signature engine - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old May 13th, 08, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

signature engine

lmaorof guys.I changed my signature to show 461 cid.I was able to round up the number to 461 with the plate honed 4.2805 bore x 4" stroke.
That 460 F#rd displacement has been bugging me.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old May 13th, 08, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: signature engine

Congrats to you fatblock

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old May 13th, 08, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Thanks David.I am close to start up.I think the spending is done.Got my Milidon oiling today and Crane is spinning up some .135 wall custom lenghth 3/8ths pushrods.BDS is supplying the side mount carb plumbing and weiand just shipped me the hyme joint dual quad linkage.lol,I am doing my best to stimulate the economy,the Prez would be proud of me.

George
68 Camaro

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old May 13th, 08, 08:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

George,

Have fun setting up that dual quad linkage. It is real fun.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote.........

Yesterday, 09:42 PM
fatblock
Senior Tech

Thanks David.I am close to start up.I think the spending is done.

George,I thought that very same thing,then I had a roller cam and complete rebuild performed on my BBC which necessitated a torque converter change.......cha-ching,cha-ching went the cash register at the The Performance Clinic, but now I've got a very "healthy" Rat under the hood of my Camaro!!

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Duly noted Mike.I will take my time with the linkage.I triple check everything for an immediate start up.I am off to Vancouver BC in the am for a wedding,so the project is stalled out until monday on my return.Hopefully the pushrods will be in hand.I have everything else to fully assemble and install.

George
68 Camaro
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
Quote.........

fatblock
Senior Tech

George,I thought that very same thing,then I had a roller cam and complete rebuild performed on my BBC which necessitated a torque converter change.......cha-ching,cha-ching went the cash register at the The Performance Clinic, but now I've got a very "healthy" Rat under the hood of my Camaro!!
You know David..I have put some thought into the converter.I had a new Hughes 10" 3500 behind the n/a 427.I traded even with my boss for his 10" Yank @ 2800.I am figuring the extra cubes and the 8-71 will like the tighter converter in this little street deal.The Crower flat tappet mechanical is mild at .529/.544 lift.246/254 @ .050",114 lsa.I will fire up 11% under for safety and pulley up as reqd/needed.

George
68 Camaro
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
You know David..I have put some thought into the converter.I had a new Hughes 10" 3500 behind the n/a 427.I traded even with my boss for his 10" Yank @ 2800.I am figuring the extra cubes and the 8-71 will like the tighter converter in this little street deal.The Crower flat tappet mechanical is mild at .529/.544 lift.246/254 @ .050",114 lsa.I will fire up 11% under for safety and pulley up as reqd/needed.
George,
Keep us posted when you fire up that blown rat. I bet it's gonna be nice

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old May 14th, 08, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
George,
Keep us posted when you fire up that blown rat. I bet it's gonna be nice
I look forward to sharing the combo and the results with you guys.I have already prepped the neighbors for the initial fire/break in period and they all opt to move the kiddys and small pets indoors.

George
68 Camaro
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old May 15th, 08, 07:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

George,

I called Coan and talked to them about a convertor. I am running a 2500 stall. I also replaced the R&P to a 389. I had a 513 gear in it with my small block. Now I can cruise on the interstate a 3000 rpm @ 75/80 mph. Before I was going about 60/65 mph. I also have a 33 inch tall rear tire.

The convetor was $877.50

I had a 3500 ATI convertor ( $350.00 ) behind the 406 but after talking to Coan and a few friends with blower motors I went with the Coan convertor. I believe the ATI would not of lasted behind the torque of a blower motor.

Mike

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old May 15th, 08, 07:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Quote.........

fatblock
Senior Tech

David,

Have you installed your motor and is it running.

Mike

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old May 15th, 08, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
David,

Have you installed your motor and is it running.
Mike,
It has been ran on the dyno. The dyno pulls were recorded by the "Clinic" and will be given to me on a CD.I have not seen the engine yet,it's in OH. I will be going to OH. Memorial Day weekend for the install. The "Clinic" faxed a copy of the dyno results to Coan and they custom built a converter to maximize the engine's horsepower and torque.I've never had a BBC with as much HP as this one has now but I know it's gonna be a different "animal"

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
I look forward to sharing the combo and the results with you guys.I have already prepped the neighbors for the initial fire/break in period and they all opt to move the kiddys and small pets indoors.
George,
Any update on the blower install?

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Hey David.I did send some pics over to you to post for me like you offered.I probably screwed up,not very puter savvy.Alls well..got the geometry correct with the Trend 3/8ths .135 wall pushrods.Had a minor hiccup that slowed me down.The Patriot 2211 heads require longer than stock bolts over the raised by .400" exhaust port.Got that sqaured away and the long block is installed.Primed the engine with a 1/2 inch drill and got 70 psi and oil dripping off all rockers after 360* rotation.Installed the blower manifold,dropped the 8-71 atop and installed the dual qaud carb adapter.That is where I stalled out to date.My 850 dp,s have provision for a detent cable that places the lower portion of the linkage to low to clear the carb adapter.It is easy to correct with a cut off wheel..and am trying to visualize how to get the correct geometry for my 700r4 detent cable below the blower utilizing the weiand side mount carb linkage.

George
68 Camaro
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old May 29th, 08, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech
David

George,
Here are the progress pics that you sent for me to post........

Lookin' good George!!

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode