QA1 coilovers - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

QA1 coilovers

Ready to buy new coilovers for my '72 pro streeter, need to know which QA1's to get. Already have the QA1 coilover conversion for the front w/350 springs. Car is set-up on ladder bar, will have an aluminum headed sbc in it. Has economy coilovers on it now, and the coilover springs measure 12" at ride height. Top of the rear springs sit in cups welded to the frame rails and shocks run thru and bolt to that mount and the upper sheetmetal. I'm gonna put a tube between the frame rails and then add new mounts to the tube, so that will decrease the available mounting distance. Coilovers are already mounted in the lowest hole on the rearend. Would like the single adjustables like I have for the front. Hopefully the car will weigh between 3200-3400 lbs when done, as close to 50/50 front to rear as possible. Anybody know which would be the correct numbers for the QA1 package?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Re: QA1 coilovers

Jeff,
I would suggest you call a shop like www.cachassisworks.com and see what they recommend. All they do is chassis stuff so, they should have no problem recommending a spring/shock. They manufacture their own line of spring and shock (Varishock) that is VERY good (many argue they are better than QA1's). I have both QA1's (front) and Varishocks (rear). I will be running Varishocks all the way around on my other car (already have the fronts). Even if you want to stick with QA1's give them a call and see what they recommend as far as rates go. You will need to know what length you want/need though and this of course if dependent on your mounts and desired ride height.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Thanks for the tip....I did realize after posting that I'll need to have my mounting heights figured out before ordering. I think I'll wait on the coilovers til I get that done.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 05:04 AM
rtj
Senior Tech

I'll crawl under the car this weekend and let you know what they installed on my car. It's packed behind tool boxes right now. Our cars should be about the same weigth, so it might be usefull info.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Thanks!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 05:38 PM
rtj
Senior Tech

They are HAL shocks from QA1. One of the coil over springs has a metal band with the number "2" stamped onto it. There is no sign of a model number, but each has a unique serial number.

The previous owner said they were fairly new, so it's one less item to purchase!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Sweet! I bet that number 2 is for 200, as in the rate. I was kinda leanin that way. Thanks, bro! BTW, I did some research on that rack and pinion set-up of yours, the mount with A R T on it came from Applied Racing Technologies. Could you do me a little favor? I need a measurement on that rack-inner pivot point to inner pivot point if possible. I checked out the Strange unit and it shows 24.5 inches, which would really screw up bumpsteer. But I guess that ain't that critical on a part time cruiser like mine will be.........
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 07:55 PM
rtj
Senior Tech

Okay, it looks to be 24 or 25 inches. It's hard to tell exactly where the pivot is with the boots on, and I've got no previous experiance with these units. Willwood makes a unit too. They show a nice blueprint with dimensions on their web page.

I'm not too worried about bump steer, this will only be a cruiser and occasionally run down the track. The previousl owner said he had to have the rack.

I just sent back a set of 2 1/8" Hooker Super Comps and ordered the 2". There was no way the 2 1/8" headers would fit, and I'd already got them when I saw guys on other forums complaining about them not fitting. Just a warning in case you planned on the 2 1/8" super comps.

Hey Tilley, you raced a lot, who makes a good adjustable front swaybar? I can't use a factory bar, as the front bolt holes are covered by the added crossmember. I'll need something shorter.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Did'nt use swaybars on my dirt cars, but I can help you research that. I'll probably put one on my car, too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Try these guys.....http://www.1speedway.com/Swaybars.htm
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 11:20 AM
rtj
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilley88 View Post

Okay, looks good. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode