NEW 70 Chevelle for Father Son project? - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
NEW 70 Chevelle for Father Son project?

I just picked up a 70 Chevelle for my 14 year old son for him and I to build he wants it to be Pro-Street I've done a few unabody cars but not a full chassis car.

To all the PS guys what are your thoughts [keep in mind 14 years old] but he is a good kid so far.What is out there four the Chevelle and what are his and my best options?Before you say Team Chevelle he has already joined up over there and will be searching and talking it over with some of those guys add gals...

I will post some picks later....Thanks in advance

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 01:32 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Re: NEW 70 Chevelle for Father Son project?

VERY COOL!! My son is about the same age and could care less about cars.

A full frame car is going to be easier. Chevelles already can hold a lot of tire with minimum work. If it were me I would just notch the frame keep the 4 link the car came with just upgrade the control arms. When I say "notch" the frame I mean build a step into the frame to allow clearance for tires and axle. Should be failry cheap and easy. It's a much better foundation than a uni-body car.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech

Check out S & W Race Cars inSpring City Pa. They sell a pre-welded frame kit that slips right up into the stock frame, is welded in place, and then the section of the old frame is cut out. Give them a call and they can explain it better.

Lou

Pro Street 11.17 @120MPH

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ps383 View Post
Check out S & W Race Cars inSpring City Pa. They sell a pre-welded frame kit that slips right up into the stock frame, is welded in place, and then the section of the old frame is cut out. Give them a call and they can explain it better.

Lou

That is exactly what I was talking about. I didn't explain it very well though.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 09:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Dave,

Sounds like a great project.

I have a friend with a 69 chevelle that is a older prostreet car. He cut out his factory rear frame rails and then added a 2 x 3 square channel across the 2 frame rails then added the factory frame rails to it so the frame was narrower. It is easier to do than our camaros.

But like Royce and Lou said there are easier kits now.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Thanks for the input I think the first recomendation was for me to try and use the original equipment. The ladder bar set up will be more of an expence than we have right now with the goodmark parts and need a motor. He has to have a BBC too because the SBC looks lost in a Chevelle so my son says for the excuse to get the BBC I think.

Royce,is there any links on the web you know of that has any description on the best way to do this I think the stock suspension will be the best ride and I want to retain the back seat.

PRO.ST69orange

post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by david calligan View Post
Thanks for the input I think the first recomendation was for me to try and use the original equipment. The ladder bar set up will be more of an expence than we have right now with the goodmark parts and need a motor. He has to have a BBC too because the SBC looks lost in a Chevelle so my son says for the excuse to get the BBC I think.

Royce,is there any links on the web you know of that has any description on the best way to do this I think the stock suspension will be the best ride and I want to retain the back seat.
I don't know of any links but I would check the S&W website to see what the kit looks like. that should give you a pretty good idea. Also try doing a search for "tubbed Chevelle" I bet there is plebty of info out there.

When I saw what you wanted to do that is the first idea that popped into my head and that's how I would do it. Clean, simple, functional, and much less esxpensive.

I have to agree with your son on a BBC in a Chevelle and I am a SBC kind of guy. Certain cars just cry out for a BBC like the early Monte Carlos, you can almost fit 2 SBC under the hood.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 05:44 AM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

As you probably already figured out: The Performance forum on Team Chevelle should get all the BB info he will ever need (and then some). I have two back-halfed A-bodies in varying stages of project form:

Plus Old Blue runs a 305/50 street tire with some upgraded arms on the rear suspension:

Addicted to projects...
I just wanna drive........
post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 03:14 AM
Tyler

When do we get to see some pics?
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Hes out there now workin on it taking the front off hes happy as a kid in a candy store oh he is a kid.I just gave my buddy a list for all the sheet metal to order.I post some picks after that.Thanks for the intrest I think this is going to be fun.He is still not sure if he wants to back half it...

PRO.ST69orange

post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 08, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
David

Dave,
With your fabrication skills,that '70 Chevelle is gonna be as nice as your '69 Camaro. I think it would look good with the "Heavy Chevy" graphics on it!!

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 08, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by david calligan View Post
I just picked up a 70 Chevelle for my 14 year old son for him and I to build he wants it to be Pro-Street I've done a few unabody cars but not a full chassis car.
I wish I had a Dad like you!

And it's your Birthday today as well...Happy Birthday there Dave!

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Thanks Joe for your thoughts and relpy and I think this project is gonna be more fun for me than him.He is realy keyed up about it.He is in Vo-Tech and cant wait till he gets into his body shop class.

PRO.ST69orange

post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Here are some pics of my sons car I think it has potential.Check out this blog on this Chevelle how the fella narrowed his frame.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...hlight=camcojb
some pics:

I think we are going to replace all the sheet metal except the roof,doors, rockers,and back panel....

PRO.ST69orange

Last edited by Pro-Street69Camaro468; Aug 30th, 08 at 08:52 AM.
post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

OK, ordered the sheet metal now looking at back halves.I looking for suggestions I like the S+W but its a little pricey but it retains mot of the floor.Here are our two choices.
http://www.swracecars.com/store/64-7...36=10-501.aspx
second:
http://stores.checkeredracing.com/Detail.bok?no=5

PRO.ST69orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode