Prostreet car in PA - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Prostreet car in PA

Hi All,
I couldn't figure out were to post this, but I thought some of the performance people may have blower cars with the same issues.
I've been at the car thing for a long time, left and got pulled right back in...this time with a prostreet car...It's still a project, but most of the major parts are there. The question I have is...How do I get this thing on the road with a blower sticking through the hood? The car hasn't been registered yet. I've been looking into a few different options, but am more confused now then I was . Please help. I just want to tune the car for a nice weekend drive, but don't want to get greef for it..is there a Pro-Street registration in PA?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Re: Prostreet car in PA

Welcome to the site Willy,
Your best bet would be to talk to a few guys in your area with blowers and see how they were able to do it. Car shows will be your best bet to find street driven blown cars. Since I am in California the laws are different but, I have not had any issue with driving a blown car on the street here or in Nevada. We don't have vehicle "inspections" here like many of the places back east.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

You might want to ask in the Pro Street section too https://www.camaros.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71

There are a few guys with blown pro streeters in there too. It's kind of hard to find the section but, it is under the Pro Touring section in small print "Pro Street". Several guys from back east hang out in there and have blowers.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
Shawn

you should have no problems, there is no "pro street" registration in pa, you are basically limited to an antique car.. they have a street rod/hot rod registration, but IIRC it is for cars below something like 1947

since your car is what im assuming a 1st gen camaro, you wont have to get it emissions tested at time of registration, and im not aware of any laws or anything that states you cant have a blower sticking out of the hood
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech

This will probably be your best bet. Quite a few guys in my car club have done this.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ed_Vehicle.pdf

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech

hi, i live in s/e pa and have a pro street car but not a blower. i think you are looking for a Collectable tag that pa has. like a s/r or classic tag, you pay for the tag one time and its considered permanent. you will need to take pics of the car and apply for the tag. if i were you, i would send pics w/o the blower as i don't think they are technically legal in pa (obstructs view) go to a notary and ask for the details. good luck!

Pro Street 11.17 @120MPH
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Alex Folino

Send a message via AIM to AlexFolino

Should be no problem, i know 2 guys here in Pittsburgh with blowers taller than skyscrapers sticking out of the hoods on their 69 camaros and theres no problem.

GM service technician.

25 years old. I only drive chevys. Everything else and i do mean everything can rust in piece.

68 owner-The only way to go

Camaro: A small vicious animal that eats mustangs.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old May 29th, 09, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimizati0n View Post
you should have no problems, there is no "pro street" registration in pa, you are basically limited to an antique car.. they have a street rod/hot rod registration, but IIRC it is for cars below something like 1947

since your car is what im assuming a 1st gen camaro, you wont have to get it emissions tested at time of registration, and im not aware of any laws or anything that states you cant have a blower sticking out of the hood
For Pa inspection they only allow you to have the engine sticking out 4" above the hood.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old May 29th, 09, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Looks like the Antique Tag is the way to go. Thanks for everyones input.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old May 29th, 09, 11:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

That is what I have on my camaro, Antique tags. But I am in Texas. I never had any issues with a car with a blower motor in it.

Just apply for a antique tag.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old May 29th, 09, 01:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

OK,we got the Tags wheres the pics lets see the Pro-Street.

PRO.ST69orange

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 09, 06:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Big Will, where at in Pa are you? There are a few ways to go about it. I have never beed pulled over for the blower being to high. Now the inspection part. PM ME.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	10510  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 09, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
george

I am in the Detroit area and only get thumbs up from the boys in blue with dual carbs atop an 8-71.Displays of power is looked down on..so save the loud pedal for the track.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 09, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd502 View Post
Big Will, where at in Pa are you? There are a few ways to go about it. I have never beed pulled over for the blower being to high. Now the inspection part. PM ME.
I live about 30 miles west of Philadelphia. Valley Forge area.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 09, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech

bigwilly, i'm not far from you, in gilbertsville pa and i work in wayne.
i'd like to see some pics of your car (maybe seen it around?)

lou

Pro Street 11.17 @120MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode