What Type of Rear Suspension Does Your Pro Streeter Have? - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 08, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

What Type of Rear Suspension Does Your Pro Streeter Have?

Since I have a 1970 Nova waiting on deck to be modified I was wondering what type of rear suspension you guys are running. My Buick has a 4 link under it, 9" housing 4.11 gears, Detroit Locker, th400 w/Gear Vendors OD.

I know some of the old school Pro Streeters had/have leaf springs. The deal with my Nova is I don't want to backhalf the car it will be mini tubbed and I just want to fit 325's under the rear. I am debating on relocating the leafs and keeping them along with Cal Tracs. This will require a lot of work and notching or moving (fabricating new) frame rails. My other option would be to go with ladder bars and coil overs, either way I will not do a complete backhalf. At least that's the plan.

Post what you have even if it doesn't apply to what I'm doing it will be good for anyone out there that might be buying or building a Pro Street style car.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 08, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: What Type of Rear Suspension Does Your Pro Streeter Have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
Since I have a 1970 Nova waiting on deck to be modified I was wondering what type of rear suspension you guys are running. My Buick has a 4 link under it, 9" housing 4.11 gears, Detroit Locker, th400 w/Gear Vendors OD.

I know some of the old school Pro Streeters had/have leaf springs. The deal with my Nova is I don't want to backhalf the car it will be mini tubbed and I just want to fit 325's under the rear. I am debating on relocating the leafs and keeping them along with Cal Tracs. This will require a lot of work and notching or moving (fabricating new) frame rails. My other option would be to go with ladder bars and coil overs, either way I will not do a complete backhalf. At least that's the plan.

Post what you have even if it doesn't apply to what I'm doing it will be good for anyone out there that might be buying or building a Pro Street style car.
Royce,
I've got 2"x3" square tube for a rear frame, a 9" suspended by Competition Engineering "Ladder-Link" ladder bars. The ladder bars feature and "adjustable" lower mount to fine tune the rear end for squareness in the frame and maximum traction ("haven't achieved maximum traction yet) I also have coil-over shocks on the 9".

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 08, 03:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I have the same setup as David except mine in Morrison. The other car I am doing is a protouring car and it is minitubbed with the DSE quadra link. You could do the same thing and fit that size tire. I have 12" rims on the back of it.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 08, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Mike,
Is the DSE stuff meant for drag racing? I've looked at their kits and while they are a little pricey, they seem fairly complete. The DSE mini tub kit for the Nova won't hold a 325 tire on a 15" rim. That was my original plan but, if you read the details it says it won't hold that much tire. I also want/need to have my car low, not sure I can get there with the leaf springs. The tire MUST be tucked up inside the fender/quarter panel for me to be happy.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 04:43 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

I have a ladder bar set up with mini tubs in my street racer. I am changing that soon as I have time to our Prodigy Bar set up. I am tired of the white knuckles everytime I have to turn into a gas station!

Copy of another post................

I would not put a ladder or parallel 4 link (drag style) set up under anything I planed to drive on the street very much at all. They simply drive like crap on the street. This coming from a guy that has built and owned / owns them. Unless it is a Pro Street / Street racer / Ice cream stand bandit, you really want something more street friendly.

Your options Begin with moving the leafs inboard. This can be done inexpensively. Speedtech makes off set rear shackles that are priced well

http://www.speedtech-performance.com...prod/prd50.htm

To move the leafs inboard you will need to move the perches on your rear end in also. And you will need to do some type of upper shock crossmember, maybe a Competition Engineering piece. You do not have to narrow your ear. I run 29 X 14.5 Hooiser QTPs on the stock rear on my street racer with no narrow. Saves a lot of money.

For a street 4 link that will work at the dragstrip, we have our Prodigy Bar 4 link. But your going to spend a couple grand instead of $500 to move the leafs.

Info here

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...97#post1048297

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

This is my street racer with ladder bars and mini tubs. This is the one I am switching the suspension. It works awesome at the dragstrip, but I will gladly give up 1 1/0th of ET for a decent ride on the street.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Jerry

My '68 has a 2 x 3 square tube frame (back half), Competition Engineering 4 link with a diagonal panhard bar. it has coilovers, 9 inch with 4:56 gears, spool, Wilwood brakes.

The spool is going to be changed for a posi unit in the near future.

I had a friend who used the Moroso spring relocator kit and a Vega gas tank. He was able to fit a 13" wide tire under a '69 camaro with very little investment and no frame alterations. Unfortunately, this was a while back, and i don't know how to contact him.

Good luck with the Nova!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaros  August 2008 009.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	7658  

Jerry

67 RS coupe, Black
68 Pro street Torch Red, blown 427
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Frank, Do you have a spool in that car as well as the ladder bars?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 11:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Mike,
Is the DSE stuff meant for drag racing? I've looked at their kits and while they are a little pricey, they seem fairly complete. The DSE mini tub kit for the Nova won't hold a 325 tire on a 15" rim. That was my original plan but, if you read the details it says it won't hold that much tire. I also want/need to have my car low, not sure I can get there with the leaf springs. The tire MUST be tucked up inside the fender/quarter panel for me to be happy.
Royce,

I dont think the DSE Quadra Link is for drag racing. I would do the leaf spring relocater kit or what Frank has. That looks like a nice setup. But I can tell you like to do your stuff on a limited budget and you can piece together a nice setup and save some money.

I have also seen where they weld a brace between the rear frame rails and use the leaf spring slider kits. You can mount the brace higher in the trunk area so the car is lower in the back. I believe Speedway Motors sells them.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2151...=leaf%20spring

Mike

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 12:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

OK,I've been watching this post I guess its time to pop in.I agree with Frank 100 % but its still fun to ride in a four link car which I have and dont think if I had to do it over I wouldn't change a thing. The only thing I think I would check out is the urethane hime ends from one of the chassis builders and I'm not sure who that is .

I think it might be Chassis Engineering.

I've been told that the four link is better than the ladder bar by allot of car builders and believe it. My brother and I had a ladder bar Nova strictly for the track and if it were on the street I think it would have been a real bad ride.

PRO.ST69orange

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Frank, Do you have a spool in that car as well as the ladder bars?
I have had a Posi and spool in it. When the kids ran it and it was only doing 1.46 short times and only running1070s-90s on motor, the posi was ok. Now that I drive it most of the time, and now that Michael can handle the nitrous, it is a spool. Short times are in the mid 1.35-39 range and that is hard on any posi but a locker, and might as well have a spool if your doing a locker.

Either way though it drives like doo doo. But it was a little better with the posi, I guess I am completly spoiled now that I know how good these can drive, and still work good at the track. And as I said, it is OK for short trips and slow cruising to the local hang out.

It may not be far in my furture I build a big tire Pro Street with G macine suspension and big front tires too. A 55 Chevy is in my head. Big Block, twin turbos, boomin sound system............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 12:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by david calligan View Post
OK,I've been watching this post I guess its time to pop in.I agree with Frank 100 % but its still fun to ride in a four link car which I have and dont think if I had to do it over I wouldn't change a thing. The only thing I think I would check out is the urethane hime ends from one of the chassis builders and I'm not sure who that is .

I think it might be Chassis Engineering.

I've been told that the four link is better than the ladder bar by allot of car builders and believe it. My brother and I had a ladder bar Nova strictly for the track and if it were on the street I think it would have been a real bad ride.
Dave,

I have the ladder bar setup with the urethane ends and have been running them for 15 years. I change them about every 3 or 4 years because they end up cracking. My car rides great with no squeaks or rattles. I do have a detriot locker in the rearend and it will make noises turning into a driveway. The ladder bars are from Morrison Enterprises.

Mike

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
I have had a Posi and spool in it. When the kids ran it and it was only doing 1.46 short times and only running1070s-90s on motor, the posi was ok. Now that I drive it most of the time, and now that Michael can handle the nitrous, it is a spool. Short times are in the mid 1.35-39 range and that is hard on any posi but a locker, and might as well have a spool if your doing a locker.

Either way though it drives like doo doo. But it was a little better with the posi, I guess I am completly spoiled now that I know how good these can drive, and still work good at the track. And as I said, it is OK for short trips and slow cruising to the local hang out.

It may not be far in my furture I build a big tire Pro Street with G macine suspension and big front tires too. A 55 Chevy is in my head. Big Block, twin turbos, boomin sound system............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....
Well Frank you seem to have your stuff sorted out. I won't argue but, I do disagree that a locker and spool are anywhere near the same. I have had sevral cars with lockers and I have ridden in and pushed spooled cars. Night and day difference. A locker will allow the wheel to differentiate a spool will not. A sharp or U turn in a spooled car is very hard on axles and the tires are going to chirp, with my locker you can make U turns or sharp turns all day long. You will have to listen to the click click click but, they handle a ton better than a spool. For a street car with decent power "I" think it's the best choice.

If we all thought and believed the same thing all of our cars would look the same and have the same parts. That would be pretty darn boring.

I want to see what the time differences are with the new "Prodigy" suspension vs. what you have now. There are several similar set-ups on the market most are marketed towards Pro Touring types of cars. Do you know of anyone that drac races with one? Just curious to hear how well they work. I would hate to be the one to try it and be disappointed.

4-links are better riding and a better choice for a street driven car over a ladder bar. Ladder bars are simple and effective and unless you drive on a lot of un-even surfaces, that's when the lack of independent wheel movement comes into play. I think for a pro street car it's not that big of a deal.

The only issue with any of the "Prodigy" type 4 links is the limit on tire size. Can't move the frame rails or the system doesn't work. It is a great bolt in option for Pro Touring or other street cars that people want to upgrade from factory type suspension or to mini tub a car with. Definetly an easy installation and all in one set-up for those that need it.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Royce,

I dont think the DSE Quadra Link is for drag racing. I would do the leaf spring relocater kit or what Frank has. That looks like a nice setup. But I can tell you like to do your stuff on a limited budget and you can piece together a nice setup and save some money.

I have also seen where they weld a brace between the rear frame rails and use the leaf spring slider kits. You can mount the brace higher in the trunk area so the car is lower in the back. I believe Speedway Motors sells them.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2151...=leaf%20spring

Mike,
It's not that I like to do things on a limited budget, god knows I spend a lot of money on car stuff. I just like to do things myself. Money really isn't the issue with the Nova. I just don't want to start another 4 year long project and let things get carried away (again). I want it simple and functional. I may just design my own rear suspension set-up, I'll have to wait and see once I actually get the car up on the lift and look things over.

The kit Frank has is similar to the Heidts kit, as well as a couple others. Like anythng else once a design pops up that works everyone comes out with their own version or re-label. I do like the looks of it I just need to see some on drag cars before I bite. The upper links appear to bolt to the frame, and the frames on these cars Novas and Camaros are not actually even frames, they aren't all that strong so, that concerns me. I am sure that area could be re-inforced though. I have not seen one in person yet, so I am going off of articles I've read and pictures I've seen.

I do like Franks kit better than the DSE from what I see. Franks kit looks more drag race friendly and stronger.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

There is a blue Pro Touring car with a huge back bandaid stirp over the hood like a 442. It has been splashed around the internet a bunch. That car right now is the fastest car I know of on this style of suspension. This car actually runs shockwaves (Air Ride) and is running 10.60s with 1.50 short times on 17" drag radials. I don't have any pictures but there is a big spread in Camaro Performers this month on it. The car running 10.60s is running the orignal Air Bar version of this set up we have been selling for years. The real difference in the Prodigy bar is in the ends which gggggives the rear way more mobility with the rod ends.

I plane to lower that ET a bunch with my street racer, at least a full second. I expect to lose 5/100th to a 1/10th in short time at most on the motor. I will be interested to see how it handles the full hit on the spray! If it slows down from bottom nines to mid nines, but drives a lot nicer, I think I can give up a couple tenths. And then if I can switch tires and autocross too................... How cool is that!

Maybe I will make a couple changes and get it in the to get 8.99 out of it. That would be cool!

As for being similar to the Heidts, the Heidts is a Parallel / Panhard set up with drastically different length upper and lower arms that causes some serious pinion angle change through the range of motion.

Our triangle 4 bar has longer upper links, heping to reduce pinion angle change.

Last edited by ProdigyCustoms; Aug 23rd, 08 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode