sneaking up on the tune up - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 08, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

sneaking up on the tune up

Still working out the bugs as expected with the blown unit.In the market for better fans that flow more cfm than my current flexalite pancakes(2400 cfm).Coolant temp never exceeds 210*..but will fail in parade traffic for sure.Total timing is still an issue with the stop bushing selection from msd.The engine like 20 initial..but the black bushing puts me at 38 total.I have not loaded the engine..only have 10 miles of light throttle on her.my real issue is the off idle lean out that will open up the pop off valve.I currently have the .031 straight shooters in the 850 dp.s with 30 cc pumps.Before I go with cams and 50 cc reo,s..I am thinking upping the shooter by .005" to a .036".Sound reasonable?Once I transition into the main ckt..all hell breaks loose.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 08, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: sneaking up on the tune up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
Still working out the bugs as expected with the blown unit.In the market for better fans that flow more cfm than my current flexalite pancakes(2400 cfm).Coolant temp never exceeds 210*..but will fail in parade traffic for sure.Total timing is still an issue with the stop bushing selection from msd.The engine like 20 initial..but the black bushing puts me at 38 total.I have not loaded the engine..only have 10 miles of light throttle on her.my real issue is the off idle lean out that will open up the pop off valve.I currently have the .031 straight shooters in the 850 dp.s with 30 cc pumps.Before I go with cams and 50 cc reo,s..I am thinking upping the shooter by .005" to a .036".Sound reasonable?Once I transition into the main ckt..all hell breaks loose.

George,
I wish I knew anything about blowers so I could at least attempt to help with your tuning issues!! Maybe Mike(prostreet69camaro) will see your thread and respond with the fix.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 08, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Thanks David.It is definetly a lean out off idle.I am creeping up on it slowly and not causing any engine damage with light loads.My biggest issue is the lack of speed shops in my area.Every gosh darn thing I want to try requires mail order and down time + shipping.Go figure eh..residing in the Motor city and can not even rustle up a set of Holley discharge nozzles with out a phone and a credit card.

George
68 Camaro

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 08, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Thanks David.It is definetly a lean out off idle.I am creeping up on it slowly and not causing any engine damage with light loads.My biggest issue is the lack of speed shops in my area.Every gosh darn thing I want to try requires mail order and down time + shipping.Go figure eh..residing in the Motor city and can not even rustle up a set of Holley discharge nozzles with out a phone and a credit card.
I hear ya' George and understand the issue about the lack of speed shops in the area. I don't even have a decent machine shop within 100 miles that I would trust to do any work for me. That's why my engine went to Dayton,Ohio as I have a friend there and after a visit to the machine shop that built his naturally aspirated 555 with almost 1,000 hp at the flexplate,I knew that's where my engine would go for all of the upgrades that I had planned for it. I am very pleased with the results as you already know.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 08, 06:05 AM
Tech Team
Mike

You have two good shops in your area (maybe more) Dynamic Speed & Marine in Chesterfield and Performance Warehouse in Garden City. Both are just slightly outside of Detroit and have been around for a long time.
You can't go wrong with either of them. If more people would support their local guys instead of buying mail order then there would more local guys to choose from. It is very difficult to run a small shop in todays performance world.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 08, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotion View Post
You have two good shops in your area (maybe more) Dynamic Speed & Marine in Chesterfield and Performance Warehouse in Garden City. Both are just slightly outside of Detroit and have been around for a long time.
You can't go wrong with either of them. If more people would support their local guys instead of buying mail order then there would more local guys to choose from. It is very difficult to run a small shop in todays performance world.
thanks mike.I will check them out for parts.I also like to support the little shops locally.

George
68 Camaro
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 08, 07:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

George,

What do you mean by blowing off the pop off valve. Are you talking about the valve on the back of blower when it has to much pressure it pops off ? All you are doing is reving the motor and the pop off valves goes off. I had a fuel regulator problem when I first got my motor going. I called Al at www.bigalstoybox.com and he was very helpful. I thought I had a gasket leaking on the back of my blower because it looked like gear oil on the intake and he told me it was fuel. He told me to fix my fuel problem that I did not have a leak. He is a nice guy and works on these blower motors all day long. Give him a call and if he suggest something then buy it from him. That is what I did.

Mike

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
George,

What do you mean by blowing off the pop off valve. Are you talking about the valve on the back of blower when it has to much pressure it pops off ? All you are doing is reving the motor and the pop off valves goes off. I had a fuel regulator problem when I first got my motor going. I called Al at www.bigalstoybox.com and he was very helpful. I thought I had a gasket leaking on the back of my blower because it looked like gear oil on the intake and he told me it was fuel. He told me to fix my fuel problem that I did not have a leak. He is a nice guy and works on these blower motors all day long. Give him a call and if he suggest something then buy it from him. That is what I did.

Mike
Mike
Thanks..I saved the link to bigals in my favourites.No fluid leaks anywhere now that i got rid of the felpro 1884r 1 piece oil pan gasket.It split under the chain cover so i went back to the cork and rubber setup and dry as a bone.The blower sneezes thru the pop off valve in the back of the blower manifold in gear only..not free revving the engine in park.Idle the engine up to 5mph and then tap the throttle brings on the sneeze.I just now finished upping my primary pump squirters from .031" to .037".Will test this mod Saturday am when the car gets driven to the paint booth for deck lid stripes.

George
68 Camaro
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 08, 10:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Mike
Thanks..I saved the link to bigals in my favourites.No fluid leaks anywhere now that i got rid of the felpro 1884r 1 piece oil pan gasket.It split under the chain cover so i went back to the cork and rubber setup and dry as a bone.The blower sneezes thru the pop off valve in the back of the blower manifold in gear only..not free revving the engine in park.Idle the engine up to 5mph and then tap the throttle brings on the sneeze.I just now finished upping my primary pump squirters from .031" to .037".Will test this mod Saturday am when the car gets driven to the paint booth for deck lid stripes.
George,

I feel for ya. It took me about a year to dial in my motor. It would back fire thru the carbs under load also. I had 2 850's that flowed 930 apiece. I had to much carb. I went with 2 750's. I had a problem with it running rich and fowling plugs. I bought the holley 750 blower carbs. Mine always ran rich. I actually had to lower the jets in the new carbs to finally not have black plugs and every once in a while it will back fire thru the carbs. Plus once I started leaning the motor out it started running hotter. That will be your next issue to solve. Good luck.

Mike

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 08, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

good news guys.The 68 was in paint prison for only 4 hrs and the rear deck lid striping is awesome.The 461 responded nicely to the pump discharge nozzle upgrade.No pop off bang going from the .031" to .037" and no black woof out the rear on accel.She ran 190f to and fro from work at cruise speed (45 mph).creaps up to 205f real fast under low boost.Still looking for that healthy balance of a/f,timing and fan cfm.Comes as no suprise..the beast is still in its it infancy.The torque curve is none existant.It starts high at 2500 rpm and flat lines.I can not say enough about a big roots atop a BBC.

George
68 Camaro

Last edited by fatblock; Jul 19th, 08 at 08:07 PM.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 08, 06:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

George,

Lets see some pictures.

Mike

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 08, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
George,

Plus once I started leaning the motor out it started running hotter. That will be your next issue to solve. Good luck.
Mike..what rad/fan combo are using to cool the 502?I have a 26" dual row aluminum Griffan and I purchased a derale twin fan 4000 cfm kit but I can not slide it in due to clearance issues.Is your rad in the stock position like mine is?I only have about 2.5" at the bottom and 3.5 at the top between the pulleys and rad core surface.thanks.

George
68 Camaro
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 08, 06:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

George,

I had to do some modifications to get my radiator and fans in. I have a big block BeCool radiator. I removed the mounting tabs from the sides of the radiator. The brackets have a offset to give it a little clearance between the radiator and radiator support. Like 1" clearance. I mounted aluminum flat bar to the inside face of the radiator. This moved the radiator closer to the radiator support but the radiator hit the lip around the opening on the radiator support. So I added a 1/8" spacer between the brackets and the radiator support.

I have the 11" dual Spal fans. I got them from DSE. Part # 13102. Go to there website and also check out Spals website.

My blower belt was still a litttle close for me so I took the 4 bolts that hold the idler pulley and shortened them about 1/4". The belt still lined up with the other pulleys but this helped keep the belt away from the fan motor. Even if the belt rode the outer edge of the pulley I have about a 1/4" between the pulley and fan motor.

I can give you the measurements from the back of the radiator bracket and fans if you need the measurement. This will be the total width of the radiator and fans.

Mike

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 08, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
George,

I can give you the measurements from the back of the radiator bracket and fans if you need the measurement. This will be the total width of the radiator and fans.

Measurements would be very helpful Mike.I will check out the #13102 at work this am.I am closest at the bottom blower pulley.I have about 2.5".Thanks in advance.

George
68 Camaro
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 08, 04:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Is that 2-1/2" between the bottom pulley and radiator???

I wont be home till tomorrow. Then I will get the measurements for you.

Mike

Last edited by prostreet69camaro; Jul 30th, 08 at 04:48 AM. Reason: still offshore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode