due in part to overthinking and not carefully following the install and set up protocols.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks,

2 3/8s Holes one on the fire wall and one in the trunk by the gas neck for the fuel pump harness. Charging system is fine so far. Stock style alternator

here are some pics to show what We did, also shows where We mounted the fuse and the fuel pump relay., right behind the battery on the fender well

Best of luck on your install

Attachments

#22 ·
No I just got the tank in yesterday and I got side tracked with the sending unit clearance. I need finish the fuel system and wire up the pump then I should be all set. It sounds like yours is running good hopefully the fuel pump doesn’t become an issue. Thanks for your help.

#24 ·
Did You have any issues getting the rear rubber line to seal tightly against the metal lines? I Tested the pump and had a hard time getting in not to leak. I haven’t had a chance too drive it yet because I need to set up my electric fan and double check everything. Did end up doing any tuning after driving it awhile? So far I’m impressed with it.

#25 ·
I have an aftermarket tank and I did find the fit to be less snug than the stock tanks unit. I tested the car and ran it hard. Had gas leak out the back where the module is. I figured I had to drop it and adjust it. Anyway Figured id run the gas down in the tank. Drove it and drove it hard a lot and its dry as a bone. I don't understand why but theres no leak anymore. Been out with the car a lot since the world shut down up here and still dry.

#26 ·
Hi did you have any problems getting the rear fuel line to seal at the sending unit and steal line? Mine was leaking at the clamps even after tightening and adjusting everything to make sure it was solid. I finally got it to stop. Also I thought you said it took awhile for the fuel gauge to work? I’m not sure how accurate mine is.

#27 ·
I think the reason for fuel leaking at the pump outlet line is because it is for a 5/16" hose, not a 3/8". Yesterday, when I went to put my Earls EFI 3/8" hose on the metal outlet, it just fell on! I was like; "oh oh, somethings wrong". I went onto the Holley website and looked at the specs and sure enough, it states 5/16. I don't know why they made it for a 5/16 hose. Holley needs to correct it for a 3/8" hose. What I did do, was push the hose all the way down to where the hard line opens up the the larger diameter and clamped it onto that. Don't know if that will do the trick, but we will see.

Brett.....

#29 ·
I m not sure if the gauge is working yet but l’ll have to wait and see. The fuel pressure gauge is leaking and will probably get removed. The clamp on oxygen sensor is also leaking and won’t tighten anymore. I think I need 2 gaskets or shorten the bracket slightly. I’m glad most people are having good luck and will be happy with it once I get too just drive it. So far I like it. Just need to sort out the bugs.

#35 ·
Big fan of my Super Sniper. Glad you had luck wiring the trigger wires to the fuse box Mike. I had a ton of EMI with that set up so I moved it to a relay and all is well.

Reactions: ME4NSTRK69
#36 ·
Recent issue with my set up. My car was starving for fuel and breaking up bad. AFR was 32-34. After some research I replaced the o2 sensor. Bosch part number 17025 it's the same as the holley part and I found it on ebay for 35$ shipped the holley and local parts stores wanted 140$
Car runs fine again. A tip I was told is to turn the key and not start let it sit a minute then crank it. It heats up the sensor and get some of the moisture to burn off. Hopefully this one lasts awhile.

#40 ·
Hopefully you have the O2 issue worked out. As ilikeike alluded to, proper O2 sensor placement (and using a welded bung) is huge. OEM's spend a lot of time finding the right spot on new vehicles. Also, and not to be a ball buster, that's not going to be a genuine Bosch for $40. I've gone through that, real ones are $90+ at Amazon, and higher at your parts store. Nice looking project you have, good luck to ya.

#42 · (Edited)
First post Updated :
Have had some issues with 02 sensors and pretty much my own fault .
A few things I learned the hard way .....
-When Installing I didn't put my 02 sensor on an angle in my exhaust. This caused condensation to build up and short out the sensor. The angle now will allow the moisture to run off the sensor. (GET IT WELDED IN Air was getting past the band clamp)
-Also buy a replacement sensor from a reputable parts store. The ones you may find on eBay or amazon can look like genuine Bosch but may not be. You get what you pay for. Being on a budget I tried to save a few dollars this way and it ended up costing me more.

Im enjoying the performance of the set up very much and I've learned a lot.
Hopefully this thread can be a help.

My buddy is going to custom tune it soon...