4-link angles - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

4-link angles

Finally have all the pieces to put my new rearend and 4-link setup under the car..........would like to have a drag setup even tho the car will be mainly a weekend cruiser. Anybody have a clue as to what my bar angles need to be?

I may be old and slow, but ........what the heck was I gonna say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Re: 4-link angles

There is no simple answer whatsoever. You need to figure out what the instant center needs to be as well as pinion angle for you particular set up and it really needs to be scaled as well.
But the basic of basic answers is, the bottom bar should be roughly paralell to the ground, car fully loaded with you in it, and the top bar should be higher in the back than in the front, and if you drew an imaginary line paralell to the bottom bar straight out front, and the top bar straight out front, the point they intersect is your instant center, where this point is based on your car will affect how it hits the tires.
My recomendation is get a good book on chassis from Alston or Bickle and read up, they are not simple but once you get a feel for them they work great on the track. If racing is not an issue close will be good for a start, but the best bet is get it close to where you think it should be (always with the driver and fully loaded car) and test at the track to get it right making small changes at a time or you will endlessly chase your tail.
Be aware that with a high powered car the 4 link will do crazy stuff not just on launch but down the track it will steer the car if the bars are wrong, so take it easy.
Good luck with it and do your homework!

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Thanks, just lookin for a rough outline so I can first install/weld-up everything and hopefully get it close enuff. There is nothing under the car at this time........I will be building a jig to get the rearend where I want it, then install my 4-link crossmember and brackets accordingly.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 04:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

You dont realy need a jig.It can be don by striking lines on the floor.The higher you pu the rails the lower the car will sit.You can get a back half already put together which is alot easier.I purchased mine from Chechered Racing.

You may want to stretch the quarters as well.

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
You dont realy need a jig.It can be don by striking lines on the floor.The higher you pu the rails the lower the car will sit.You can get a back half already put together which is alot easier.I purchased mine from Chechered Racing.

Nice work Dave !!!!!!!!!!!

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

My car is already backhalved........just switching over from ladder bar to 4-link. You can see what I'm workin with here.......http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/tilley88/

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilley88 View Post
My car is already backhalved........just switching over from ladder bar to 4-link. You can see what I'm workin with here.......http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/tilley88/

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 09:49 PM
Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post

Hey guys, total noob here to 4links/ladders bars. I have afew questions. in the first pic i can see holes are drilled to adjust the 4 link bars, but why would they need to be adjusted if you know roughly where they should be placed?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

That's what makes 4 links so good, you have many options and can get the car to hook on any track. That is also the bad part about 4 links they are so adjustable that people get themselves in trouble. They are not that complicated once you read up on them and understand how they work.

Most kits are going to have more holes than needed because the manufacture does not know what the specific application will call for. The kits are generic in terms of the brackets, etc.. The same kit for a Camaro will be the same kit for a 55 Chevy or a truck, in terms of the brackets, this help keep tooling and inventory under control.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode