A Killer small cube Pro Street! - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

A Killer small cube Pro Street!

Thought id share a few pics of a local guys Monte he built orginally to be a drag car and drives it now on the street!
Its probably the best sounding small blocks i ever heard if i remember from the sign on it at the shows its like a 358 i beleive with over 700hp just amazing the owner is an engine builder from around Columbus ohio.
Thought id share the details on this car are remarkable!

1948 Chevrolet Fleetline Areosedan PRO STREET!
406 Solid Roller motor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: A Killer small cube Pro Street!

I would love to hear/see a video of that 358 !!!!!!! How's the work going on the '48 George?????

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Thanks for the reply!
Actually great i can tell im not 20 any more been burning the midnight oil on this fab work.
Actually finallllllly got my hood mounted and working just have to fab everything building a custom car is sooooo time consuming. Heres a few pics.
I da'ed the body with some 80 grit to get started on the body work but this hood has taken about a week or so to get close.
Have to rebrace the bottom of the hood and it will be smoothed up to. Hinges are working well thought i wasnt going to be able to use them when they were mounted on the firewall.

Picked up a few parts aswell the other day new billet ignition and coil waiting on the 6AL box.

406 Solid Roller motor!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 08:50 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Nice looking Monte. Looks more race than street for sure. No air filter, dry sump, etc.. Any idea what it runs/ran? With the non glass windows, it wouldn't be street legal here in Calif. Man I love a nice silver paint job.

The 48 is looking good and I know what you mean about building a custom car, there is just no way to rush the process, things always take longer than you think they would. In the end you will have a unique car and all the hard work and lack of rest will be worth it. After about 4 years on and off (mostly on) my car goes in the paint booth on Monday.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 10:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
Nice looking Monte. Looks more race than street for sure. No air filter, dry sump, etc.. Any idea what it runs/ran? With the non glass windows, it wouldn't be street legal here in Calif. Man I love a nice silver paint job.

The 48 is looking good and I know what you mean about building a custom car, there is just no way to rush the process, things always take longer than you think they would. In the end you will have a unique car and all the hard work and lack of rest will be worth it. After about 4 years on and off (mostly on) my car goes in the paint booth on Monday.
Royce, we got to see some pictures when you have some paint on the car.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I'm not a big Monte Carlo fan normally but that's a sweet looking ride, you can tell it was born as a race car but he's refined it a bit. Killer car for sure. What is the story on the motor, how did he net 358", large bore short stroke or just an .040 over 350? What did it run?
One of the guys we used to race outlaw 10.5 with had a chevy II that honestly had more ploished metal on it, the interior was ridicules. I can't imagine the upkeep on a show car like that Monte let alone a race car, that's dedication to polished surfaces...

Your '48 is really coming along. Sweet looking ride I always have loved those cars..

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 01:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Nice Pics George but it sits a little high for my taste....just kidding.How many hours do you think you have in your car as of now and how many more you think.

PRO.ST69orange

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Levi

Hey I dont mean to thread jack. I work at this wrecking yard and they have a old plymouth that looks just like your car there pro 48. I think they are just going to end up junking it and the body is in killer shape i mean no holes rust nada its clean. What are those things worth unrestored? Its in better shape than some of the camaros ive seen on here unrestored.

1975 Camaro "Black Out"
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

This Monte is really cool!
I dont recall the displacement excatly i know it was a samller displacement in the 350ish range but i do recall a person shouting out 722 hp off the sign he had up.
At a local indoor show in the mall we had here in eastern ohio, He had it there and did well showing it of course but best part of the whole show was driving it though the mall on the way out and it shook out some of the inserts from the drop ceiling out leaving,
It literally sounds like a pro stock car.

The story from friends that have had there engines dynoed at his shop is It was his very first car at age 16 and completly built the car with the intent to run super gas with it. And turned out so nice he just decided to tool around in it instead and use it as a show peice and advertisement for his business. Never seen it ran but if it was super gas would be a 9.99 car im guessing.
Its all chrome moly steel chassis and every bolt on it is indexed and in the right place.
I did notice a few stress cracks down low around the bumper valances where they were molded into the body from the car flexing some,

A close freind has a 70 monte with a bb in it and he got to ride around the mall in it before he loaded it up and said when he launched it it just felt like you were hit in the back with a baseball bat just pinned you in the seats.
He the owner was grinning and said "Now thats why i built it"
To bad its not wrung out more often would be a blast to drive
When i talked with my buddy Kent i'll get some details from him more on the engine

406 Solid Roller motor!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Thanks guys the ole 48 has been in metal mock up for almost 4 years so many lil things changed on it that all ad up.
I welded the fenders to the body and tilted the front clip "still all metal mind you" and did the top of the hood pancake style and opened it at the body line for a cleaner look and feel to it flipped the bumpers moved them closer to the body etc. things you just wouldnt think of.
Waiting on my heads to buttoned up the rest of the motor short block is completed. and will get my news wheels on etc when the car is in primer and out of mock up. But overall really fun build.
Just be nice to fire it up finally.

Ram air ducted from grille and exits out the back of the tri five style bird i built to shoot fresh air to the aircleaner

406 Solid Roller motor!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Thumbs up Re: A Killer small cube Pro Street!

That Monte is nuts!!! I can only imagine how long and how much money that boy bad took to complete!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Royce, we got to see some pictures when you have some paint on the car.
I will post pictures for sure, hopefully it comes out decent. I probably still have a month of assembly left after paint, but I will post progress pictures.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 09, 10:16 PM
Tech Team
Alex Johnson

i love those 78-79 monte carlos,i also like your car mr.fleetline
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 09, 03:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO 48 Fleetline View Post
Thanks for the reply!
Actually great i can tell im not 20 any more been burning the midnight oil on this fab work.
Actually finallllllly got my hood mounted and working just have to fab everything building a custom car is sooooo time consuming. Heres a few pics.
I da'ed the body with some 80 grit to get started on the body work but this hood has taken about a week or so to get close.
Have to rebrace the bottom of the hood and it will be smoothed up to. Hinges are working well thought i wasnt going to be able to use them when they were mounted on the firewall.

Picked up a few parts aswell the other day new billet ignition and coil waiting on the 6AL box.

I almost asked before I read that you were using a 6AL this is the same three items I went with.I mounted my coil in side and used a feed thru.Heres a pic of the billet cover my buddy made....Many don't like the box in the engine bay but I think it has a good look...This thing is looking great you got to get it finished we need to see the final product.

PRO.ST69orange

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 09, 03:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

George I have seen the Monte Carlo before have you posted it in the past,if not I saw it some where.That is one that you cant forget it is bad a$$.

PRO.ST69orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode