Roll bar a must in backhalfed cars? - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Brian

Roll bar a must in backhalfed cars?

Ok this may sound like a dumb question but do you have to have a roll bar in a car that has been pro streeted? I am not to concerned with being able to drag race my car. It has been backhalfed and I was thinking about removing the roll bar so I can fit the kids in the back seat. I am basically rebuilding my whole car. Selling the 600+HP BBC and turbo 400 for a more driveable drivetrain. The car will have 29x15 or 29x18 tires, it has a ladder bar set up, sub frame has been tied. Just wanna make it more stock looking inside. Besides with my leg injury getting in and out of the car has become a major pain in my ***. Does anyone have pics of non rollbar tubbed out cars? I am getting all the parts before I rip inot it, I am hoping top document it all on here , Thank you for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: Roll bar a must in backhalfed cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet69Z View Post
Ok this may sound like a dumb question but do you have to have a roll bar in a car that has been pro streeted? I am not to concerned with being able to drag race my car. It has been backhalfed and I was thinking about removing the roll bar so I can fit the kids in the back seat. I am basically rebuilding my whole car. Selling the 600+HP BBC and turbo 400 for a more driveable drivetrain. The car will have 29x15 or 29x18 tires, it has a ladder bar set up, sub frame has been tied. Just wanna make it more stock looking inside. Besides with my leg injury getting in and out of the car has become a major pain in my ***. Does anyone have pics of non rollbar tubbed out cars? I am getting all the parts before I rip inot it, I am hoping top document it all on here , Thank you for any help
Brian,
While I don't have any pics of non-rollbar tubbed Pro Streeters, I don't think that not having a rollbar is a drawback since you say that you have no intentions of racing the car. The only negative thing that I can think of is a lack of structural rigidity without a rollbar but that could be overcome with additional strengthening on the frame. Post some pics for us when you can, we like to see pics of builds.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
george

Brian..I do not have a pro street car so i can only offer up my view.
A stock appearing interior is not going to take away from the steam roller look imo..
Some folks have a problem when pro street cars that do not perform at the track or simply come off as posers.I for one..do not see this.
No track time..no need for a cage.Dropping in a engine that sounds tough at idle at the cruise ins suffices and who needs dyno sheets.I have toasted many supposed 700 hp bbc,s right off desk top dynos.Seems like that is starting point for anything over 454 cid these days..
Pro Street has been debated on and off.The one common theme tho..is the back half and steam rollers are manditory.Sounds to me,you fit the basic requierment.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 07:08 PM
rtj
Senior Tech

The back-half removes lots of sheetmetal, and all that sheet metal on the camaro carried load. Without the rollcage, you will lose a lot of structural support for the rear. Like said above, you could reinforce the frame.

I had a factory 427 68 vet and the body had small stress cracks due to flex and the car had a full frame. I have a 502 75 vet now and prior to putting in the roll cage the body was breaking up badly from frame flex. And both cars were only street driven.

Redesigning the cage so it is less intrusive in the rear may be the safest option.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet69Z View Post

It depends on what you use for frame rails or what kit you use. If you use round tube or 2 X 3" tubing you MUST have a roll cage to add support/strength to the chassis. There are a lot of newer kits out there that used 2 X 4" tubing and with this type of kit you don't have to run a roll cage.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)

Last edited by camaroman7d; Mar 8th, 09 at 07:56 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Brian

I probably wont ever drag the car have no desire to. I dont care if some people seem to think its not prostreet if it doesnt have a roll bar. I have already gotten enough slack for everyone cause its been prostreeted and its a real Z/28. I was in a near fatal motorcycle accident this past summer and getting in an out with the cage is really hard. I will have to check my frame rails to see if they are 2x3 or 2x4 thanks for your help
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
David

An option not yet discussed is swing out door bars and you could make the horizontal bar between the main hoop removeable as well or remove it permanently. Just a thought.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

Garage

My pro-street does have a cage in it, however the frame under the car is built to the point that if I didn't want a cage I wouldn't think twice about it. I'm running 33 X 21.5 MT so it was a max effort. It's got a 2X4 square tube frame from the stock frame all the way to the back with cross supports. I'd say it is a lot stronger than the original chassis setup.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

You can x-brace the chassis for added strength, and/or redesign the cage. You probably won't be able to fit a full size rear seat in it anyways because it is tubbed? Maybe a Jeep rear seat will fit? You can work the cage around that easily. I too would be worried about chassis flex without a cage, especially if you have a hi dollar paint job.

I may be old and slow, but ........what the heck was I gonna say?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Not to mention the safety value of the cage with regards to kids. Even with the frame braced a cage really helps in a side impact. Plus the cool factor is enhanced when the kids get old enuff to drive it to school.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 09, 04:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Everyone advises not to have a cage in with back seat passengers....do a search. Unless of course the kids are wearing helmets.

68 coupe ,572,tko
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 09, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

That's a good point.......but you can build the cage where the rear down bars are over their heads and padded.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 09, 04:04 AM
rtj
Senior Tech

I saw a post the other day, a guy messed up his ankle bad in a crash because he forgot to pad the roll bar where it tied into the floor by his feet.

If you have a cage, you better pad it and wear seatbelts.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 09, 07:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

The typical closed cell foam padding wont protect you in an accident .....There is special approved padding that is better .

68 coupe ,572,tko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode