Front wheel/tire combos ?? - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 09, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Front wheel/tire combos ??

I'm getting ready to mock up the front end on my 67 'Bird. I'm curious what others are running for a front tire/wheel combo on their cars. I have M/T 31x18.5-15's in the rear on 15x15 Convo Pro rims. The bias-ply sportsmans will give way to 31x18-15 radial sportsmans before it hits the road for good.I'd like the classic skinny tire look up front.

My front suspension is tubular upper/lower Global West control arms with Del-a-lum bushings and QA-1 coilovers. My calipers are stock single piston model for now. But will probably change to something else down the road.

I'm thinking about using 15x4 Convo Pro with 1 3/4" off set with M/T Sportman radials 26x6-15.

I have also thought about using 15x7 wheels with 3.375" offset and 26x8-15 M/T Sportman radials.

Any thoughts/feedback on either of these combos wouild be appreciated. Car will be used primarily as a weekend fun car and part time strip car.

67 'Bird vert 455 JW TH400 KRE d-port 310 cfm heads H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 09, 09:24 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Re: Front wheel/tire combos ??

I have 15 X 3 1/2" wheels on both of my cars and it's hard to beat the 165sr15 radials for front runners. I've run the M/T Sportsman front runners and they wear funny and don'toffer the greatest breaking. I have not tried the new M/T street radial front tires yet, but they do look like a nice tire.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech
David

15"x5" rims with 26"x7.50" M/T Sportsman front tires on my Camaro. prostreet69camaro (Mike) has/had the Sportsman Radial tires on the rear of his Camaro but didn't seem to like them very well.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

165 Kumho radials on 15x3.5 Prostars on front, 31x18.5 Sportsmans on 15x15 Prostars out back.

I may be old and slow, but ........what the heck was I gonna say?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilley88 View Post
165 Kumho radials on 15x3.5 Prostars on front, 31x18.5 Sportsmans on 15x15 Prostars out back.
Radials in the front and bias in the rear?? How's that been working for you. Interesting combo. I always thought the rule was bias front radials rear???

67 'Bird vert 455 JW TH400 KRE d-port 310 cfm heads H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I could'nt tell you how it feels, have'nt driven it, yet. I probably will go with the Sportsman radials eventually, tho. The car is sitting way up in the air minus everything but frame and rear hull right now. I'm getting ready to cut out the floorpan, firewall, and cage, then install my own. I'm gonna have the rear end narrowed another 4-5 inches so I can slam it further. Prolly be 3-5 years before she's done.

I may be old and slow, but ........what the heck was I gonna say?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I have driven with 165's on the front of several cars with bias ply on the rear. There will be no issue at all. There are a LOT of drag cars that run 165's on the front with of course bias plys on the rear. The old rule is not to mix the tire types, but remember we are talkign a very narrow tire on the front.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 09, 11:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

For you guys that might try the new MT SR radial on the rear, I did not like them. As a matter fact I have them in my shed if anyone is interested in buying them. They are 33 x 22 x 15.

All my problems started after I changed my tires and rims. With my old convo rims and MT ET streets there was no problems.

Good: They are great for cruising and in the rain. I was cruisin 80 mph down the interstate and they road great.

Bad: You will get no traction at all. nada forget it. They have a flat side wall ( like a radial ) so they dont have the big tire / slick side wall.

Real Bad: They made my car wobble side to side / up/ down. It was real bad the faster you went. Even tried it from a roll. I thought at first I had bad poly bushing since I was using the Art Morrission rod ends / w poly bushings. I replaced with solid rod ends and it helped a little. Also realigned and measured to make sure nothing was off. Also checked the panhard bar and replaced the bushings. Also replaced the rear shocks. Still same problem. I bought Hoosier Quick Time Pro 33/22.5/15 and the problem went away.

I was at the Hotrod Reunion in Bowling Green Ky and talked to the guy with the 64 nova station wagon w/ the 2 blowers on his motor. I asked him how he like the tires also. At first he said they were great. Then I asked him how they were if he hit them hard. He was having the same problem I was and had been chasing the problem for a while. He shook my hand and said I was his long lost friend since he had been trying to figure it out also. LOL

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 09, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
i have driven with 165's on the front of several cars with bias ply on the rear. There will be no issue at all. There are a lot of drag cars that run 165's on the front with of course bias plys on the rear. The old rule is not to mix the tire types, but remember we are talkign a very narrow tire on the front.

I've run the 165 radials on the front with 21.5 bias ply Sportsmans on 2 different cars with no problems. The big bias ply tires do road walk but I don't think any more than with the Sportsman fronts (bias) I'm using now.

Jerry

67 RS coupe, Black
68 Pro street Torch Red, blown 427
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode