Front seats and roll bar clearance - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 08, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Aric

Front seats and roll bar clearance

Hey guys, I have a 68 SS I am doing a body off and am looking for seats that will sit low enough to give me the clearance NHRA (3") needs to let me run. Since I will terrifying my wife on the street with the car also comfy would be very nice. Any advise on installed height on the main hoop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 08, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Aric

Re: Front seats and roll bar clearance

Here is a pic
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 08, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
George

Not sure about the ? what 3" does nhra require and for what!

1948 Chevrolet Fleetline Areosedan PRO STREET!
406 Solid Roller motor!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 08, 05:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

The rule I think states the bar needs to run between your elbow and your shoulder.What you really need to watch is how it effects your armrest.I did drop bars but they are illegal I just dont like swing outs and I am a big guy and dont want to fight getting in and out.

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 08, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
George

Interesting thread because i just called a guy to come out and look at my Car to install a roll bar yesterday i new they had to meet between shoulder and elbow but did not know drop bars are illegal!
Guess what to bad because im getting drop bars lol

I to do not like climbing in the car and not to mention rubbing all the paint off the bars nicking them up etc so a drop bar it will be for me im running crysler bucket seats, and made my own seat brackets to fit the height i personally needed. heres a pic of pretty much how i want my side bars to
look.

And with the bar at seat level on the side i can make a custom panel to cover the seat sides and the bar will be paneled behind it so it covers the brackets etc.

406 Solid Roller motor!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 08, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The rulebook states the main hoop must be no less than 3 inches from the helmut.
However, with a headliner installed and seat installed with driver sitting, the helmut is below the main hoop. Mine passes tech.

The side bars must pass through the drivers's arm between the shoulder and elbow.
If you have a custom door panel, the molded armrest will not work. I had to get standard door panel and remove the armrest.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 08, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech
George

Great explanation thanks. And very good point about Arm Rests that was what i had planned on doing to mine is designing the arm rests around the cage!

406 Solid Roller motor!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 05:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I have the swing out bars in my car. I never put them in, only when I go to the track which has been a while. I just added deluxe door panels and the bars dont fit. I used to do like the others do, remove the arm rest. Now I have to remove the door panel if I take it to the track.

I would make the roll bar as high as you can get it without hitting the headliner. Unless you dont plan on putting one in. Also putting in a headliner with a roll bar installed is a pain.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Unless you dont plan on putting one in. Also putting in a headliner with a roll bar installed is a pain.
It is difficult, but doable with headliner in. Temporary place shielding on headliner to prevent burn holes from splatter. I used 0.02" alum sheet.

If you decide to have a headliner, you want it installed so you can adjust the height of the main loop for not only the headliner, but room for the added cushioning on the bar as stated in the rule book.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
.......I had to get standard door panel and remove the armrest.

Hey Ev........I sanded the backside of my armrest bases on a horizontal sander just enough so they clear the door bar on my Camaro.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Aric

Thanks for all the input guys, My biggest concern was the 3" clearance between the top of the helmet and the bottom of the main hoop. I had been told to do the headliner last is that a real bad idea? It would be a lot easier to do it now with the car apart. and I was at a car show and saw a 68 with deluxe door panels with the side bar angled out to fit around it, I called NHRA and they siad the bar can have a curve in it. It does not have to be a straight run. What seats are you guys running in your rides these days?

Thanks Aric
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM2RAS View Post
.....What seats are you guys running in your rides these days?

Thanks Aric
........ JAZ racing bucket seats.......yeah they're a little outdated...I plan on upgrading the seats in the future.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 01:58 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I'm on the verge of making my 4 point a 6 point by adding the door bars too. I know the "drop bars" or "pro street bars" are illegal as per NHRA but was thinking of swing-outs or... just make my bars shorter and not go all the way to the front of the door ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Aric

The NHRA guys are great to talk to they have answered a lot of my questions, when I asked if the door bars could have a bend they also told me I could still use the swing outs. Hey are you guys still mounting your seats to original mounting pad or have you cut that out and mounting them to the floor pan?

Aric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode