wheel base ? - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

wheel base ?

I am fixing to cut out the old backhalf of my tubbed 67 camaro and redo it alot better and nicer,my ? is the wheel base.I measured the camaro wheelbase and it is 107 on the passenger side and 108.5 on the driver side,this is how it was put in by whomever tubbed it the first go around im assuming.I measured my 68 bird and it is 108 1/4 on both sides.What is the correct wheel base for these cars and should I just adjust my marks to be the same before I cut out the old and put the new back in,I have never done one of these before but I have researched it all and a buddy of mine and his dad did one and it doesnt seem like it will be very hard I just need to figure this measurement out or how to fix it then cut it all out so I'm hoping some of you guys with prostreet cars can answer my ?s through this process.There is a noticable difference is the way the tires sit in the wheel wells but this car has also had 80% quarters put on at one time which will be changed after the new back half is installed.Thanks for any info you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Re: wheel base ?

108" is what the wheelbase "should be". Now before you cut out the old stuff make sure it's just not adjusted incorrectly. 4 links and ladder bars can be adjusted and maybe the car wouldn't leave straigh so they compensated.

In either case it is a lot of work to back half a car but, since your car is already cut up that will make it easier.

The first thing you need to figure out is if the rear end is off or is it the front. Don't assume anything. If you can find a reference point on the frame to measure from that would be a good place to "verify" what is off.

Once you verify what you have, use a plumb bob and get your front axle center line. Mark the floor on both sides, then measure 108" and mark the floor for your real axle center line. You can then hang a plumb bob from the rear quaters down to your mark on the floor and see if the wheel opening is right or not.

You can also measure in an X to see if your front wheel center line is straight.

Does that help?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

my car does not have any of the old floor or rear frame left in it from the previous backhalf,I measured with a square on the floor from front left wheel center to B pillar and got 79 3/4in and left rear center to B pillar and got 28 3/4in

I repeated these steps on the passenger side from front wheel center to B pillar and got 78 1/2in and from rear wheel center to B pillar and got 28 1/2in

I dont know if this a good spot to measure to I just couldnt think of anything else since all the original rear stuff is gone.Its a full 1 1/4 in difference from side to side and that doesnt seem right to me but I dont know,If there is something else I can measure let me know and I will do it.This car does have ladder bars on it now and I'm sure I could make the total wheelbase right but the front to B pillar is bothering me alittle bit,Thanks

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 06:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Chris,

This is how I did my car and the pro touring car I doing right now. It might be back yards but this is all I had.

Are the quarter panels put on in the right spot. They should match the bottom front lip of the rocker panel. You want your rear tires in the center of the opening and the measurements from front to back so the car tracks straight going down the road.

The first thing I would do is make sure the front subframe is in correctly. There is alot of discussion on lining up the subframe from the AIM manual. Do a search in the body shop section on how to align it. Align it first so you will have a good reference point.

With the car level on jack stands I would set it up with some plum bobs. Us a 4 ft level across the bottom or top of the rocker panel. Also try across the trunk to level it side ways. I would remove the front tires and turn the spindle and put a level on the top 2 wheel studs and hang a string off the bottom wheel stud. Do this on both sides. Put masking tape on the floor to do your marks while you are doing your measurements.

Have the rear end on a jack at ride height just to hold it up. Do the same thing on the back axles with the wheel studs / plum bob. Also put masking tape on the floor in the back. Mark it where the plum bob hits the floor. Measure front to back and in the ( X ) and see what you come up with. Is the rear axle in the middle of the quarter panel opening. You can adjust the ladder bars to do the adjustments.

Another thing to look at with the rear tires on the car, is the rear end centered in the car. You can run a plum bob on the lip of the quarter panel opening and then measure to each tire to see if the rearend is centered in the car. This will be hard to change since all the brackets are already welded in.

Try this and let use know what you come up with.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I have had several '67's & '68's. Wheelbase was anywhere from 108" to 108.75" +/-0.5" per side on the same car.

My present is 1/2 inch difference between sides and I corrected it by making/using an 1/2 inch offset button for the rear axle spring pad/bolt.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Everett is right, it's not unusual for any of these old cars to be off a little. It would actually be shocking if you found one that was perfect.

Since your car is backhalved and wasn't done very well, I would suggest you get your front axle center line straight (meaning wheel straight forward) and then mark the floor and measure back 108" on each side, that's where your rear axle center line should be. Build around that measurement and make sure the rear axle is square to the front wheels. I would not build around body panel measurements these older cars are not built perfect by any means.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 01:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

You want to make your wheels / frame / rearend square. All I was saying about the body panels is you want to end up with the tires in the middle of the quarter panel opening. If your panels are way off like you mentioned then make the frame square and build the body panels from there.

Mike

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

thanks for all the info guys,I am fixing to get out in the garage and take some measurments and get it ready to cut out the old stuff,If I got anymore ? I will let you guys know and I'm sure you can help me cuase what you've told me allready is more than I started with,Thanks again
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
You want to make your wheels / frame / rearend square. All I was saying about the body panels is you want to end up with the tires in the middle of the quarter panel opening. If your panels are way off like you mentioned then make the frame square and build the body panels from there.

Mike,
I wasn't dis-agreeing with you. We are basically saying the same thing.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
David

Guys'
Excellent information in this thread!!! We need more of this type of information as it will most certainly help someone like myself who has limited knowledge and experience with certain aspects of hotrodding and fabrication.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you draw a string from the bottom ball joint zerk and the steering arm/tie rod zerk from each front wheel, the rear intersection of the two strings is the center of the rear axle.

From there, a diagonal measurement from the lower ball joint to the same outboard spot, left & right, on the rear axle, will place the rear axle square with the front axle lateral centerline.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

guys my car still has the original bushings under the front end but I didnt want to redo the frontend yet,I took some measurments from the holes that are used to allign the front subframe to the rear axle centerline in the X pattern and it is 1/2in difference.from pass front to driver rear is 107 3/4 and from the driver front to pass rear is 107 1/4 and this is the side that my wheel base only 107in and the tire doesnt look centered in the wheel well.is this a good measurment to go buy and what do you guys think.Thanks
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Align front tires with side of the body, use a yardstick on the sidewalls to the door, both sides should be equidistant.

Measure from spindle center to rear axle center.

You measured the squareness of the front clip to body. Fenders align with doors, cowl good?

'
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

fenders and cowl seem to allign pretty well,I was trying to find something to check the rearend against to see it it is square in the car cause it is a backhalf ladder bar car now just awful work and I want to redo it.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 07:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
Mike,
I wasn't dis-agreeing with you. We are basically saying the same thing.
Royce,
I know you were'nt disagreeing with me. We were talking the same thing but his wheels are not straight in the quarter panel opening. Its hard to explain this unless you are right there doing it. I saw your frame work and it is very nice. I did my car 17 years ago before they had any books on it. I just said what the hell and started cutting.

Chris,
I would buy a set of frame bushings and get the front frame straight first since you have nothing in the back to reference from. What kind of shape are the front bushings in? I would hate for you to go thru all the work of aligning the front subframe and have to redo it when you change the bushings.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode