Carpet in a Pro Street - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brett

Carpet in a Pro Street

Looking for some ideas for carpet. I have a brand new carpet set so the front is a gimme. How do you guys handle the rear? I would like to see if the piece I have for the rear can be reworked to fit somehow.

Any suggestions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 08:25 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: Carpet in a Pro Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Looking for some ideas for carpet. I have a brand new carpet set so the front is a gimme. How do you guys handle the rear? I would like to see if the piece I have for the rear can be reworked to fit somehow.

Any suggestions...
When I purchased the carpet for my car at a local Camaro restoration company I had them purchase some unmolded carpet from Auto Custom Carpets and that's what was used to carpet the area around the wheel tubs and custom rear seat. I "think" I had to purchase 4 yards.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brett

Thanks David,
I typed in that name and came up with a website. We have a good shop here in town that I was thinking about talking to, it looks like I can get the extra material needed from ACC. I was thinking of just painting the tubs but maybe having carpet there might help with sound deadening.
So I'm guessing you had a molded piece of rear carpet and just had them add to it?

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 03:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I did what David did. My interior is about 15 years old and out dated to todays standard. But I used the back piece that came in the kit. Just cut it around the roll bar and along the egde of the tubs. Added a webbing to the edge. Then applied dynamat over the rear sheetmetal. You definately want to do this,,it wont sound like a tin can. You can make templets out of poster board then transfer it to the carpet. I made the tubs in 2 pieces the sewed them together. You will have to have a heavy duty sewing machine to do it or take them to a upholstery shop to have sewed.

You can also see the small floor mats too.

I used the 3m glue on the carpet.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 03:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I bought exrta carpet as well to do just up to where the frame rails are but couldn't get it to lay flat over the tunel.Does your tunel go all the back to where the frame rails jump up.I used the back carpet but turned it backwards and used a heat gun and some weights to get the mold back to flat in spots.Over the wheel tubs I used luan plywood and abs plastic made panels and covered them with tweed.I know tweed is out dated and I wish I had used vinyl.I eventuly want to get my interior redone by some pros...
This is what I did on the tubs...

PRO.ST69orange

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
I bought exrta carpet as well to do just up to where the frame rails are but couldn't get it to lay flat over the tunel.Does your tunel go all the back to where the frame rails jump up.I used the back carpet but turned it backwards and used a heat gun and some weights to get the mold back to flat in spots.Over the wheel tubs I used luan plywood and abs plastic made panels and covered them with tweed.I know tweed is out dated and I wish I had used vinyl.I eventuly want to get my interior redone by some pros...
This is what I did on the tubs...

Dave it still looks good.

Mike

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 09:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

J$w nova sells the carpet by the sq ft that matches up to the stock pile for the camaro's and nova's..cut and trim to fit your tubs..
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Thanks David,
I typed in that name and came up with a website. We have a good shop here in town that I was thinking about talking to, it looks like I can get the extra material needed from ACC. I was thinking of just painting the tubs but maybe having carpet there might help with sound deadening.
So I'm guessing you had a molded piece of rear carpet and just had them add to it?
I wasn't able to use the molded rear portion of the carpet kit.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I did what David did. My interior is about 15 years old and out dated to todays standard. But I used the back piece that came in the kit. Just cut it around the roll bar and along the egde of the tubs. Added a webbing to the edge. Then applied dynamat over the rear sheetmetal. You definately want to do this,,it wont sound like a tin can. You can make templets out of poster board then transfer it to the carpet. I made the tubs in 2 pieces the sewed them together. You will have to have a heavy duty sewing machine to do it or take them to a upholstery shop to have sewed.

You can also see the small floor mats too.

I used the 3m glue on the carpet.

Still looks good Mike & I agree......DynaMat & carpet on the tubs significantly reduces road noise....I did the same thing and also suggest Rattlehead do the same!!!!!!!!!

David F.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 04:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Dave it still looks good.
Thanks Mike I would like an interior like in the post from Shannon's interiors but I don't have 20K....

PRO.ST69orange

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 04:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Thanks Mike I would like an interior like in the post from Shannon's interiors but I don't have 20K....

Yes he defintely does nice work and you are in the ball park on the price.

Mike

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 04:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
I wasn't able to use the molded rear portion of the carpet kit.......

Still looks good Mike & I agree......DynaMat & carpet on the tubs significantly reduces road noise....I did the same thing and also suggest Rattlehead do the same!!!!!!!!!

David F.
I did dyna mat and spray sound deadener plus spray in bed liner underneath and its still loud....But its pro street gotta love it....

PRO.ST69orange

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
I did dyna mat and spray sound deadener plus spray in bed liner underneath and its still loud....But its pro street gotta love it....
I used 3M undercoating in spray cans on the underside of the back half of my car.......talk about a job!!!!!...but I did it !!!!

How loud is your car Dave????? Can you actually hear the radio in it without cranking it to the max on the volume control????? I had considered a radio in my Camaro but now I'm glad I saved the funds to spend them on something else.....I wouldn't have been able to hear the radio in my Camaro with my BB. Not trying to or make you angry...just curious . How about you Mike......radio or not in your Pro Streeter???

David F.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 05:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

My car is pretty quiet but not as quiet as the wifes 2010 and she reminds me of this.She calls my car the bucket of bolts as the ride is not quite as good as her car either...

PRO.ST69orange

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 05:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
I used 3M undercoating in spray cans on the underside of the back half of my car.......talk about a job!!!!!...but I did it !!!!

How loud is your car Dave????? Can you actually hear the radio in it without cranking it to the max on the volume control????? I had considered a radio in my Camaro but now I'm glad I saved the funds to spend them on something else.....I wouldn't have been able to hear the radio in my Camaro with my BB. Not trying to or make you angry...just curious . How about you Mike......radio or not in your Pro Streeter???

David F.

Hell yes I got a stereo in my car. I only got 6 x 9 speakers in the back and a cd player. Small speakers in the kick panels. I have no problem hearing my stereo. But I have my exhaust out the back on my car also. The real noise is behind my car.

I'm not a big stereo guy but mine suits me fine. I just listen to cd's all the time. I have a antenna under the dash but it doesnt work very good.

I drive sometimes 1-1/2 hours away to shows and cruises.

The stereo is in the factory place and I cut a hole in the dash for it.

Here is the 6x9 I have in the back. They are hooked to a amp under the drivers seat.

Here is the small ones in the factory kick panels with factory covers. They are hooked just to the stereo. Really cant hear them. They are right under the roll bar,

Mike

Last edited by prostreet69camaro; Dec 29th, 09 at 03:28 AM.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 01:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

I have my antena under the dash as well and there is no reception at all....

Mike thats the first I've seen the inside back of your car looks real nice.....No package tray speakers in the vertical...

PRO.ST69orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode