Another Firewall Thread - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Another Firewall Thread

I thought it would be a better idea to start a new thread rather than hijack the previous smoothed firewall thread. This section needs more threads to keep it fresh anyways. This section also tends to stick with one thread too long and get gets side tracked (IMO).

The car is a 1970 Nova and not "Pro Street" because it will only have 12" wide tires out back. Other than the tire size it will have all the goods (cage, blower, skinnies up front, etc..).

This is basically a step by step pictorial of how I like to fabricate and it might be helpful to others planning to try to do some fabrication but, don't know where to start.

Before: (I couldn't stand the "wrinkles") The previous owner also beat the firewall upi pretty good with a hammer for "clearance"

Here we go:

I'm not quite done yet. I will finish it up in the next day or two and update this post. I decided again a completely smooth firewall, I have had several cars with them and wanted something different. When finished this firewall will have a smooth lip running accross the seam. Ok I have to run tto work more on this later. I hope it halps some of the guys that don't have a bunch of experience. You can do it and it only takes basic hand tools and a welder.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: Another Firewall Thread

Royce, thanks for sharing the pictures and knowledge.Keep the updates coming!!!

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 05:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Another Firewall Thread

Nice work Royce
Like the pattern details
Isn't it fun repairing some of the 'caveman' type hammer work you find sometimes

I was a bit confused at first - not used to seeing a Chevy in your shop
Wait !!! where's the Buick ???

Good idea to start threads on different aspects of fabrication

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
maxwell

i like the slightly smooth firewall look.mine was rotted under so i replaced the whole thing with a repo.but still had tu fill a bunch of holes.

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 09:02 PM
Senior Tech
George

Great color looks amazing keep those pics comming!

1948 Chevrolet Fleetline Areosedan PRO STREET!
406 Solid Roller motor!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

WOW, my spelling was terrible. That's what happens when you rush. For some reason I can't edit the first post.

Here's a spelling key, lol "again" was supposed to be against, "halps" = helps, "tto" = to

I have a few screw holes to fill, no biggie and the upper portion of the firewall is in very good shape. I decided not to totally delete the wipers on this car. I will make a bolt on, block off plate for the wiper motor. That way if I want wipers later it will be a simple fix.

John,
I didn't even notice the firewall was "adjusted" until after I pulled the engine out and was cleaning up the firewall.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 07:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Nice job Royce, now you can come over to weld my subframe connectors. I wish i could fabricate and weld. You guys make it look easy.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 08:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Looks great Royce,

Have you thought about relocating the wiper motor to the firewall / cowl area under the drivers fender? I have seen a few pictures on here about it.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Last edited by prostreet69camaro; Feb 12th, 09 at 04:56 PM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Nice job Royce, now you can come over to weld my subframe connectors. I wish i could fabricate and weld. You guys make it look easy.
Skip,
You can do it! Seriously it's not hard. TIG welding takes some practice/talent but, just about anyone can MIG weld. When I bought my first wire feed welder (long time ago) I had my wife welding in about 15 minutes.

Fabricating just takes an imagination and patience. If you can picture it in your head, you can make it.

Do you have bolt in connectors that you want welded or weld in connectors?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Looka great Royce,

Have you thought about relocating the wiper motor to the firewall / cowl area under the drivers fender? I have seen a few pictures on here about it.
Mike,
I have never heard of this. If you get time, share some info about this. I would be interested in taking a look. I normally don't run wipers (not really needed here) we don't have thunder storms for out of nowhere like other places. You know well in advance if there is a chance of rain and I usually don't drive my toys in the rain.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 02:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
Skip,
You can do it! Seriously it's not hard. TIG welding takes some practice/talent but, just about anyone can MIG weld. When I bought my first wire feed welder (long time ago) I had my wife welding in about 15 minutes.

Fabricating just takes an imagination and patience. If you can picture it in your head, you can make it.

Do you have bolt in connectors that you want welded or weld in connectors?
See there you go making it sound so easy... lol.. Yeah i have the Hotchkis frame connectors, that are both a bolt in and or weld. I think what im gonna do is grind and clean up the metal to be welded and bolt it in, then drive it to my buddy's shop and have him weld it... He wont let me touch his welder.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 04:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
Mike,
I have never heard of this. If you get time, share some info about this. I would be interested in taking a look. I normally don't run wipers (not really needed here) we don't have thunder storms for out of nowhere like other places. You know well in advance if there is a chance of rain and I usually don't drive my toys in the rain.
Royce,

The one I saw was they cut out the mounting flange for the wiper and moved it to the cowl area under the drivers fender. That way the factory motor could be reused. Then they modified the arm to reach the motor. I looked for the thread but could not find it.

Here is one way of doing it.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/show...ighlight=wiper

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ht=wiper+motor

Mike

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 04:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
See there you go making it sound so easy... lol.. Yeah i have the Hotchkis frame connectors, that are both a bolt in and or weld. I think what im gonna do is grind and clean up the metal to be welded and bolt it in, then drive it to my buddy's shop and have him weld it... He wont let me touch his welder.
I just put in the DSE subframe connectors in the protouring 69 I am doing. They are the weld-in type. It wasn't that hard to do. The only thing I dont like is they stick up about 1-1/2" into the rear floorboard.

Mike

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Skip, It's always good to have friends like that. I wouldn't have a problem doing it for you but, my little shop is full of Nova right now. Better yet I would let you do it that way, you would be hooked.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Royce,

The one I saw was they cut out the mounting flange for the wiper and moved it to the cowl area under the drivers fender. That way the factory motor could be reused. Then they modified the arm to reach the motor. I looked for the thread but could not find it.

Here is one way of doing it.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/show...ighlight=wiper

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ht=wiper+motor
Just great Mike! Now I have to add that to my list, I was trying to keep this built simple and short, lol. Thanks for looking that up for me. I like the idea of sticking the GM wiper motor under the fender. I'll look into it, for sure.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode