Lowered the front of my 69 even more! - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 09, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Lowered the front of my 69 even more!

Here are some updated pictures after cutting another coil off the front. It already sat low but I really want the front a little farther down in the weeds. Back end is a 4 link and I've finally settled on the ride height there.

So, I went for it and blew the front end apart and cut another coil off. That makes two full coils now. Not sure what springs were already in the car but they looked fairly new so I don't think they were stock saggies. I'm very pleased with the look now even though I'll have to be even MORE careful now. Nothing like a mean 69 squatting down over the tires. I love the stance of Dave's car on here and finally got it looking close.

What a beautiful day to get her out and drive. I picked my boys at elementary school today and caused quite a stir with all the little boys staring and the teachers coming over to check it out in carpool line. The sound of it rumbling and loping next to the cars and buildings was cool. Driving down the road I just had this big smile thinking about HOW COOL IT IS TO BE BLESSED TO OWN AND DRIVE SUCH A COOL OLD MUSCLE CAR! I love this thing!

On the way home my boys asked if I could help them build a car like mine someday. They are only 8 and 6 but they have the bug too!

Here are some various pictures from today showing the front being slammed a little farther. I also got my new steering wheel on too and put pics in another post. Enjoy!

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 09, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

Send a message via AIM to Blade
Re: Lowered the front of my 69 even more!

Looking good!

Got to give the PEOPLE what they want!

Look....if you wanna be the best then you gotta take out the best!

1967 Prostreet Camaro
BB 431 650hp
400 Turbo Trans
Ford 9" 4:56 gears

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 09, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
David

Looks awesome Chad !!!!! . .

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 09, 07:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Very very nice!

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks guys!

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Looks GREAT Chad I saw the post of the steering wheel and didnt realize who you were untill this post.Cant forget that awsome garage.Do you have a detached garage as well because I cant see you doing to much work in there but I could see my self having dinner out there a couple nights a week just to have some alone time with the car.Not to be a safe nut but how do you pick up both boys with one seat better not let the wifie see this.Or does your car have a back seat.Anyway great to here from you and the car whats next I know your not fineshed.

PRO.ST69orange

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 07:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

That is sick, nice ride and great stance.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
Looks GREAT Chad I saw the post of the steering wheel and didnt realize who you were untill this post.Cant forget that awsome garage.Do you have a detached garage as well because I cant see you doing to much work in there but I could see my self having dinner out there a couple nights a week just to have some alone time with the car.Not to be a safe nut but how do you pick up both boys with one seat better not let the wifie see this.Or does your car have a back seat.Anyway great to here from you and the car whats next I know your not fineshed.
I feel you on the safety and I was probably was pushing it. I put them both in the one front seat and put the lap belt over both of them. Their school is only a half mile down our neighborhood street so it was close and speed was slow. It was a pretty rare occasion to pick them up like that since I was home cause my wife had a sinus surgery. When Dad's in charge they just never know what to expect! ha ha. Funny part is the kids said they HEARD me coming to the school before they saw me...

I don't have a back seat and that is a huge drawback. I really intended to buy a camaro with a backseat but fell in love with this one. I keep staring back at those tubs thinking of a way to fab a little seat for the boys. I need room for 2 in the back and one up front since I have 3 boys. (8,6,3). Right now I take them for a ride one at a time with full race belts on them otherwise.

No separate garage - with the old camaro I really need a "working" garage too! I had a corvette and then a viper previously so with those there wasn't too much dirty work to do (headers and stuff only). Now with the camaro I'm making a mess of the floors quickly but try to keep it clean when I can. Oh well sure is fun to work on it. Good thing about that racedeck floor is that you can replace individ pieces so when I really destroy one I can pop it out and throw in a spare. The garage is fun though. I hang out at the table and stare at the car all the time thinking about future plans.

Never finished for sure. It's so hard not to rush out and buy everthing I want but can't do that anyway financially and need to pay along the way. My sights are set next on getting my brakes working better. Just have stock disc front/drum rear with manual master so they are scary. I'll probably at least add power brakes next and maybe a new steering box after that. Not really going for protouring, but better brakes and steering would make it more enjoyable to drive. Lately I've finally gotten it reliable and driveable so I'm really having a blast just being able to fire it up and go for a cruise. Car sure is fun.

I've had a picture of your car saved well before I got my camaro. Love the look of yours so much and the quality build is awesome. Love to get mine there someday but it will happen.

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 01:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

From bottom up your car has it all over mine it is sick to the bone.

I went with Wilwood on all four corners and a 7/8" Wilwood polished master I didn't have room for a booster they seeem to be much better than the 8mm GM after market stuff I had before.I have a rack and march PS pump that I need to work on this winter.I also want to replace my lifters and get my headers recoated.

You dont realy need a detached garage when you have a car as clean as yours.

And last I hope I did not offend you about the two boys in the seat together when my 15 yr old was about 4 I had him sitting on my lap driving in my neighbor hood and got pulled over.The policeman asked for the truth or if I would like a $120 negligence driving ticket so I told him my son was driving.I bet you were the talk of the school.I is tuff with no back seat we go to the OC cruzin weekend and my wife has to ride the bus with a the hispanics down to the inlet.Pleasedont take offence as I dont want to pi$$ a Fellow Pro-Streeter it would be a different story if you were Pro-Touring..LOL...Anyway keep posting I dont think I've seen much from you or have we.

PRO.ST69orange

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 02:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Car looks real good. I like the stance. I have my low also and beat the hell out of my 700.00 headers. Just watch what you go over so they dont get hit. I finally got tired of it so I put a taller tire on the front. Now I have more clearance.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 02:18 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

The stance is just right now, well done. You shouldn't habe any problems if you are a careful driver (and I know you are).

Take a picture of the back seat area and I/we can maybe come up with an idea to help you out so the boys can all fit (safely).

The car looks real good. I used to pick up my kids in my Camaro too and it was always fun.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 03:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

How about the new 69 Camaro rumble seat...lol...OK not so funny but in my mind it did ok...

PRO.ST69orange

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Car looks real good. I like the stance. I have my low also and beat the hell out of my 700.00 headers. Just watch what you go over so they dont get hit. I finally got tired of it so I put a taller tire on the front. Now I have more clearance.
Thanks man! I do try to be careful but I bet my hookers are 2" off the ground and are going to see some scraping but I just had to have THE stance I've been wanting. Getting in my garage I high center some but most places it seems ok.

Quote:
From bottom up your car has it all over mine it is sick to the bone.

I went with Wilwood on all four corners and a 7/8" Wilwood polished master I didn't have room for a booster they seeem to be much better than the 8mm GM after market stuff I had before.I have a rack and march PS pump that I need to work on this winter.I also want to replace my lifters and get my headers recoated.

You dont realy need a detached garage when you have a car as clean as yours.

And last I hope I did not offend you about the two boys in the seat together when my 15 yr old was about 4 I had him sitting on my lap driving in my neighbor hood and got pulled over.The policeman asked for the truth or if I would like a $120 negligence driving ticket so I told him my son was driving.I bet you were the talk of the school.I is tuff with no back seat we go to the OC cruzin weekend and my wife has to ride the bus with a the hispanics down to the inlet.Pleasedont take offence as I dont want to pi$$ a Fellow Pro-Streeter it would be a different story if you were Pro-Touring..LOL...Anyway keep posting I dont think I've seen much from you or have we.
Thanks for the compliments Dave. So with a high quality set of calipers like the wilwoods and NO booster are you happy with the braking power? I guess nascar guys do it. I'm really worried about panic braking right now. For cost I was hoping to add a dual diaphram booster for clearance and not tackle all the cost of new calipers yet. What do you think of using a rack versus a quick ratio box like a Lee?

No offense at all on the boys. Believe me, I'd rather hang out with guys that actually care about the well being of the kids too. I love those little guys like crazy and really wouldn't do anything to endanger them. You speak from experience about being careful and I can appreciate that and take it well. I'll follow up with a quick story about ME driving as a kid in a minute...

That's funny about having to kick your wife out to ride the bus. ha ha No offense at all. I check out the protouring sites sometimes but this site is where I fit. I guess being prostreet makes me a little redneck and that's alright with me. I am from Kentucky and all...

yea, I'm new since I've only have my camaro less than a year and haven't posted too much. I'm the type that uses my ears more than my mouth so I have a lot to learn but love to read all the great info here and enjoy looking at all the projects. Looking forward to being more involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
The stance is just right now, well done. You shouldn't habe any problems if you are a careful driver (and I know you are).

Take a picture of the back seat area and I/we can maybe come up with an idea to help you out so the boys can all fit (safely).

The car looks real good. I used to pick up my kids in my Camaro too and it was always fun.
Thanks! Here are couple pics that show some of it. I actually searched the site and web for back seats in tubbed cars but didn't come up with much.

Quote:
How about the new 69 Camaro rumble seat...lol...OK not so funny but in my mind it did ok...
lol!

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
David

Here's what I had done to the area between the wheel tubs.

It's hard to see in this picture but the seat fills the area between the tubs. It sits flush with the tubs to help "hide" them. It's upholstered in the same pattern as the covers on the front seats.

Pro Street here as well so I guess I'm as big of a redneck as you are Chad

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 09, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Ok Dave, here's my driving story I alluded to above -

When I was 8 years old I'm hanging out in the driveway and my stepdad asks if I want to drive the car. Turns out my stepdad was an alcoholic and must have been pretty drunk at the time. So I hop in my moms Chevette (funny i know) and my big sister who is 10 gets in the backseat and my stepdad is riding shotgun. So I start out pretty good since my real dad took me to a rock quarry a couple times and let me give it a go in his truck. I'm cruising through my neighborhood barely able to see over the wheel. The look on my little buddies faces seeing me cruise by was hilarious. i still remember that to this day.

After going around the block a few times I finally head back into our driveway. Then my little 8 year old brain takes over and it all goes wrong. I get the bright idea that when i pull in the driveway I'm going to SLAM on the BRAKES and scare my big sister. What little brother wouldn't? So about the time I get up to the garage I go to REALLY stomp on the brakes.

What do I do? I accidently stomped on the GAS instead! Yep, we go hauling right into the garage full steam. (the garage doors were open)

The craziest part is of all things, my stepdad had just bought a PERFECTLY restored 1950 Mercury for my mom's birthday. Of course it was backed into the garage right on the same side I'm now careening into.

You guessed it. BAM! Before I know what happend I have gone full throttle right into the front end of my moms pristine 50 merc that was her bday present!

I couldn't belive what I had done. I just sat there and teared up not knowing if I would see my 9th birthday. My little prank had gone horribly wrong.

After I finally got the courage to pull myself from behind the wheel I realized everyone was ok and they certainly were surprised alright but not what I intended.

We creep to the front to see the damage and this is when I learn the difference between 1950 iron and 1982 tin can Chevettes. NOT A SCRATCH on the old merc! The Chevettes had seen better days but I couldn't believe it. I might live through this after all! The merc was alive!

Good news was that the old wheezy chevette didn't exactly hook hard when I nailed the gas. Heck we had to turn off the ac just to get up hills in that thing. That coupled with some good old iron on the merc helped me live another day. Thankfully my mom blamed my stepdad for allowing such events and I got out pretty clean.

I guess after knowing what SOME stepdads do I think I'm being a pretty safe guy these days. ha ha. If I use seatbelts on the boys, don't let them drive and don't have a drop to drink I've increased the safety margin 10-fold compared to my upbringing! LOL.

That was about the end of my moms marriage to THAT one. Hmmm I wonder.

Anyone else have some funny/stupid stories to confess?....

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

Last edited by 69bigblok; Nov 14th, 09 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode