Team Camaro Tech banner

Roller Rockers

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  SEK Z28 
#1 ·
Has anyone put roller rockers on under the STOCK chrome script valve covers? I want to put rollers on - but want the regular '67 SS valve covers to remain.

I've talked with some corvette folks that have had trouble - but this was with late 70's vette's -

What is the consensus for 1st gen's?

Steve

#2 ·
Steve,

It depends on the type/brand of roller rocker. Some will clear but most will hit the internal baffles in the valve covers or the Rocker arm nuts (POLY LOCKS) will hit the inside. If you use a roller tip rocker like the comp cams version you should be o.k., I have not seen any problems or you could get spacers to put between the valve cover and the head for added clearance and they are barely noticable. If you use roller rockers make sure that you have guide plates installed or that the pushrod holes in the heads a narrow enough to keep the pushrods from moveing the rocker arm off the valve tips.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

#3 ·
I don't think that a fully roller rocker will fit. You can either get taller valve covers, but you say that you want to keep the stockers. What you can do is get a set of roller tip rockers. They offer more performance than stock rockers and they will have no problem fitting.

------------------
One Fine '83

#4 ·
A friend of mine fit the Norris stainless type full roller rockers in his 69 Z/28 but had to space up the aluminum valve cover to clear the polly locks. Either double gaskets, the thick spacer gaskets, or you can buy an aluminum spacer to do it.

That should work on your stamped valve covers too.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

#7 ·
I have a set of the Crane Pro-magnum roller tip rockers. They fit under my original chrome valve covers for my '68 Z/28. The baffles for the PCV and air cleaner return had to be slightly "massaged" (narrowed)to fit between the rockers, they are a bit wider at the pivot than the stock rocker arms. Height was not a problem.

idoxlr8 has a good point about the guide plate and pushrod holes, they will probably need to be enlarged slightly. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.