What Does Your Pro "Street" Car Run? - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

What Does Your Pro "Street" Car Run?

Well after seeing there was a lack of posts in this section, I started thinking "Do any of the Pro Street cars make it to the track?" and if they do, What kind of numbers are they laying down?

To "me" a street car runs on pump gas and can be driven at highway speeds, doesn't need a support vehicle or trailer to get to the track. Needs to have treaded tires of some sort. Other than that anything goes.

If you haven't taken your car to the track, Do you plan to?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 02:55 PM
Senior Tech
Rico

Re: What Does Your Pro "Street" Car Run?

What does yours run? Been to the track? :-)
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

I am still building it and I don't know that I would call it "Pro Street" it's just a street car. My goal is to run 9's on pump gas (91 octane unleaded) and street tires, while driving it to and from the track.

How about yours?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 03:21 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
Well after seeing there was a lack of posts in this section, I started thinking "Do any of the Pro Street cars make it to the track?" and if they do, What kind of numbers are they laying down?

To "me" a street car runs on pump gas and can be driven at highway speeds, doesn't need a support vehicle or trailer to get to the track. Needs to have treaded tires of some sort. Other than that anything goes.

If you haven't taken your car to the track, Do you plan to?

6.10 to 6.12 in 1/8 mile with 461 BB on the M/T Sportsmans, have not been to track yet with current 468 BB. I'll probably need to run a set of slicks next time.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
6.10 to 6.12 in 1/8 mile with 461 BB on the M/T Sportsmans, have not been to track yet with current 468 BB. I'll probably need to run a set of slicks next time.
Good to see you have been to the track. With tires that wide your selection of "good" tires is limited. Slicks may be your only choice. One thing you may want to try is sprint car tires. All the tubbed cars used to run those before there were pro street style tires. The sprint car tires are soft and get real sticky since they are made for dirt. The good news is they are pretty cheap too. That way you can get by with driving them on the street cause they have tread.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
David..What would a 6.10 in the 1/8th work out to be in the 1/4 mile?
Once I get some some better skins on the rear of the 68..I would like to take a stab at the 1/8th mile.It sounds like a ton of fun without having to cross the stripes at a scary mph.PS-That new 468 is a beast..wrinkle walls would be a nice birthday gift.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 05:27 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
Good to see you have been to the track. With tires that wide your selection of "good" tires is limited. Slicks may be your only choice. One thing you may want to try is sprint car tires. All the tubbed cars used to run those before there were pro street style tires. The sprint car tires are soft and get real sticky since they are made for dirt. The good news is they are pretty cheap too. That way you can get by with driving them on the street cause they have tread.
Royce,
Thanks for the info on the sprint car tires, I will check them out.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
David..What would a 6.10 in the 1/8th work out to be in the 1/4 mile?
Once I get some some better skins on the rear of the 68..I would like to take a stab at the 1/8th mile.It sounds like a ton of fun without having to cross the stripes at a scary mph.PS-That new 468 is a beast..wrinkle walls would be a nice birthday gift.
George,
I'm not 100% positive but I think the 1/4 mile time would be 10.0 to high 9.9s. We are not fortunate to have a 1/4 mile track very close. Closest one that I am aware of is Hotlanta.Yeah I got to get some better tires on it, I almost put it into a pole the day after my friend and I got it back on the road. I wasn't acquainted with the added horsepower. I kept it under control(barely) and didn't damage anything(except my boxer shorts!!!) I learned a very valuable lesson.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
George,
I'm not 100% positive but I think the 1/4 mile time would be 10.0 to high 9.9s. We are not fortunate to have a 1/4 mile track very close. Closest one that I am aware of is Hotlanta.Yeah I got to get some better tires on it, I almost put it into a pole the day after my friend and I got it back on the road. I wasn't acquainted with the added horsepower. I kept it under control(barely) and didn't damage anything(except my boxer shorts!!!) I learned a very valuable lesson.
David..I have a neighbor that clicks off mid nines with his 68 Firebird n/a 400 Poncho.He warned me about running the 1/4 mile with stock upper control arms.His tubulars have a ton of caster that you can not grab easily with oem crap.This is why I would like to try 1/8th mile with my humble little street deal and keep the mph down.

George
68 Camaro
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 08:21 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
David..I have a neighbor that clicks off mid nines with his 68 Firebird n/a 400 Poncho.He warned me about running the 1/4 mile with stock upper control arms.His tubulars have a ton of caster that you can not grab easily with oem crap.This is why I would like to try 1/8th mile with my humble little street deal and keep the mph down.
.......and I also believe 1/8th mile is a little easier on all of our $$ parts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
.......and I also believe 1/8th mile is a little easier on all of our $$ parts.

Amen to that^.

George
68 Camaro
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 05:02 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Send a message via AIM to Blade

how fast can u push it?

Got to give the PEOPLE what they want!

Look....if you wanna be the best then you gotta take out the best!

1967 Prostreet Camaro
BB 431 650hp
400 Turbo Trans
Ford 9" 4:56 gears

post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 05:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I have not taken my car to the track either since I put the blower motor in. The motor I have came out of a buddies 70 nova with the same setup I have and weight. He ran a 9.90 in his nova. I am hoping to run around the same.

I just bought some Mickey Thompson SR radials. They are 33 x 22 x 15. I had a set of 19.5 Et Streets on it before but got caught in the rain and it wasnt a good thing. Now since I put the SR Radials on the tires they aint worth a damn. The car wants to wobble meaning the rear rocks side to side. Not wheel hop. It is very scary. If you lay into it easy it wont do it. I am going to leave them on till Cruisin the Coast in Mississippi then I am going to put the ET Streets back on to see if it goes away. If it does I will swap the ET's to my new rims and sell the SR Radials. I talked to a tire guy and he thought it was the belts in the tires doing it.

Anybody else have any ideas. It did not do it till I changed the rims and tires. It rides great cruisin.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

I don't know if you would call my street racer "Pro Street" since it only has mini tubs. But it is a full steel (glass hood), All roll up glass, complete interior (with backseat), pump gas car (with tailpipes) that drives 35 miles to the track (sometimes) and has posted 9.30s with the score boards on. it has run faster with the boards off on all the nitrous.

Here is a No Times run at our local No Bull Nationals. Each car has to do a 20 mile cruise to the track, pull names out if a hat, line um up and race um till the last one is standing.

I had to draw a 477CI 14-71 blow, Alchol injected monster that has run 7.70s in the first round!

My car is a 404CI pump gas motor with a plate! Turbo 350 and the original 12 bolt!

I gave him all he wated and a bag of chips!

On a normal 9.30s / 143 mph pass I go through the traps at 7400RPMs. I went thtough at 7650RPM according to my playback (about 148 MPH or so), He went through at 8700! About 170, LOL!

Got me by a fender!

post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
I don't know if you would call my street racer "Pro Street" since it only has mini tubs. But it is a full steel (glass hood), All roll up glass, complete interior (with backseat), pump gas car (with tailpipes) that drives 35 miles to the track (sometimes) and has posted 9.30s with the score boards on. it has run faster with the boards off on all the nitrous.

Here is a No Times run at our local No Bull Nationals. Each car has to do a 20 mile cruise to the track, pull names out if a hat, line um up and race um till the last one is standing.

I had to draw a 477CI 14-71 blow, Alchol injected monster that has run 7.70s in the first round!

My car is a 404CI pump gas motor with a plate! Turbo 350 and the original 12 bolt!

I gave him all he wated and a bag of chips!

On a normal 9.30s / 143 mph pass I go through the traps at 7400RPMs. I went thtough at 7650RPM according to my playback (about 148 MPH or so), He went through at 8700! About 170, LOL!

Got me by a fender!

That's getting with it. Are you running 9.30's and faster on pump gas? Or does the car run on pump gas when on the street?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode