blower scoop - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

blower scoop

Dual 850 dp,s atop a weiand 8-71 with a 4" cowl hood.Enderle style,Hilborn?I am concerned with intake restriction and the small air filters that fit in these type scoops.Any suggestions for looks vs hp loss?

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: blower scoop

George,
I can't answer your question in regards to the air filters in the blower scoop but a couple of guys here can. rat3j396 Jerry has a blown 427

prostreet69camaro
Mike has a blown 502

Either of them should be able to answer your question. BTW,do you have any pics of your ride? We sure would like to see it!!!!!

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 07:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I dont run air cleaners in my scoop. I tried it a couple of times and it made the motor run richer and I did not want to start messing with the jets. It took me a while to get it dialed in.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

David..I must say that is one fine pro street 69.
My 68 should be up and running in 30 days.I am close to finishing and getting some thoughts and suggestions from the Pro Street crowd.By all means..I will post some pics when I figure out how.I can boost referance carbs and correct rocker geometry..but my fat old fingers turn on and off several features with a digital camera.lol.Aside from the hp loss.what do you think about blower scoops.Some say the enderle style is plain wrong unless fuel injected(looks like ET from the movie).The Hilborn is classic,I like them both.As you can imagine..I did not opt for dual 850,s just to choke off the 8-71 with restrctive filters.Just to add,this pro street forumn is long overdue.Big engines and steam rollers never go out of style imho.

George
68 Camaro
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I dont run air cleaners in my scoop. I tried it a couple of times and it made the motor run richer and I did not want to start messing with the jets. It took me a while to get it dialed in.
I sometimes get into dusty conditions in my commute.Always seems to be some type of road construction going on with concrete saws billowing concrete dust.I can not see how this would benefit my rotor to case clearances.That shotgun scoop is a mean look for sure...but i will filter the air on the street.The rotors and case are not hard anodized...just a out of the box Weiand 8-71.

George
68 Camaro
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

I've had this motor in another pro-street Camaro (1981) and a '69 Chevelle. It has a 671 Weiand and 2 Holley 750 DP. I use two 6 inch x 2 inch high ( i think) round filters. I've never had a problem. However, I've also had a 6000 RPM pill in the MSD at all times. I've used the "paper' filters, but K & N makes filters that size, I believe. That should improve air flow.

Jerry

67 RS coupe, Black
68 Pro street Torch Red, blown 427

Last edited by rat3j396; Apr 22nd, 08 at 10:11 PM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 02:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I'm having the same problem just hight of hood clearence I can only get a 14x2 filter and my buddy says a 14x3 would be better and I'm only at 500hp.Another words I'm no help either.Sorry

PRO.ST69orange

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech
Jerry

If the filters can't handle the cfm, they will probably collapse from the vacuum. The screen type gasket between the blower casing and the carb mounting plate provides extra insurance from objects being sucked down into the motor. I have a friend who left the foam cover in a dragster scoop (fiberglass) once, and the vacuum created collapsed the scoop. And that was on a naturally aspirated motor.

...as for the Shotgun scoops...
ET?! I was thinking they looked more like "ALIEN"

I had the older style but opted for this style...just like anything on a custom car...it's about what YOU like, not so much what others think.

Good luck with your car George, can't wait to see it!

Jerry

67 RS coupe, Black
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 01:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

George,
Speedway Motors sells the shotgun scoop. They sell them polished or unpolished / blemished. I would not buy the polished one because it still has blemishes and when you polish it you will not be happy. I bought the blemished one and had it chromed.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
David..I must say that is one fine pro street 69.
My 68 should be up and running in 30 days.I am close to finishing and getting some thoughts and suggestions from the Pro Street crowd.By all means..I will post some pics when I figure out how.I can boost referance carbs and correct rocker geometry..but my fat old fingers turn on and off several features with a digital camera.lol.Aside from the hp loss.what do you think about blower scoops.Some say the enderle style is plain wrong unless fuel injected(looks like ET from the movie).The Hilborn is classic,I like them both.As you can imagine..I did not opt for dual 850,s just to choke off the 8-71 with restrctive filters.Just to add,this pro street forumn is long overdue.Big engines and steam rollers never go out of style imho.
Thanks for the compliment George. As for my preference on a blower scoop,the Hilborn looks better to me than that scoop that Mr. Gasket sells that "looks" like an Enderle injector hat. I just about puke when someone pulls up next to me in their "beater" and the first thing you notice about their car is that thing that they had to cut a hole in their hood just to put it on and the linkage to open the butterflies isn't even hooked up.Now if we're talking fuel injection,the "bug" or "bird catcher" is the only way to roll.About posting pictures,you are welcome to contact me via a PM(private message) and you either send them to me that way or I can give you my email address to send them to me.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Thanks guys.First off,i would like to say how impressed i am with the qaulity and workmanship that shows in your builds..
FWIW..I am leaning towards the Hilborn style and thanks jerry,I will fill it with [email protected],s and wartch for collapse.
Mike..is that a 6" cowl hood?Mine is a 4".Curious if my upper pulley will be exposed.
Thanks David for the offer to post pics.If my dumba$$ can not figure out how to post pics..I will hire the 3rd grader next door..or take you up on the offer..
Can i pick your brains?This may belong in performance or engine,but I am looking for a baseline start up with the Holleys.
I purchased 2 850 dp,s new out the box.They are fitted with #80 main jets front and rear and no numbers on the pv,s front and rear.My Holley referance book state they are 6.5,s.I will test them with a vac gauge to be certain.
I plan on blocking off the secondary pv and upping to #88,s.I plan on leaning out the primary to #78 and keeping the primary 6.5 pv.I blocked off the vac source in the main body for both pv chamber and port vacuum.
I drilled on an angle into the pv chamber and will use the ported vac nipple and source it under the blower.
The carbs have 4 corner idle mixture screws..will this set up ballpark me until I can get some running vac/boost #,s?The .030 over 460 will have around 7.5/1 static..cam will be dual pattern with mid .500 lift and 240ish @.050 with a 114 lsa.heads flow I350/E275cfm @.600" lift.I will test fire and break in n/a,then install the 8-71 12% underdriven and tune from there.Am i close with the carbs for baseline??

George
68 Camaro
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

George,

I joined this forum a short time ago, and these guys are VERY skilled and knowledgeable, not to mention helpful!

Here are some pics with a 4" cowl hood with a 671. The members of the forum even gave me guidance on how to measure and cut it! As you will see, I opted to cut the hole a bit close, which causes me to remove the scoop before opening the hood. A body shop had cut the hood on my Chevelle like this a while back, and I just liked the look. I may end up trimming the rear of the opening a bit, but hopefully this will give you a general idea of what to expect. If you're racing, it may be a bit of a hassle.

You can get by with not cutting for the pulleys if you like. You can use smaller diameter pulleys and still maintain underdrive/overdrive ratios. There is a grid in the back of the Holley/Weiand catalog, or I believe it is available online on their website tech area. My blower uses the 1/2 pitch pulleys. I have a '34' on top, and the hood clears it. The 871 may be longer, which may make this info irrelevant, so i apologize if that is the case.

I wish I would have spoken with Mike earlier about the scoop. You can see how much better his looks chromed versus the polished one I have.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camaro hole in hood 001.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	6349   Click image for larger version

Name:	camaro hole in hood 002.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	6350   Click image for larger version

Name:	camaro hole in hood 003.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	6351  

Jerry

67 RS coupe, Black
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 07:28 PM
Senior Tech
David

George,
Since I don't have a big ol' blower on my car I can't help you with your tuning issue but I know either Jerry or Mike will know how to help you . Kinda wish now that I had put a blower on my car.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Thank you for the pics Jerry.It helps me visualize.My 8-71 uses the 8mm belt and a 61 upper/54 lower for now..i was looking at Mikes side views of his pro street and it appears to be a 6 inch cowl..maybe a 4".Hopefully Mike chimes back in.I would like the upper pulley exposed on this little street deal only.A little bit of show.a little bit of go.Nothing fancy..just an honest 700 hp blown big block in a first gen..

George
68 Camaro
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 07:55 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

David, your '69 is Badass just like it is!

Jerry

67 RS coupe, Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode